C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 Stingray HEADLIGHT ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:44 AM
jlamm2232
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 Stingray HEADLIGHT ISSUE

I recently purchased a 1973 C3 Stingray and for the most part the vehicle is in very nice shape. I had an issue with the lights popping up and once we replaced the headlight switch they pop up and down no problem.

What I am noticing is that when we are driving at night the front headlights FLICKER on and off. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where there may be a loose wire or possibly the headlight bulbs.

Thank you so much for any assistance.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by jlamm2232
I recently purchased a 1973 C3 Stingray and for the most part the vehicle is in very nice shape. I had an issue with the lights popping up and once we replaced the headlight switch they pop up and down no problem.

What I am noticing is that when we are driving at night the front headlights FLICKER on and off. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where there may be a loose wire or possibly the headlight bulbs.

Thank you so much for any assistance.
Hello,
Are the lights just flickering as would be the case with a loose connection or a bad ground? Or are they completely going out for a few seconds then coming right back on? If this is the case you may have a bad switch. The repro switches have been known to do this more often than not. They have a built in breaker in them that if they get too warm the lights go out until things cool off in the switch, they will come back on....
With your old switch the popping up issue would have been the vacuum part of the switch. You can do a test, by reinstalling the old switch (something you probably don't want to do!) and by using your bypass **** under your dash to raise the lights, drive the car with the lights on and see if you get the same flickering. If you don't you'll know it's your new switch. You can also test your new switch by leaving your car run and turn the lights on and just wait a few minutes until things warm up, they will go out and come back on if the breaker in the switch is faulty... I had the same issue with repro switches, I ended up buying an OEM switch on eBay and haven't had an issue in over 4 years.
Just a thought!
Tooch

Last edited by Tooch1; 09-15-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:24 AM
jlamm2232
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Tooch1
Hello,
Are the lights just flickering as would be the case with a loose connection or a bad ground? Or are they completely going out for a few seconds then coming right back on? If this is the case you may have a bad switch. The repro switches have been known to do this more often than not. They have a built in breaker in them that if they get too warm the lights go out until things cool off in the switch, they will come back on....
With your old switch the popping up issue would have been the vacuum part of the switch. You can do a test, by reinstalling the old switch (something you probably don't want to do!) and by using your bypass **** under your dash to raise the lights, drive the car with the lights on and see if you get the same flickering. If you don't you'll know it's your new switch. You can also test your new switch by leaving your car run and turn the lights on and just wait a few minutes until things warm up, they will go out and come back on if the breaker in the switch is faulty... I had the same issue with repro switches, I ended up buying an OEM switch on eBay and haven't had an issue in over 4 years.
Just a thought!
Tooch

They seem to both go off for about a second or so and then come right back on and then go right back off. I had the lights on last night and while still in the garage I turned them on and they stayed on without driving the vehicle around. I am going to put it through another test to see how long they will stay on with the car in park.

I have an extra new headlight switch if that needs to be replaced again. I had it replaced when I was having trouble with the lights popping up. However, that issue has been rectified since replacing the switch.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:38 PM
jlamm2232
5th Gear

Ok so I did a test and with the car in park the lights stayed on for about five minutes with no issues. Once I put the car in reverse I noticed they started going off and then back on sometimes they go off for just about one second or sometimes I go off for about 10 seconds and then come back on. I have a spare headlight switch brand new maybe I should try that first

Originally Posted by Tooch1
Hello,
Just a thought!
Tooch
Old 09-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Before you change the switch, have someone watch the lights while you gently jiggle the wires and connections up front going to the lights to see if they start going on and off. That way you'll know if by chance there may be a loose connection somewhere. Also double check the ground wire up front that is bolted to the radiator frame to make sure it is good. It will be on the right side looking down into the front of the car between the front bumper and the hood when it's open. It will have a star washer behind it on the radiator frame. One more thing to check is your high beam switch on the floor. Sometimes they go bad and cause the lights to go out too! Just saying!
I'm betting on a bad switch though.
Good luck!
Tooch
Old 09-15-2017, 04:37 PM
jlamm2232
5th Gear

I can't thank you enough for all of your help. It really means a lot to me. I will check everything that you told me to check and hopefully I can get it working pretty quick because I miss driving the car in the evening. Plus it is too damn hot to be driving it here in South Florida during the daytime

QUOTE=Tooch1;1595576238]Before you change the switch, have someone watch the lights while you gently jiggle the wires and connections up front going to the lights to see if they start going on and off. That way you'll know if by chance there may be a loose connection somewhere. Also double check the ground wire up front that is bolted to the radiator frame to make sure it is good. It will be on the right side looking down into the front of the car between the front bumper and the hood when it's open. It will have a star washer behind it on the radiator frame. One more thing to check is your high beam switch on the floor. Sometimes they go bad and cause the lights to go out too! Just saying!
Good luck!
Tooch[/QUOTE]
Old 09-15-2017, 05:30 PM
jlamm2232
5th Gear

Youre the man. I had a spare brand new switch and once I hook that up the lights are working perfect. I let the car run for about 15 minutes put it in and out of Dr. and reverse and they did not go off at all. I will let you know if there are any other problems thank you so much for all of your help.

Originally Posted by jlamm2232
I can't thank you enough for all of your help. It really means a lot to me. I will check everything that you told me to check and hopefully I can get it working pretty quick because I miss driving the car in the evening. Plus it is too damn hot to be driving it here in South Florida during the daytime

QUOTE=Tooch1;1595576238]Before you change the switch, have someone watch the lights while you gently jiggle the wires and connections up front going to the lights to see if they start going on and off. That way you'll know if by chance there may be a loose connection somewhere. Also double check the ground wire up front that is bolted to the radiator frame to make sure it is good. It will be on the right side looking down into the front of the car between the front bumper and the hood when it's open. It will have a star washer behind it on the radiator frame. One more thing to check is your high beam switch on the floor. Sometimes they go bad and cause the lights to go out too! Just saying!
Good luck!
Tooch
[/QUOTE]
Old 09-15-2017, 10:17 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Glad you got things working as they should. Those switches are very problematic. I'd love to see some pictures of your 73.
Tooch

Get notified of new replies

To 1973 Stingray HEADLIGHT ISSUE

Quick Reply: 1973 Stingray HEADLIGHT ISSUE