C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan shroud removed

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 09:11 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts
Default Fan shroud removed

fan blade and shroud removed. Lotsa room now.

I have an aluminum radiator with electric fan on my 68 convert with NOM 454. I removed the stock fan some time ago- electric fan did most of the work. Today I also removed the old fan shroud, since it was way too small to cover the aluminum radiator. Should have done it long ago. Now there is lots of space in front of the engine and it looks more organized. I had to fabricate a bracket for my fuel pressure regulator and gauge, but that gave me an excuse to use my welder.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:53 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

I see rubber line and was just reading the other thread about the C3 that caught on fire.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:42 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
I see rubber line and was just reading the other thread about the C3 that caught on fire.
Get rid of the rubber fuel supply hoses Ron.

Last edited by Street Rat; 05-26-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:44 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by ronarndt

fan blade and shroud removed. Lotsa room now.

I have an aluminum radiator with electric fan on my 68 convert with NOM 454. I removed the stock fan some time ago- electric fan did most of the work. Today I also removed the old fan shroud, since it was way too small to cover the aluminum radiator. Should have done it long ago. Now there is lots of space in front of the engine and it looks more organized. I had to fabricate a bracket for my fuel pressure regulator and gauge, but that gave me an excuse to use my welder.
It might be the picture, but that alternator looks off skew.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:45 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

You are correct Big.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:19 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
You are correct Big.

Except in his grammar. Off skew should be askew.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:49 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,933 Posts

The rubber fuel line is a safety issue for sure.
I would also re-route your fuel line so that if you have a belt separate it won't hit and damage your fuel line causing a leak and or fire.

You may have some overheating issues now that you removed the fan shroud. The shroud helps to pull air through the core of the entire radiator and not just the area directly in front of the fan. I would replace the old shroud or purchase a new one built for your radiator and electric fan set up. There have been numerous threads on this forum you can research.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:03 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Hell, you all think his rubber hose carrying just carb type fuel pressures is a problem....should see what my ~45psi FI pressure hose is set on.....

see pix below.....

Old 05-27-2017, 11:21 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Thanks to all for feedback. The alternator is lined up correctly- picture makes it look out of line. The "rubber" fuel line is braided reinforced fuel line designed for the newer fuels which contain ethanol. I think the rubber is called Viton. I may upgrade later to AN fittings and hose for appearance, but running 6 psi thru the new line is not an issue. What is a problem is using the original equipment flexible fuel lines which soften when exposed to ethanol-gasoline. I have replaced those short pieces with the new composition reinforced lines.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:26 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
The rubber fuel line is a safety issue for sure.
I would also re-route your fuel line so that if you have a belt separate it won't hit and damage your fuel line causing a leak and or fire.

You may have some overheating issues now that you removed the fan shroud. The shroud helps to pull air through the core of the entire radiator and not just the area directly in front of the fan. I would replace the old shroud or purchase a new one built for your radiator and electric fan set up. There have been numerous threads on this forum you can research.
OldCarBum- I already have an electric fan with thermostat on-off control. I ran the car for several weeks without the mechanical fan and then removed the shroud, which blocked about 30% of the area on the oversized aluminum radiator. Running temp is about 10 degrees lower now.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:27 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by ronarndt
OldCarBum- I already have an electric fan with thermostat on-off control. I ran the car for several weeks without the mechanical fan and then removed the shroud, which blocked about 30% of the area on the oversized aluminum radiator. Running temp is about 10 degrees lower now.
That's interesting Ron.

Like OCB, I would think you would have cooling issues too. I currently have just the Radiator Shroud's Extension Ring removed and my Temperature Gauge reads 10 degrees higher than when it was installed. Guess I'm underestimating the efficiency of your aluminum radiator and electric fan combination.

I too would get a metal line on that Fuel Pump-to-Carburetor connection before the next start. Gasoline flames on Fiberglass makes an awful smoky fire, and the result will tear your heart out. Totally avoidable.

Steve
Old 05-28-2017, 09:15 AM
jts90vette
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

Even with metal fuel lines you can have problems, few weeks ago I backed out my 74 for a drive, as always I pop the hood and look things over as the ole girl warms up and I discover a huge fuel leak at the carb.

I shut her down, took off the air cleaner and everything looked normal. I grabbed my line wrench and but a 1/4 turn on the fuel line fitting at carb. Leak stopped. If I hadn't done my usual pre-drive inspection where would I be?.............. On Fire! You can't be to careful with cars this old.
The following users liked this post:
Cavu2u (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 12:08 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by jts90vette
Even with metal fuel lines you can have problems, few weeks ago I backed out my 74 for a drive, as always I pop the hood and look things over as the ole girl warms up and I discover a huge fuel leak at the carb.

I shut her down, took off the air cleaner and everything looked normal. I grabbed my line wrench and but a 1/4 turn on the fuel line fitting at carb. Leak stopped. If I hadn't done my usual pre-drive inspection where would I be?.............. On Fire! You can't be too careful with cars this old.
That's an excellent Tip!
Usually the odor of a fuel leak will get our attention, but sometimes THAT may not be soon enough.

And what about a loose belt, or a bolt visibly backing out?
I was stranded along the road the other day. I never noticed my 73's ammeter discharging, but I sure noticed the steam cloud from under the hood when the Alternator/Water Pump Belt gave up the ghost.The Alternator's top mounting bolt lost it's nut; something I probably would have noticed during a preflight.

Steve
Old 05-28-2017, 06:30 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

jts90vette comment about a pre-check is important. I always raise the hood and look over the engine before going anywhere in the car, despite having replaced virtually everything under the hood, on the brakes and suspension. I often check even if I do not plan on going anywhere. I think obsessive-compulsive disorder is the correct term.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:42 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

This is true and I should do it more often. Last weekend I returned from a drive on a mountainous road with drop-offs that are likely fatal, got home and saw that my steeroids u-joint linkage was loosening up.

I was never really in any danger since it was still functional and would have taken a lot more abuse before failing, but it still made my stomach drop.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:16 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 537 Likes on 363 Posts

First thing I do when I pull into the garage and turn it off after a ride is open the hood. Helps dissipate the heat that would normally build up by leaving the hood closed. Hood stays open until next drive and I close it AFTER I fire it up and warm the engine. I always give the a looksee before closing the hood.

Get notified of new replies

To Fan shroud removed

Quick Reply: Fan shroud removed