C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1975 Fasten Seat Belt Light Always On In Start POS

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 05:35 PM
lsintampa
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1975 Fasten Seat Belt Light Always On In Start POS

While I'm adding a Vintage Air system to my 75 coupe, thought it would be a good idea to replace all of my bulbs.

After a lot of cussing and fussing, we're nearing the end of the project.

Previous owner(s) have really been into the wiring - a lot - there were missing bulb holders, cut wires all over the place and the safety interlock is long gone.

Seat belts are just standard junk lap belts. I have a set coming that does have the wire connections, but who knows that it will do me any good.

The FASTEN SEAT BELT light is on all the time once the ignition is in the start position. Seats aren't in the car, so I have no idea how the FSB light is on.

That said, there is a white / black connector that runs almost to the back wall. No idea what it's for.

The pink wire off the Neutral Safety Switch seems to have been cut and routed to the Green/Pink-white connector.

The pink-white wire off the switch seems to tie into a purple-yellow wire that goes to the purple wire from the Neutral Safety Switch.

Car starts in park and neutral as it should and the back up lights work when in reverse.

But the FSB light is on as long as the key is in the start position.

I'm trying to figure out what is keeping the Fasten Seat Belt light on.

Since it is a non functional system, I can easily remove the bulb, but actually I'd like the light to stay in play - and go OUT when I fasten the seat belt on the driver side.

Not perfect, but it would be a nice to have.

Thanks,

Len
Attached Images   
Old 07-22-2017, 06:54 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

The switch in the belt buckle is normally closed so you need to jump that (black & white) wire connector to test properly. The lamp should be off with the key at "run" and that switch jumped (belt buckled).

Last edited by SwampeastMike; 07-22-2017 at 06:55 PM. Reason: removed incorrect info
Old 07-24-2017, 11:40 AM
lsintampa
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
The switch in the belt buckle is normally closed so you need to jump that (black & white) wire connector to test properly. The lamp should be off with the key at "run" and that switch jumped (belt buckled).
When I jump that white / black wire indeed the FSB light goes out. Same for the black/tan connector.

BUT, the jumped wires spark a lot and get instantly hot.... so I'd think that if that is connected to the seat belt and the belt gets fastened, a fuse is gonna blow???

The connectors for the left / right belts are of different configurations... the white / black pair is flat and the black / tan connector is different - sort of a horizontal / vertical configuration.

IN any event, jumping the white / black sets the light off, but I'm fearful of the sparking and heat generated with the jump.

What am I missing or not understanding???

Last edited by lsintampa; 07-24-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 Fasten Seat Belt Light Always On In Start POS

Quick Reply: 1975 Fasten Seat Belt Light Always On In Start POS