C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On my 72 when trying to open the Drivers door it wants to argue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 05:25 PM
retiredrey
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default On my 72 when trying to open the Drivers door it wants to argue

I have been trying to reassemble the latch mechanism, trying decifer which rod goes where in the drivers door of my 72. In the process I got the door 1/2 latched now I can,t get it to unlatch. Until' today I have been using a screw driver to reach down into the door to trip the latch and open it. Now that method has stopped working. I can get to the lock bolt to unscrew it but I am lazy and looking for something simple and easy. Any Ideas???

Last edited by retiredrey; 09-16-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:47 PM
san
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Depending on how far you took things apart, when putting them back together if you are off a little it can make it extremely difficult to get the door to release again...try lifting on the door...or pushing down on the door should help, once open, as you close the door before it latches, make sure you dont feel the pin rubbing on the latch before it hooks...door pin should slide exactly in the middle otherwise its going to be hard to open and close until it wears into the new spot. Sometimes pins need to be adjusted as well.
The following users liked this post:
retiredrey (09-16-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 06:30 PM
retiredrey
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I found my problem, A rod retaining clip droped down into the latch mechanism preventing it from releasing completely. Fished it out, end of problem.

Get notified of new replies

To On my 72 when trying to open the Drivers door it wants to argue

Quick Reply: On my 72 when trying to open the Drivers door it wants to argue