C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring bolt failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:46 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Default Spring bolt failure

Here's a new one. Driving home tonight. Big bang and the rear suspension collapsed on the passenger side. Of course I'm thinking my spring broke. Crawled underneath and turns out the nut came off the spring bolt. The bolts were installed close to 20 years ago when I installed the Vette Brakes Grand Touring suspension kit and are the adjustable bolts with the nyloc nuts. Bolts seem to be Ok, but the threads have all pulled out of the nut. Anyone else run into this? I'm thinking the solution is to replace the nuts with two nuts on each side. I have the threads available. Interested in ideas.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:42 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by drwet
Here's a new one. Driving home tonight. Big bang and the rear suspension collapsed on the passenger side. Of course I'm thinking my spring broke. Crawled underneath and turns out the nut came off the spring bolt. The bolts were installed close to 20 years ago when I installed the Vette Brakes Grand Touring suspension kit and are the adjustable bolts with the nyloc nuts. Bolts seem to be Ok, but the threads have all pulled out of the nut. Anyone else run into this? I'm thinking the solution is to replace the nuts with two nuts on each side. I have the threads available. Interested in ideas.
WOW- that's not good... C2s and C3s used castle nuts on them originally- might be the best way to go.

Or you could do coilovers...no spring bolts to mess with-

Old 05-25-2017, 12:14 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Most nylock nuts are grade 5, although grade 8 are available. I would bet yours was grade 5.

Mike
Old 05-25-2017, 04:15 AM
Sunracer
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

yep most nylocs are poor quality-castle nut and cotter pin
Old 05-25-2017, 06:19 AM
Grahamred70
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I used grade 8 bolts with 2 nuts then drilled the lower nut for a split pin, belt and braces!
Graham
Old 05-25-2017, 08:26 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by v2racing
Most nylock nuts are grade 5, although grade 8 are available. I would bet yours was grade 5.

Mike
Nope. Grade 8 bolts and nyloc nuts.

I think the solution will be to replace the bolts and nuts and put an extra nut on there. They tell me a lot of the road racers do exactly that. Twice as many threads engaged distributes the load better.

Just when I think I've seen about every failure this car can throw at me!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:48 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

How close to the end of the bolt was your nut? I have the same ny-lock nut setup on mine since I installed the composite spring about 15 years ago.

The spacer on my spring came apart so I have my spring out at the moment and when I took my spring off yesterday my spring to trailing arm bolt nuts were a good 3/4 to an inch away from the end of the bolt.

I think I'm going to go get some new nuts before putting mine back together because of what you just went through. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:02 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

mine have double nuts but google "bowmalloy lock nuts"
Old 05-26-2017, 12:40 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

hmmm... note to self: Add another nut to the spring bolt.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:13 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

How VERY odd the timing of this thread.....It JUST happened to me also....and my 360 VBP spring/bolts/nylock nutz went in some 22 years ago also.....and yes, I put on double nutz too, on the pass side....

and yes, I have some mount problem, the top most piece of black material has slithered it's way to the driver side a good bit, so much that the pass side is bare to the metal.....

Old 05-26-2017, 03:11 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

the correct hardened castle nuts are slotted for cotter pins, they will not fall off.
if the threads pulled out, my guess is yours are not Grade 8.

Last edited by 69Vett; 05-26-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:00 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by theandies
How close to the end of the bolt was your nut? I have the same ny-lock nut setup on mine since I installed the composite spring about 15 years ago.

The spacer on my spring came apart so I have my spring out at the moment and when I took my spring off yesterday my spring to trailing arm bolt nuts were a good 3/4 to an inch away from the end of the bolt.

I think I'm going to go get some new nuts before putting mine back together because of what you just went through. Thanks for the heads up.
I have about 3 inches of thread showing. Not that is makes any difference when the threads strip out of the nut. I recovered the nut, and it slides freely over the bolt now. I suppose with all that thread to spare, I could put three or four nuts on there.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:39 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

You should buy the correct length bolts. I was trying to visualize how a nuts threads could strip out

If you were to jack up your car with the wheels hanging down. Do the spring ends and the nuts every loose contact. That would cause a hammering effect and beat the nut up

Maybe to lower the rear of your car you have very little tension cranked into the nuts. You can put a thinner spacer on the center of the spring and crank the nuts up to get the same ride height

I have done lots of road racing and miles on my vette and never double nutted any nylock
Old 05-28-2017, 10:44 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

The bolts and nuts are grade 8, were supplied as part of the Grand Touring suspension kit from Vette Brakes, and are designed to be adjustable. My kit has been on the car for over twenty years, although there is less than fifty thousand miles on them. I am beginning to think they have a service life and should be replaced from time to time. I would suggest anyone with a similar setup keep that in mind. I will be installing new bolts, and adding a second nut.

Get notified of new replies

To Spring bolt failure

Quick Reply: Spring bolt failure