C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Bushings and Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 05:34 PM
turbosl2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Suspension Bushings and Shocks

Does anyone have a link to a DIY for replacing the bushings in the suspension on a 1980 corvette. I want to see the tools that are needed so i can gauge how big of a job it is. I was looking at this kit
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-3-18123g
Has anyone used this kit or recommend others? I was thinking KYB shocks as replacements. I have used them before and they are decent and have a good value. Thoughts.
This is not a prestine car, its a driver and we dont want to go overboard on the budget.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-29-2017, 07:28 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosl2
Does anyone have a link to a DIY for replacing the bushings in the suspension on a 1980 corvette. I want to see the tools that are needed so i can gauge how big of a job it is. I was looking at this kit
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-3-18123g
Has anyone used this kit or recommend others? I was thinking KYB shocks as replacements. I have used them before and they are decent and have a good value. Thoughts.
This is not a prestine car, its a driver and we dont want to go overboard on the budget.

Thanks for the help
That kit is as good as most. I got the one for my 68 from Ecklers, but the components are similar, depending on whether you want polyurethane or the stock rubber bushings. If you are going to do the A-arm bushings, invest in the tool to press out the old bushings and press in the new ones. Makes the job easier and you will not risk bending the A-arm or setting your garage on fire trying to burn out the old bushings.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:08 PM
turbosl2
Instructor

Thanks, what tool are you referring to?
Old 04-29-2017, 08:52 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default uper control arm bushing tool

Thanks, what tool are you referring to?
Most vendors call it an upper control arm bushing tool for GM, Ford, Chrysler. Check on ebay- I got one for about $120. It works like a tie rod end tool- uses the threaded bolt to push out the old bushing and also uses the bolt to press in the new bushing without pounding it with a hammer and bending bending the A arm.
The following users liked this post:
EarlyC34me (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 11:39 PM
turbosl2
Instructor

Ok thanks for the info. Have you seen any writeups on the bushing installation? How involved is the process?
Old 04-30-2017, 08:09 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

As long as you are pressing stuff in, might as well take a look at your lower shock mounts also.

The factory specifies a BP19 bar pin type lower mount with 2.62" holt-to-hole mounting and 3.19" length. This is even a little sloppy from the factory as the lower control arms nuts are actually about 2.8" so the mouting bolt is at the very end of the bar. It is close enough though so as long as the shock you buy has the proper bar pin and you perfectly center them when mounting you are okay.

The issue is that many of the lower end priced shocks (Gabriel, Monroe, Delco, etc) repurpose the lower bar pin from the GM intermediate line to save money which uses a BP17 or worse a BP30 which makes the mounting only marginally close to fitting due to the shorter total length of the bar. You either need to live with the fact your shock lower mount may come unattached at some point or you install with extra large washers to give some extra surface area.

What I did was buy a replacement BP8 bar pin from SkyJacker (the 4x4 shock guys). It was less then $3 from Jegs and comes with new red polyurethane bushings. The 2.87" closed hole mount is near perfect to the lower control arms nut spacing and it is much higher quality than the cheap aftermarket stuff. Notice the thin-wall, mild steel, split-tube compared to the thick wall, stainless, welded seam tube.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Skyjacker/825/BP8/10002/-1

I used my Harbor Freight 2 ton press but could have easily used a bench vice. They came out and went in easily.

The below is a pic of the Delco shocks. Notice that the right bolt washer was barely making contact with the bar pin in the last picture.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 04-30-2017 at 10:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dynra Rockets:
CA_WxMan (04-30-2017), Wee (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:00 AM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Nice tip....

Brian
Old 04-30-2017, 12:00 PM
turbosl2
Instructor

Yes great tip. I have a small 2 ton press from HF too. It seems I will have to order the control arm press to do the rest.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:07 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...t+end+bushings a 1inch and 1 forth socket can do the work .a press would be best .
Old 04-30-2017, 12:17 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

I replaced my upper control arm bushings a few years back. I honestly do not remember the exact process I went though, I was just "MacGyver-ing" it as I went but I was able to use the tools I already had in my tool chest. Large flatblade screwdrivers, sockets, gear puller, punches, BFH, etc.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 04-30-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:45 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

one more pic...

Old 04-30-2017, 01:18 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

upper A arm removed on bench

threaded rod, washers and nuts going thru shock hole in upper A arm

Ok thanks for the info. Have you seen any writeups on the bushing installation? How involved is the process?
Not sure how much suspension work you have done. There is a lot more work just getting the A arms out. You need a spring compressor to safely let the tension off the coil spring and also to re- install the spring when you put everything back together. I used a tip from another forum member and switched a long threaded rod, washers, nuts and spacer pipe on the spring compressor and ran the rod up thru the hole for the shock absorber on the upper A arm. This allowed you better access and leverage getting the spring back on. The other functions for loosening ball joints and removing the A arms are covered in most of the shop manuals for Corvette.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:18 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I use a similar method to remove the spring tension. I use the threaded rod, but no spring hooks, run it down through the lower control arm shock hole and put on a large washer and nut, top and bottom. No chance of anything slipping and getting away.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:23 PM
turbosl2
Instructor

Originally Posted by ronarndt

upper A arm removed on bench

threaded rod, washers and nuts going thru shock hole in upper A arm

Not sure how much suspension work you have done. There is a lot more work just getting the A arms out. You need a spring compressor to safely let the tension off the coil spring and also to re- install the spring when you put everything back together. I used a tip from another forum member and switched a long threaded rod, washers, nuts and spacer pipe on the spring compressor and ran the rod up thru the hole for the shock absorber on the upper A arm. This allowed you better access and leverage getting the spring back on. The other functions for loosening ball joints and removing the A arms are covered in most of the shop manuals for Corvette.

This was was what I was expecting. I have done this before. It's for a friends car and he is getting a squeak when you go over bumps. I suspect it's the control arm bushings. I plan to take a look tomorrow and see if the bushings are dried or cracked.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:37 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by '75
I use a similar method to remove the spring tension. I use the threaded rod, but no spring hooks, run it down through the lower control arm shock hole and put on a large washer and nut, top and bottom. No chance of anything slipping and getting away.
That's an even better way to compress the spring. Wish I had thought about it when I did my rebuild. With the spring hooks, the spring bends just enough that it is not in proper position when you reassemble it. I had a come-along fastened to the frame to pull it so the spring would drop into the recessed grove on the A arm. Looked like a real redneck setup.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension Bushings and Shocks

Quick Reply: Suspension Bushings and Shocks