C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission cooler line leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:21 PM
4rensic22
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Transmission cooler line leak

I solved my passenger door problem and have moved onto the transmission leak. I saw fluid on the knurled nut on the speedo cable and order the parts to fix that. But in cleaning up the underside of the car it became evident that fluid was spraying everywhere. At first I suspected the pump seal. But then I found the culprit. The transmission cooling lines have been cut and a section replaced with rubber tubing. I can't get at the connections on the transmission to replace the lines. I would like to fix this without pulling the trans and or the trans/motor.

Has anyone changed the lines with the transmission in the car?
Is there a braided hose or another product that I can use to replace the rubber tubing?

I don't have a lift so maybe I just can't see the connections.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2017, 09:08 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

IIRC, there were rubber hoses in the cooler lines from the factory. You can replace them, it's not a huge amount of fun, but it can be done. Standard worm drive clamps from the parts store, but make sure you get hose that is specifically marked "Trans Cooler".
The following users liked this post:
4rensic22 (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:26 PM
4rensic22
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Transmission cooling lines

Originally Posted by TimAT
IIRC, there were rubber hoses in the cooler lines from the factory. You can replace them, it's not a huge amount of fun, but it can be done. Standard worm drive clamps from the parts store, but make sure you get hose that is specifically marked "Trans Cooler".

Good to know. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:17 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by 4rensic22
The transmission cooling lines have been cut and a section replaced with rubber tubing. I can't get at the connections on the transmission to replace the lines. I would like to fix this without pulling the trans and or the trans/motor.
The hoses used when they left the factory were located as the lines entered the radiator and included a lip that wrapped the rubber around the tranny lines when the clamp was used. So if the cooler lines were cut in the metal, more hose may not correct the leak!

Has anyone changed the lines with the transmission in the car? Is there a braided hose or another product that I can use to replace the rubber tubing?

I don't have a lift so maybe I just can't see the connections.
It's a pain but I managed to replace the cooler lines in my 78 without pulling the tranny or motor. I found that I was able to lower the transmission enough to install the new lines by removing the support bolts and using a jack to keep it lifted but lower it to access the connectors. Use flare tube wrenches and crow's feet that are intended to work with the tranny line nuts.

As suggested above, make sure you use tranny hose. I bought a kit that included the correct hose, radiator connector and worm clamps.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by hunt4cleanair; 06-01-2017 at 04:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission cooler line leak

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler line leak