C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 PM
nspctr1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Swap ?

I will be getting my motor back from the builder in the next few days. Its a carbed 350 with just a few mods but nothing exaggerated. I will have a HEI installed but I want to clean up the engine bay of extra wires etc. Has anyone done a write up on something similar? I'm not going to use the ECU, just basic wiring. Would like to have it completed before motor is installed.
Its a 81 w/ automatic trans.
Thx

Last edited by nspctr1; 08-03-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:07 AM
mike11
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

When I pulled my 79 motor and did a build I also performed my engine bay overhaul and found some good threads on here of guys who took plenty of photos and wrote some steps. Try the search function for engine bay painting etc, you'll find plenty of solid info.

You should have pretty much just the basic essentials left for wiring if you're not going with the ECU setup or running any kind of modern sensors around the engine depending on your build. Off the top of my head the wiring I can think of that you'll have left will be: ignition wires/ tach wiring, alt, starter, temp/oil sensors, electric choke if you are going with one, hood lightbulb wire, ground straps, A/C press. sensors if you have it, windshield washer pump if you have one, and electric cooling fans if you have them.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:24 PM
nspctr1
Intermediate

Thx, any other tips?
Old 08-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Victor
Melting Slicks

When I did mine, I gathered all my wires and stuck them in a wire cover tubing I found on Jegs or Summit. I also removed a lot of junk from my engine like cruise control and AC.

as far as paint, I used krylon semi-gloss black. It's cheap and easy to find and easy to touch up forever. I thought it looked pretty decent. When I was looking at the catalogs I thought blue vacuum hoses and blue plastic wire covers would look good, but in hindsite I wasn't that happy with those color choices.

Last edited by Victor; 08-20-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Swap ?

Quick Reply: Engine Swap ?