C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 81 with some issues

Old 04-20-2017, 12:31 PM
DVAST8R_88
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default New to me 81 with some issues

I was last on the forum with a Corvette back in 2004!

I just picked up an 81 coupe Tuesday night, and drove it a round a bit yesterday (and today). It's an awesome car. It does have a few issues, though. I thought I would list them out and get some opinions instead of making a thread for each one.

The car has just under 87k miles on it.

First off, the previous owner replaced the carb and distributor with non-computer versions. It runs great, though the choke needs some help. The problem is, the choke light on my dash is always on. The wire is connected to the choke, so I am not sure what else to do. Is it because it doesn't have the original carb? Do I need to remove the bulb from the dash or is there a better way?

Also, as is common, my steering is very loose. I thought I would adjust the lash, based on numerous other threads. I loosened the locking nut what I thought was a goodly amount, but the adjustment screw wouldn't budge. It would loosen just a hair, but not tighten. Then my wife wanted to go for a ride, so I snugged down the locking nut and went. Did I just not back off the locking nut enough to adjust it, or is something else going on? It looks like I have some threads still showing on the adjuster. The rag gear looks like it is brand new, btw.

The center gauges appear to work, even the clock, except for the temperature gauge. It just sits there with the needle near 200 like the pictures online for replacements. The wire is attached to the sending unit, but looks pretty rusty. Maybe wire brush it clean it off, or is something dead?

My cigar lighter is non-functional, but my courtesy lights and dashboard clock work. Any ideas before I start taking the console apart?

Ok, lastly, I think; my speedometer is very bouncy under 20 mph, and does not read the correct speed when I am moving. I read 32 when going 35, but reads close to 45 when going 45, and then only read 60 when going 65. Do I need a new cable, maybe?

Input and opinions are welcome.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Choke light has nothing to do with the carb/distributor replacement. Make sure you have 12v to the choke, if you do test the choke for continuity.

Temperature gauge has either failed or is not getting power. You will probably need to remove the gauges to check this.

Test the lighter to see what you are missing, 12v or ground. But you will have to remove the side panel once you know anyway.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:31 PM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Very nice looking '81...do you have more pictures...also what is the exterior color?...
Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM
DVAST8R_88
Instructor

Thanks, Antz81. I'll probably do some checking tonight.

As far as the color goes, it's dark green. Saddle or Tan interior, whatever you want to call it. I have more pics, but will post just a couple. I don't want to flood the thread!

Old 04-20-2017, 04:44 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I have changed over a 1981 vette to a regular carb and distributer and the choke lite did not come on .I would check to see if computer is still connected.on my 82 I just changed the power steering control valve .that was were all the play in the steering was.i would replace the coolant sensor .what distributer do you have ?if its the factory one then you have no advance.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 PM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Great looking car, I like the color combo. I am your neighbor up here in north Dayton.
Take your time old cars take a while to sort out, speedo could be a cable.
To check raise or lift the car safely remove transmission end of cable use a drill to spin the cable watch the speedo if it improves it is not the cable.
Good luck
Old 04-20-2017, 05:07 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

The center gauges appear to work, even the clock, except for the temperature gauge. It just sits there with the needle near 200 like the pictures online for replacements. The wire is attached to the sending unit, but looks pretty rusty. Maybe wire brush it clean it off, or is something dead?
DEFINITELY wire brush the sensor contact and clean the terminal in the connector (look up Packard 56 connectors) if you don't know how to remove the terminals. Before ordering a new gauge check the wire for continuity between the sensor and the connector at the gauge pack. Also carefully examine the plastic printed circuit in the gauge pack as they tend to delaminate over time.

My cigar lighter is non-functional, but my courtesy lights and dashboard clock work. Any ideas before I start taking the console apart?
All are on the same circuit. If my '79 is any measure the cigar lighter is often not working because one or more of the wires to it has been cut/ripped apart by someone who didn't know how to remove the lighter body from the bezel. It's in two parts and unscrews.

Ok, lastly, I think; my speedometer is very bouncy under 20 mph, and does not read the correct speed when I am moving. I read 32 when going 35, but reads close to 45 when going 45, and then only read 60 when going 65. Do I need a new cable, maybe?
Before replacing the cable(s) lubricate them with spray graphite. If you have cruise control the speedo cable is in two pieces that meet the cruise control transducer near the brake booster. The lower (longer) cable is likely the one most in need of lube. Disconnect at both ends and spray in the lubricant at the top until the fluid that carries the graphite leaks out the bottom. Whatever you do, DO NOT use grease or similar on the upper cable as it will be forced into the speedo and ruin it.

Last edited by SwampeastMike; 04-20-2017 at 05:08 PM. Reason: corrected formatting
Old 04-20-2017, 05:56 PM
tysonsbeak
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check your choke heater relay located under the centre console.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:18 PM
DVAST8R_88
Instructor

The previous owner said he got the carb and distributor from a 79 vette.

It was just pouring outside. I might have to wait a bit to go out and do any trouble shooting.

I do know that I have to charge the AC system. It has been converted, and ran last summer, but isn't working right now. That made for a hot and humid ride home from work in this afternoon's thunderstorm. At least the wipers work!

I missed not having a car to tinker with.

Thanks for all the info, guys.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:21 PM
DVAST8R_88
Instructor

Dag on it. I snuck out in the driveway between downpours and tried to hook up my do it yourself AC hoses and gauges. I couldn't get a reading or anything to work because the compressor clutch kept cycling off and on. I think that usually means low freon.

Is there a trick to this or am I going to have to take it somewhere?
Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 PM
jef602
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the color combo , is it the original color paint ?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:01 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

A '79 (except perhaps California) carburetor uses a non-electric choke.

An A/C system that [supposedly] worked last summer for the previous owner but isn't working now and shows signs of low charge is 99.9% certain to have leak(s). If ALL of the "O" rings/gaskets were NOT replaced when the refrigerant was changed from R12 then that alone is a likely reason for loss of refrigerant. The accumulator/drier in old systems that quit working should normally be replaced and while it's not an expensive component it is an absolute bitch to access--thus the reason it's often not replaced.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by DVAST8R_88
Dag on it. I snuck out in the driveway between downpours and tried to hook up my do it yourself AC hoses and gauges. I couldn't get a reading or anything to work because the compressor clutch kept cycling off and on. I think that usually means low freon.

Is there a trick to this or am I going to have to take it somewhere?
Stock 81 takes 3 lbs R-12. Conversion uses a tad more R-134a . Unless you know the Temps and pressures, you cannot charge it correctly. They also use incompatable different oils. If the system wasn't flushed, it will gum up.
I would take it in, change the accumulator, have it flushed, and fund the leak.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

doing the ac right can cost a little but done right sure is worth it
"ac works just needs freon" ads
Old 04-20-2017, 09:22 PM
DVAST8R_88
Instructor

Not sure what the original color might have been. I don't see any indication of it being another color at one time anywhere on the car.

As for the AC, I just got done doing a compressor/accumulator/orifice tube on my Jaguar X-type last fall. The dealer wanted $2,000 to do it. Luckily, my son's best friend's dad works in a garage and did the labor for free (because he owed me). I got the parts from Rock Auto. I guess I'll have to take this in and get it checked out. Might as well have them check the blower fan as well. When I turn it on high, I just get a gentle breeze from the vents. At least it blows from the correct vents and not the heat/defroster.

I'll update you all as I find things out.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 PM
DVAST8R_88
Instructor

Couple more pics, including the paint/trim tag.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 PM
DVAST8R_88
Instructor

According to some paint websites, green of any kind was never a color option on an '81.

Previous owner did mention a re-spray, but didn't say if he changed the color or not. I like it, though.

Get notified of new replies

To New to me 81 with some issues

Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Original paint was beige, interior was dark red leather
The following users liked this post:
DVAST8R_88 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:41 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

If the change over to 134 was done last year and it worked good,then they changed the oil in the compressor .but they may not have changed the O-rings over to the new green ones that will not leak.as cheap as 134 is put a couple of cans in and see if it works.It may last the summer .if it does not last very long then you have a leak that will have to be fixed soon.Taking it in and getting it checked out is the best thing to do ,but it is also the most expensive.
The following users liked this post:
DVAST8R_88 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:58 PM
DVAST8R_88
Instructor

Beige with dark red leather? Woah, that's different than what I have now!

He did say he recovered the seats, with new foam, etc. It appears he did the entire interior.

As to the AC, I'd like to put a can of 134 in, but it doesn't look like it wants to flow into the system. Using one system (I forget the name, but it has a gauge integral with the trigger on top of the large can), I can see the pressure pulse when the clutch engages, but nothing seems to flow. With the second system (hose and gauge which screws onto a small can), the gauge doesn't even move, and when I open the valve, nothing happens.

Maybe I am not engaging the valve fully in the fitting with the second system.

If I can get it work for the summer, I can worry about fixing the ac properly while it is put away for the winter.

Last edited by DVAST8R_88; 04-21-2017 at 03:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me 81 with some issues