C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specific hardware for front airdam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 07:44 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Specific hardware for front airdam?

Thanks in advance. I'm working through a small list of fix-its on my 1975 convertible and one of the items is to install my new aftermarket ABS airdam to the front valance. There was not one on the car when I bought it as it likely got ripped off at some point. Is there specific hardware for installing it? Often, new parts come with hardware, but not this time. Otherwise, I'll just use stainless fender washers and stainless hardware and nylock nuts unless there are captive bolts. Lastly, the car seems to run cool/normal without the airdam. Does it really aid cooling dramatically?
Old 06-03-2017, 09:24 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Highlander1732
Thanks in advance. I'm working through a small list of fix-its on my 1975 convertible and one of the items is to install my new aftermarket ABS airdam to the front valance. There was not one on the car when I bought it as it likely got ripped off at some point. Is there specific hardware for installing it? Often, new parts come with hardware, but not this time. Otherwise, I'll just use stainless fender washers and stainless hardware and nylock nuts unless there are captive bolts. Lastly, the car seems to run cool/normal without the airdam. Does it really aid cooling dramatically?
Good morning,
More often than not, installation kits are always sold seperatly for Corvette Parts.
You can get the installation kit from most all the vendors for your 75. Here are photos of what I think your installing and the installation kit (#11128K) for others to see from Paragon Reproductions. Double check, to see if the bolts are still there, maybe the previous owner screwed them back in after removing the plastic air dam. It was probably cracked and damaged, so they just took it off.
Hope this helps.
Tooch
Attached Images   

Last edited by Tooch1; 06-03-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:31 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would suggest visiting your local hardware/auto parts store for those clip nuts at least. Your life will be much easier. It's a real PITA to try to hole the air dam, push a bolt and washer thru it, find the hole in the body, then reach around all of that and install a washer and nut.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:21 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tooch1
Good morning,
More often than not, installation kits are always sold seperatly for Corvette Parts.
You can get the installation kit from most all the vendors for your 75. Here are photos of what I think your installing and the installation kit (#11128K) for others to see from Paragon Reproductions. Double check, to see if the bolts are still there, maybe the previous owner screwed them back in after removing the plastic air dam. It was probably cracked and damaged, so they just took it off.
Hope this helps.
Tooch
Thanks all for the update. Guess I'll be heading to my trusty hardware store!
Old 06-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Well, I went to the hardware store and got some j bolts and stainless fender washers as well as some stainless nylock nuts to install a $40 plastic airdam. As usual, what should be a fairly straightforward job has now turned into a minor valance restoration on a 42 year old car. Turns out all of the 3/8 bolts that needed to removed from the valance were rusted to the "L" brackets on both sides. Soaked with wd40 and promptly sheared all the heads off. Took the crusty brackets out and I've been drilling out the old bolts, grinding everything smooth and wire brushing the crap out of the brackets. Priming and painting now and will reassemble everything tomorrow with fresh hardware, etc. Still fun though getting that sense of satisfaction that it'll be done right and some future owner will be able to spend another $40 and 1/2 hour to replace at some point in the future after I tear this one off on a speedbump!
Old 06-03-2017, 05:26 PM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Well, I went to the hardware store and got some j bolts and stainless fender washers as well as some stainless nylock nuts to install a $40 plastic airdam. As usual, what should be a fairly straightforward job has now turned into a minor valance restoration on a 42 year old car. Turns out all of the 3/8 bolts that needed to removed from the valance were rusted to the "L" brackets on both sides. Soaked with wd40 and promptly sheared all the heads off. Took the crusty brackets out and I've been drilling out the old bolts, grinding everything smooth and wire brushing the crap out of the brackets. Priming and painting now and will reassemble everything tomorrow with fresh hardware, etc. Still fun though getting that sense of satisfaction that it'll be done right and some future owner will be able to spend another $40 and 1/2 hour to replace at some point in the future after I tear this one off on a speedbump!
Old 06-10-2017, 09:28 PM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome to our hobby, only slightly kidding. While these cars are fairly simple, everything become hard when age, rust etc are factored in. The fist C3's are turning FIFTY next year. Thankfully we can still buy all the parts! Post up a picture of your installed dam. Mine is still in the box, I'm fairly sure my hardware is long gone.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:27 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Originally Posted by centralcalvette

Welcome to our hobby, only slightly kidding. While these cars are fairly simple, everything become hard when age, rust etc are factored in. The fist C3's are turning FIFTY next year. Thankfully we can still buy all the parts! Post up a picture of your installed dam. Mine is still in the box, I'm fairly sure my hardware is long gone.
I'm starting to realize the truth in your comment! I've always had hot rods or "one offs" in the past so each stage of my fixits was a singular experience. With a Corvette, I know someone else has experienced the exact same pain/frustration/gratification on every repair

Get notified of new replies

To Specific hardware for front airdam?

Quick Reply: Specific hardware for front airdam?