C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine trouble with 350 small block crate motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 07:04 PM
miked123
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine trouble with 350 small block crate motor

I am having trouble starting my car. I haven't driven it in a while. When i went to start it, i pumped the accelerator and the car turned over but wouldn't start. The accelerator is working b/c I could smell gas after I tried to start it.

Below I attached a photo. the stainless steel line connected to the filter is full of gas. I don't think it (the clear cylinder) is supposed to be flooded like that. I think this is the problem. I was also told the timing belt could be off. can anyone offer advice on how to realign/replace the timing belt? I never done that before.
Attached Images   
Old 05-07-2017, 07:25 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Whoa, don't jump to conclusions. Try holding the throttle open as you turn the motor over, it might just be flooded.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:54 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

Its not April 1 so this must be a real topic.

A small block chevy does not have a timing belt. If it ran well the last time you started it is highly unlikely the timing chain is off. (it is a major effort to install a new timing chain - Google)

The ignition timing might be off, but again highly unlikely if it ran well the last time you ran it.

The glass fuel filter full of fuel is normal. Recommend you have a steel one installed as the glass tends to break allowing gas the spew all over a hot engine compartment.

Sounds like you just flooded it. Try starting with the gas pedal all the way open for 5-10 seconds(the classic method to clear a flood) or a squirt of some starting fluid down the carb. If it does not start with starting fluid then it is likely an ignition issue.

Recommend you take it to someone that knows these older engines as if you listen to the same friend that told you it was a timing belt you will probably end up screwing it up more.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 05-07-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:10 PM
ToolMan71
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for spark as well, might not be getting fire.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:10 PM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets

A small block chevy does not have a timing belt. If it ran well the last time you started it is highly unlikely the timing chain is off. (it is a major effort to install a new timing chain - Google)

The ignition timing might be off, but again highly unlikely if it ran well the last time you ran it.

The glass fuel filter full of fuel is normal. Recommend you have a steel one installed as the glass tends to break allowing gas the spew all over a hot engine compartment.

Sounds like you just flooded it. Try starting with the gas pedal all the way open for 5-10 seconds(the classic method to clear a flood) or a squirt of some starting fluid down the carb. If it does not start with starting fluid then it is likely an ignition issue.

Recommend you take it to someone that knows these older engines as if you listen to the same friend that told you it was a timing belt you will probably end up screwing it up more.

A glass filter connected with flexible lines resting up against metal is just asking for the glass to break IMO.

What year is the car? If the electronic tach (74 and newer) doesn't bounce when the engine is cranked, then you have an ignition issue.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:17 PM
george2066
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default seconds before disaster

rubber fuel line and glass filter
Old 05-07-2017, 09:40 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Although probably not your problem it looks like it is oriented incorrectly. It says IN on the side leading to the carb.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:40 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

U flooded it. Why go look for mechanical issues ? Clear the flood and enjoy
Old 05-07-2017, 11:25 PM
miked123
Instructor

Originally Posted by SH-60B
Whoa, don't jump to conclusions. Try holding the throttle open as you turn the motor over, it might just be flooded.

I have tried holding down the accelerator. Does not work.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:27 PM
miked123
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets

I tried holding down the gas pedal all the way down and tried starting it, nothing happens. Like you said i think it may be an ignition problem.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:28 PM
miked123
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmruschell

A glass filter connected with flexible lines resting up against metal is just asking for the glass to break IMO.

What year is the car? If the electronic tach (74 and newer) doesn't bounce when the engine is cranked, then you have an ignition issue.
Its a 1974 corvette. The tach needle does bounce when the engine is cranked.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:27 AM
clevan barclay
Intermediate

Gas in Carb?
Old 05-09-2017, 04:43 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by miked123
I tried holding down the gas pedal all the way down and tried starting it, nothing happens. Like you said i think it may be an ignition problem.
Take the top of the air cleaner off and Make sure you get a squirt of gas down the venturies when you rotate the throttle to wide open.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Pull a spark plug and check for a spark.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:57 PM
indy99
Melting Slicks

Location: the land of a never ending frame-off resto-mod. May Visa have mercy on my soul.
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How old is the gas??? Old gas that was not treated before storage may not have enough combustibility to start your engine. If the engine starts with starting fluid the the issue is not the ignition. It is a fuel issue. Supply, or the fuel itself.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:54 AM
miked123
Instructor

Originally Posted by ToolMan71
Check for spark as well, might not be getting fire.

yea i replaced the distribuopt and nothing happened, when i was messing with the distributor, the red wire that attaches to the clip fell out and was bent, i bent it back into shape and the car fired up first try.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:45 AM
ToolMan71
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And that was a heck of a feeling too I bet!

Originally Posted by miked123
yea i replaced the distribuopt and nothing happened, when i was messing with the distributor, the red wire that attaches to the clip fell out and was bent, i bent it back into shape and the car fired up first try.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine trouble with 350 small block crate motor

Quick Reply: Engine trouble with 350 small block crate motor