C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 w/ AC Heater Core: Just Failed

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:47 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 1970 w/ AC Heater Core: Just Failed

This just happened on a very hot day here in New Brunswick. I noticed some coolant on the garage floor and saw some condensation behind my passenger side floor mat. Stuck a finger back there and found a little coolant.

I've dreaded this day, for obvious reasons, but I think the thing is probably original so it was inevitable.

This comes at an extra bad time - I'm about to be away from the car for about a year, so I won't have the time to properly remove and replace the core. Can I drain the core and bypass it so it's not leaking while sitting in my garage this fall and winter? I have nice new GM reproduction hoses, etc., on there and I'd like to save those, or at least do something that can't be seen.

I looked at older threads on this, but I wanted to start my own. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:08 PM
Duntov
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Brcmpbl
This just happened on a very hot day here in New Brunswick. I noticed some coolant on the garage floor and saw some condensation behind my passenger side floor mat. Stuck a finger back there and found a little coolant.

I've dreaded this day, for obvious reasons, but I think the thing is probably original so it was inevitable.

This comes at an extra bad time - I'm about to be away from the car for about a year, so I won't have the time to properly remove and replace the core. Can I drain the core and bypass it so it's not leaking while sitting in my garage this fall and winter? I have nice new GM reproduction hoses, etc., on there and I'd like to save those, or at least do something that can't be seen.

I looked at older threads on this, but I wanted to start my own. Thanks in advance.
Should be able to bypass it. Connect the two hoses together. May want to get some of the plastic clamps to close it off before opening the system or you will need to drain the system or have it dump out. You may need to do it in front of the heater control valve as well.
The following users liked this post:
Brcmpbl (08-01-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:46 PM
news2me
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A few years ago my core went. I picked up a bypass at the local parts house. I just removed the two heater hoses at the heater core, put the bypass into the hoses. Tighted up the clamps and I was good to go.
Brcmpbl (08-01-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 10:23 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

One heater hose is 5/8" and the other is 3/4".
If you disconnect the hoses at the core you can connect them together with an 'adapter' and not damage your hoses.
Or you can loop the 5/8" hose from the water pump to the manifold. That is a temporary fix which lets you drive a little more before you park it.
Brcmpbl (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 07:15 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Thanks. I am hoping to drive it a little more before parking it. I'll look for the adapter.

Then I can have nightmares for a year about tearing my dash out next summer.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:37 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Brcmpbl
Thanks. I am hoping to drive it a little more before parking it. I'll look for the adapter.

Then I can have nightmares for a year about tearing my dash out next summer.
If it will make you feel better, it's not that "big of a job" to replace the heater core.
Brcmpbl (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:08 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Just unscrew the pipe nipple in the intake and the one in the water pump and put pipe plugs where the nipples were. Your total investment will be about two bucks. You can get super fancy and use hex-drive plugs for a flush fit or go to your local home improvement center's plumbing section and pay the two bucks for the pipe plugs. This takes the hoses completely out of the mix.
caskiguy (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 12:18 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry72
Just unscrew the pipe nipple in the intake and the one in the water pump and put pipe plugs where the nipples were. Your total investment will be about two bucks. You can get super fancy and use hex-drive plugs for a flush fit or go to your local home improvement center's plumbing section and pay the two bucks for the pipe plugs. This takes the hoses completely out of the mix.
This is the way to go. No bypass hose is needed.
Brcmpbl (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 12:42 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
This is the way to go. No bypass hose is needed.
Brcmpbl (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 03:11 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry72
That's a lot more effort than just connecting the two hoses together.IMHO
Brcmpbl (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by caskiguy
If it will make you feel better, it's not that "big of a job" to replace the heater core.
Thanks - it does give a little more confidence. My dash components are mostly original and in great shape - so I worry about damaging something when I dig in there. Never have been a big fan of going into the dash area for that reason.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:41 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Just pop the hoses off the core, and install this between them.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...yABEgLr3fD_BwE

After you change the core, slip them back on.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:51 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Or like we used to do way back there- steal the seat tube out of some kid's bicycle. Perfect fit.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 w/ AC Heater Core: Just Failed

Quick Reply: 1970 w/ AC Heater Core: Just Failed