C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for best suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 04:28 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Wouldnt the answer to the threads question be different for each person and how they use his or her car?

I was lucky, my donor chassis was rebuilt with vbp front rear transverse kits, some would say its better than stock,

I am a cruiser, so all i needed was up to par stock suspension, the vbp stuff gives very little bragging rights as so many newer set ups are out there,

But how many people really need better than up to par stock?
For me the question is not whats the best but needing to know what companies are out there so I can figure out which way I want to go with my new project. Plenty of info and I got what I needed so thank you everyone and more important the pictures.
RVZIO
Old 05-05-2017, 06:42 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

For a different option, I went with the Shark Bite front coilovers double adjustable and in the back run a VBP fiberglass. I like a nice smooth, compliant ride and that is what this setup gives me. I can raise and lower the front easier when I want to run my taller redline tire/wheel combo. Bilstien shocks are recommended but I feel that they are really stiff riding. In Illinois the pot holes and rough roads don't do anything for the kidneys!
Total investment just over 1000$ dollars.
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 2305
Size:  2.34 MB
Old 05-05-2017, 08:22 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by midigike
For a different option, I went with the Shark Bite front coilovers double adjustable and in the back run a VBP fiberglass. I like a nice smooth, compliant ride and that is what this setup gives me. I can raise and lower the front easier when I want to run my taller redline tire/wheel combo. Bilstien shocks are recommended but I feel that they are really stiff riding. In Illinois the pot holes and rough roads don't do anything for the kidneys!
Total investment just over 1000$ dollars.
Attachment 48090076
Now that's a nice package and I like the price tag. Is the back also adjustable?
RVZIO
Old 05-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
IMHO the single best investment anyone will ever make towards properly sorting their C2/C3 chassis would be to learn at least the basics of vehicle dynamics in general and of the fundamental workings of our IRS specifically. With that knowledge will come the understanding that not every worthwhile improvement comes neatly packaged in a box, and not every piece of kit actually improves anything. And, whatever set of kit you may ultimately choose as a baseline from which to work, you'll have a better idea of what adjustments will put you nearest the bulls eye for your given application. Hope that's worth $.02

TSW
Do you have any resources you'd recommend reading? Particularly on the fundamental workings of our IRS, and how that relates to handling?
Old 05-05-2017, 01:36 PM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by rvzio
Now that's a nice package and I like the price tag. Is the back also adjustable?
RVZIO
Slightly, just have the adjustability of the spring bolt, currently 8" long. I have only the VBP fiberglass spring and Delco shocks for a smooth ride to suit my top down and cruising style!
Old 05-05-2017, 02:14 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,698 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Use caution adding longer bolts to the rear spring to lower the rear ride height. I've seen numerous photographs showing the end of an 8" or longer bolt used that extends lower than the lip of the rear wheels. Imagine what could happen at 60 mph when the spring bolt contacted the roadway with a flat tire or blowout.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:13 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Domobomb
Do you have any resources you'd recommend reading? Particularly on the fundamental workings of our IRS, and how that relates to handling?
Here are some good articles written about our suspensions by very knowledgeable people. They don't get too deep in theory, but rather stay to practical instructions.

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/vip.pdf

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/guldstrand/

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/CorvetteHandling.pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by Jason Staley:
Domobomb (05-06-2017), Metalhead140 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 02:39 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
I went with the street and slalom kit. Handles and rides really great. Added a spreader bar, steeroids R&P conversion, and 18" y-rated tires and it just got better and better with each mod.
It depends on what you are looking to do with the car? If you are doing mostly street driving with an occasional track event, then This ^ is probably the best bang for the buck. I essentially have this suspension with some modifications I put together over the last 30 years:

Front:

550 springs 1 inch lower than stock
Poly Upper and lower control arm bushings
Speedirect Spreader bar
Custom blueprinted/rebuilt OEM steering box
Bilstein HD's with poly bushings
1 1/8 OEM sway bar with poly bushings
255/45/17 ZR ultra high performance summer only tires

Rear:

VBP 360 composite spring with poly cushings
Competition adjustable heim joint strut bars
Bilstein Sports
OEM type GM style 3/4 inch rear sway bar with poly bushings
255/50/ZR UH tires

The car rides really nice...firm but not harsh and handles MUCH better than it ever did with the factory gymkhana suspension with direct steering with no slop. The car drives like a modern sports car but is mostly street driven. All in about $1,000 dollars without 17 inch rims and tires......Probs the best bang for the dollars to improve the overall driving experience without breaking the bank
The following users liked this post:
pippo350 (10-30-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Capt Ken
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default a thought

Like many cars of it's age, I can't get the front end aligned properly because the shock towers have bent inward. Only solution is to get the frame straightened. Have a spreader bar to minimize any more collapse, car handles fine on the road, but not drive like it did when new. Might want to consider getting the frame straightened then aligned properly before investing in aftermarket.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm thinking hard about some Van Steel F/R coilovers. I would like to see the new parts from DSE for a C3 Vette. Just the 1" drop spindles should help?
Of course good is not cheap, and cheap is not good.
I can only imagine how expensive the new DSE rear suspension will be?

R
Old 05-06-2017, 01:12 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Taijutsu
I'm thinking hard about some Van Steel F/R coilovers. I would like to see the new parts from DSE for a C3 Vette. Just the 1" drop spindles should help?
Of course good is not cheap, and cheap is not good.
I can only imagine how expensive the new DSE rear suspension will be?

R

Less that $200,000... but in the 5 figure range...

Old 10-29-2017, 11:52 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Hey,

Just a data point.
I was just watching the latest episode of FantomWorks. They did a Red/Orange 68 just like mine. For the suspension, they chose Sharkbite. They could have chosen anything but they went with that. (Yeah, it could be sponsored but they never actually said any names, but you could tell what it was).

I'm going Sharkbite. It may not be as race oriented as the RideTech, but I'm not paying $6,600 for the suspension when I'm only a street driver.

Happy times whatever you pick!!!!

Scott.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:07 AM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

It all depends on what you intend to do with your car .
Drive one the road no track of drag racing , stay with the stock System .
Road and track go with vansteel or ridetech .
I don’t know what works best for drag racing.
Bfit

Quick Reply: Looking for best suspension