C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eddy dies when hard cornering

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 11:17 PM
U4R1A81
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eddy dies when hard cornering

I have a 81 C3 that has a mild 355 with a Edelbrock performer carb. Doesn't matter which direction but if I take a sharp corner from a decent speed in which I completely let off the gas the car will shut off. I've checked all of the wiring to see if something is bumping around. I've check the powersteering system. I've check the float level. I've even semi blocked the fuel crossover channel inside the carb to prevent all of the fuel from migrating over. So, any other ideas?
Old 08-13-2017, 06:50 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 960 Likes on 597 Posts

Probably not your problem but when I got my 71 it would cut out when going around a circle.

Turned out the heat riser flap at the junction of the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe was sliding out on its shaft and hitting the starter and shorting.

Took a while to find it but was a strange one.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:17 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I worked on an early tach drive dizzy car that would do that. The primary wire under the breaker plate grounded out during u turns. Hard to find that buggar.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:20 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by U4R1A81
I have a 81 C3 that has a mild 355 with a Edelbrock performer carb. Doesn't matter which direction but if I take a sharp corner from a decent speed in which I completely let off the gas the car will shut off. I've checked all of the wiring to see if something is bumping around. I've check the powersteering system. I've check the float level. I've even semi blocked the fuel crossover channel inside the carb to prevent all of the fuel from migrating over. So, any other ideas?
How quickly does it die once you start to corner ? Is it delayed or immediate.?

Try this. Place blocks under the tires on 1 side. ~ 3" see if you can get the car to idle correct.

Other thing to check is the main ground wire from the frame to the engine block.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:27 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

I had the same problem with my '79 when I tried it on an autocross track. Didn't happen on the street. I wrote it off to the fuel sloshing around in the carburetor and uncovering the necessary passages. I'm sure there are ways to control it, but I figure the only real solution is fuel injection.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:25 AM
81vettski
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Had a 300z and when i turned left the car car would stall. I'm thinking all kinds of crazy stuff. it turned out to be a clogged ac drain line and the water collected under the glove box. When i turned left the water hit the pass side kick plate. Then it dawned on me, and sure enough the computer was there. Took me a while of stall outs to figure that out and don't know if or how long a mechanic would have taken. Its a tough troubleshoot but your gonna have to mimic the problem. I like Cmanns theroy.
Good luck.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:17 AM
Scrrem
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am having the same problem with the Edelbrock carb on my 69 BB. This is apparently a common problem with Edelbrock carbs but after reading mountains of forum threads I can't find a definitive answer. Folks say it could either be float level or fuel pressure issue. I have found if I stay on the gas through the turn, I can keep the engine running so I am convinced it's carb related.
Rich

Last edited by Scrrem; 08-14-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:38 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrrem
I am having the same problem with the Edelbrock carb on my 69 BB. This is apparently a common problem with Edelbrock carbs but after reading mountains of forum threads I can't find a definitive answer. Folks say it could either be float level or fuel pressure issue. I have found if I stay on the gas through the turn, I can keep the engine running so I am convinced it's carb related.
Rich
Same here! Edelbrock has a video on youtube to correct the float level, but haven't had the time to actually do that.

Get notified of new replies

To Eddy dies when hard cornering

Quick Reply: Eddy dies when hard cornering