C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM surge

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 12:43 PM
FredFitz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM surge

The RPM on my 1979 L48 started to surge from 1100 to 1500. It's nothing serious but annoying when driving in traffic. I thought it might be a fuel issue so I cleaned the carb and changed the fuel filter but no change. I remember years ago there used to be a filter stone at the carb so I checked that and there is nothing. Any hints would be appreciated.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:30 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by FredFitz
The RPM on my 1979 L48 started to surge from 1100 to 1500. It's nothing serious but annoying when driving in traffic. I thought it might be a fuel issue so I cleaned the carb and changed the fuel filter but no change. I remember years ago there used to be a filter stone at the carb so I checked that and there is nothing. Any hints would be appreciated.
As a test try this.

Put the car in park with the engine running. Then disconnect the vacuum line to the power brake booster. If you get a similar surge you may have a cracked vacuum hose somewhere. Then start to move / wiggle some of the vacuum lines to see if you can reproduce the surge.
The following users liked this post:
FredFitz (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 11:37 AM
FredFitz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
As a test try this.

Put the car in park with the engine running. Then disconnect the vacuum line to the power brake booster. If you get a similar surge you may have a cracked vacuum hose somewhere. Then start to move / wiggle some of the vacuum lines to see if you can reproduce the surge.
Thanks I'll give it a try

Get notified of new replies

To RPM surge

Quick Reply: RPM surge