C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Gauge dash bezel reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Dougtov
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Center Gauge dash bezel reinstall

Hi ,
Has anyone experienced a problem reinstalling the center guage dash bezel after removing and replacing heater core in a 72 vette with AC?

I cannot find out why the bezel will not install smoothly and correct position without a lot of force. There doesn't appear to be a blockage that I can see and I don't think the heater box plenum is adjustable. For some reason the vents at the top of the bezel were the wiper switch is does not line up properly with the plastic vent to which it hooks. Appears the vent is about 1/2 to 1 " too far to the left of where it should be and its not adjustable that far with the bezel sitting cockeyed in the dash.
Any help appreciated and AIM doesn't really explain it.
I know, kinda of hard to "git the drift"
Old 05-22-2017, 04:49 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougtov
Hi ,
Has anyone experienced a problem reinstalling the center guage dash bezel after removing and replacing heater core in a 72 vette with AC?

I cannot find out why the bezel will not install smoothly and correct position without a lot of force.
Good freakin' luck. Mine didn't go back right either after I replaced the HC and had the dash apart.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:03 PM
Dougtov
Instructor

Not helpful -- but very funny!!
Old 05-22-2017, 05:07 PM
Dougtov
Instructor

Default Center Dash Bezel

In looking at the charts, photos, AIM and studying the problem, I think the answer is in the routing of the wire harness. I was placing the harness "Over" the vent but should run the majority it down along the right side of the tach and between gauge cluster and radio on the back side of the 'now broken" brand new bezel from Ecklers!
Old 05-22-2017, 07:11 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

What, FWIW, I think is the ductwork behind the dash looses flexibility and can't be squished down. It's a tight fit back there. I don't think it was designed to be taken apart 40+ years after assembly.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:29 AM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Make sure the center AC ductwork (center vents and defroster) has not sagged down from missing bolts (especially from the drivers side) and that you are lining up the vents while trying to push them in. That and the misrouted wiring harness are the two items that seem to cause a lot of frustration getting it all back together.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:53 PM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's a tip, if you haven't installed the nuts at the bottom of the cluster, use coupling/threaded rod nut's from your local hardware store, they will make it easier to install and disassemble in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To Center Gauge dash bezel reinstall

Quick Reply: Center Gauge dash bezel reinstall