C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket tach bouncing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:41 PM
vannmike
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Aftermarket tach bouncing.

I recently installed a 4l80e into a 77 corvette with a US shift controller, also installed electronic tach and speedo at the same time. The problem I'm having is my tach is acting up. With the key in the on position, the tach will just slightly bump up and down. It's a consistent flutter. And you can hear it in the speakers..this is with the engine off/key on. The us shift controller is registering this bump as well. Basically it will read 95-100 rpms with key on- engine off.. any thoughts?

this is causing issues with WOT throttle shifts because the controller uses rpms to determine WOT shifts..
Old 04-20-2017, 02:04 PM
kernalclink
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vannmike
I recently installed a 4l80e into a 77 corvette with a US shift controller, also installed electronic tach and speedo at the same time. The problem I'm having is my tach is acting up. With the key in the on position, the tach will just slightly bump up and down. It's a consistent flutter. And you can hear it in the speakers..this is with the engine off/key on. The us shift controller is registering this bump as well. Basically it will read 95-100 rpms with key on- engine off.. any thoughts?

this is causing issues with WOT throttle shifts because the controller uses rpms to determine WOT shifts..
I would start with checking your grounds...
Old 04-20-2017, 02:39 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by kernalclink
I would start with checking your grounds...

The noise in the speakers is indicating a problem in the +12V power lines or grounds.

Have you added any other new electronics?
Old 04-20-2017, 04:45 PM
vannmike
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem350

The noise in the speakers is indicating a problem in the +12V power lines or grounds.

Have you added any other new electronics?
yeah. Added them at the same time I did all this. Sub, all the autometer gauges in center dash as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket tach bouncing.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket tach bouncing.