C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Button Aggrevation

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 11:13 AM
svetter84
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Horn Button Aggrevation

I bought my 81 last july. It had an aftermarket steering wheel. So all of the guts for the horn and everything were not there. The telescopic was just floating up and down. Since I have corrected everything but the horn. I bought the horn kit. So I have the contact button, shim and spacer for telescopic steering. After much research on here I figured out the spring goes first then the contact rod and the insulator slides on and holds it all in place. When I go to put everything back on it seems the rod is too long and pushes against the horn button contact and will not let it lay flat. What am I missing? It was easier pulling and reinstalling my engine!! lol
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You will need to shorten the contact. Unfortunately, I do not have a dimension for that part. Maybe someone on the forum may have their T&T steering wheel and column apart so they might be able to supply the correct dimension. Otherwise it will be cut and fit.

Usually a universal contact is supplied and you are expected to cut and fit.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
svetter84 (07-05-2017)

Quick Reply: Horn Button Aggrevation