C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping Tachometer Cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 10:13 AM
extechguy
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chirping Tachometer Cable

When I put in a new 383 in my 68, I replaced the original distributor with a tach drive MSD unit. There is a brass adapter that goes on the end of the cable to adapt it to the MSD unit. When I run the engine, I get a chirping sound coming from right around the distributor. When i remove the cable, the chirping stops. I sprayed cable lube down housing but it did not help. Also tried loosening the threaded coupling to tach body but did not help. I assume the inner cable is rubbing on the outer housing. Is there some spacer that goes on the cable to keep it centered in the housing ?
Help, the noise is very embarrassing.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:51 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

do you have the cable bent at too extreme an angle going into the distributor?
can you post a picture of your distributor housing showing the #1 terminal location and the cable attachment to the housing. The #1 should be towards the front passenger side with the vacuum advance housing parralel to the firewall.

http://www.corvetteclub.org.uk/files...istributor.pdf

read in this link how the distributor is oriented

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-gm-delco.html

Last edited by MelWff; 08-13-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:47 AM
extechguy
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what the cable looks like going into the distributor, I do not think it is at a much different location than with the original distributor. Not sure if jumping the terminals over one will make it better or worse. Number one dist boot is facing forward just a little towards the passenger side of car

Get notified of new replies

To Chirping Tachometer Cable

Quick Reply: Chirping Tachometer Cable