C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 no power to signal fuse

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:01 PM
spjrr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 69 no power to signal fuse

Last summer blew the signal fuse a couple of times. Parked at end of last year with blown fuse and no turn signals. The year before had the tilt/tele column apart to fix the play in it and thought maybe that was when I had probably damaged the signal switch. The car has never had an emergency flasher in it, however I had noticed a few times when the switch on the column was activated both dash signal indicators would come on when I hit the brakes and the signals wouldn't work. I would turn off the flasher column switch and everything was back to normal. Replaced the fuse this spring, no signals. Noticed that with the flasher switch on when I hit the brakes only one dash signal indicator came on. Signal switch with brake pedal depressed didn't cancel out the brake light on either side. Replaced the signal switch and still no signals, however both dash signal indicators light when emergency flasher switch is on and I hit the brakes. Also with the brakes on the appropriate side signal cancels the brake light correctly. Also replaced the flasher.

Checked with voltmeter and show no power to that little short fuse at the bottom left on the panel that had been blowing when the signals failed. Ignition switch was in the on position. Headlight, brake lights all work. Just no signals. Checked the assembly manual and based on photos of the fuse box I found online it shows a dark green and gray wire going to that fuse location. However the assembly manual shows dark green associated with the water temp gauge and sensor. I assume the gray wire is ground as is most of the grounds under the dash. I did find one dark green wire close to the fuse box in that large bundle of spaghetti and it ohms as connected to one side of the fuse.

My question is this. where does that green wire go to get its power and is that the correct color wire to that fuse as it doesn't look like it has been worked on by any bubba type which could indicate there is some short between that dark green and the correct wire for that fuse. I really don't like the idea of unscrewing the fuse block from the firewall as it is original to the car and might possibly cause more problems due to its age.

Thanks,

Mark Smith
Old 05-20-2017, 07:47 PM
spjrr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem solved. Must be a short somewhere in the backup light portion of the circuit. Isolated the signals by creating a new fused power source with a flasher, inline fuse holder connected to the purple lead of the turn signal switch. Now all works and the shorted section for the backup lights has been isolated from the turn signal circuit.

Mark Smith

Quick Reply: 69 no power to signal fuse