C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can aftermarket parts help the original hi-performance engines?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 06:16 PM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can aftermarket parts help the original hi-performance engines?

i know, this question seems stupid, but can aftermarket parts help engines like the LT-1? in other words, will air flow research heads flow better than stock lt-1, etc :confused:
Old 09-27-2002, 06:46 PM
ericshaw
Racer

Default Re: Can aftermarket parts help the original hi-performance engines? (garagedweller2)

I'd check the flow numbers on the aftermarket heads against those of your LT-1 heads just to make sure you're not taking a step down.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:06 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Can aftermarket parts help the original hi-performance engines? (ericshaw)

sure can help :yesnod:
Old 09-27-2002, 08:02 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Can aftermarket parts help the original hi-performance engines? (QuickVet)

Everything you do to an engine is dependent on "matched" components. So if the heads can flow a lot but you have a mild cam then you gain very little. The opposite is also true. Too much cam and peanut heads... Big cam, big heads but low compression are not a good match either. Many people who install a cam without matching the rest of their set-up have been dissapointed. It is all a big compromise between intake,cam,head design, exhaust, and even gear ratio. That's why there are so many opinions on what works and what doesn't. Everything works together as a package. Sometimes the factory set-up is hard to beat. Think about the average guy trying to make a 350 engine from aftermarket parts that would be drivable on a daily basis AND outrun a stock C-5.... With A/C running!!. Not very likely without a lot of experimenting ans mega $$. :eek:

[Modified by silvervetteman, 7:03 PM 9/27/2002]
Old 09-27-2002, 09:06 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Can aftermarket parts help the original hi-performance engines? (garagedweller2)

i know, this question seems stupid, but can aftermarket parts help engines like the LT-1? in other words, will air flow research heads flow better than stock lt-1, etc :confused:
Compared to something like an L48, there would be less room for improvement with an LT-1 but there would still be plenty of room, especially in the heads. The LT-1 came with a healthy cam so there wouldn't be as much to gain there but still some room). It came with a 780 cfm Holley so not much room there but I'd think a modern aftermaket intake manifold would be an improvement. IMHO, the single biggest power improvement to an LT-1 would come from better heads. While the original heads were an improvement over the standard heads, they weren't close to AFR's or other modern heads (including GM's current offerings).
Old 09-27-2002, 09:07 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Can aftermarket parts help the original hi-performance engines? (silvervetteman)

I will test this theory. My 70 LT-1 is correct, but NOM. Headers, K&N filter and modern cam will be added.

Would AFR heads handle the 11:1 compression on the 70 LT-1? And is there a difference reagrding the solid lifter set up?

[Modified by Robert N, 6:09 PM 9/27/2002]
Old 09-27-2002, 10:12 PM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

ok another question, is there a better cam for hi-rpm operations than the 30/30 for sbcs and the zl1 for bbc 427s?
Old 09-27-2002, 10:20 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Default Re: Can aftermarket parts help the original hi-performance engines? (Vetterodder)

See my signature. Ive upped my h.p. from stock of 390 to about 540 with aftermarket parts.

Low cost add ons like MSD box , are simple add ons which help. But if you want to see big changes in h.p., then, youll have to bite the financial bullet and look at things like : Heads, Intake, Carb, Cam, Headers.

RR

RR
Old 09-27-2002, 10:22 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of very knowledgeable folks think that the LT-1 cam is a better overall street cam than the 30/30 cam. Check out the comments from SWCDuke in the thread below:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=393752

I also tend to agree that GM had the hi-po engine packages put together really well. Every component matched up pretty well to yield a given balance of street drivability and raw performance. Even though it was many years ago, they had lots of very smart engineers working to design, test, and match their components to deliver the results they desired.

Shannon
Old 09-28-2002, 10:31 AM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Can aftermarket parts help the original hi-performance engines? (sb69coupe)

ok so the 30/30 is the better all out cam?
Old 09-28-2002, 10:55 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

You are talking cams that are 30+ year old design. Any one who would use one of these cams (unless NCRS car) i think is wasting their money. The modern cams have much better lift and duration and the ramps are much more aggressive. I had the LT1 cam in mine and yes it could rpm no problem but there is a lot more power with the modern cam. The AFR heads I think are the best improvement I have made to my LT1. The flow numbers are way better and they weigh less. The LT1 heads are pretty much standard heads hogged out to 2.02 and 1.60 valves. There has been a lot of progress in 30+ years of engine devolpment.
Regarding using AFR heads on a 70 LT1 they would be great. My only complaint that I did not do was raise the compression to 11 to 1. With the alum. heads this should be no problem. I did raise it a little from 9 to 1 to around 10 to 1 but I should have gone more. Go with a more aggressive cam the the stock LT1 cam.
Old 09-28-2002, 05:28 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Can aftermarket parts help the original hi-performance engines? (Gordonm)

Gordonm, As mentioned I have a 70 NOM LT-1 with the 11:1 compression already. I will drop in a modern version of the LT-1 cam, add headers, and K&N. That should tweak the powerband. Granted the AFR heads would be great, but what kind of gain would I see by taking AFR heads in place of the stock? While NOM, I would be trying to rationalize $$ for hp and stock appearance.

Get notified of new replies

To Can aftermarket parts help the original hi-performance engines?

Quick Reply: Can aftermarket parts help the original hi-performance engines?