C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:44 PM
amcnd
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Muffler???

Super exciting about joining the Corvette community!! Just bought a 1982 Corvette. The person that owned it before me put a whole new exhaust on it. Headers, ect.. walker quiet flow 3 mufflers. Want something alittle more loud. Was looking at a Getting dynomax super turbo mufflers... Will they make much of a difference?? Ive listened to YouTube videos of the dynomax and cant tell if it will be any better.. don’t want anything super loud. But more of a good rumble at idle and starting out..Anyone with experience between these two?? Thanks!!

Last edited by amcnd; 09-21-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:36 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

yep! dynomax come with a 30 day sound warranty meaning if you dont like the way it sounds they take it back cant beat it.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:45 PM
amcnd
Heel & Toe

Thanks!! Great to know.. the quiet flow 3’s sound great at idle, in my garage..But thats about it... looking for something just a little more noticeable..
Old 09-21-2017, 10:46 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by amcnd
Super exciting about joining the Corvette community!! Just bought a 1982 Corvette. The person that owned it before me put a whole new exhaust on it. Headers, ect.. walker quiet flow 3 mufflers. Want something alittle more loud. Was looking at a Getting dynomax super turbo mufflers... Will they make much of a difference?? Ive listened to YouTube videos of the dynomax and cant tell if it will be any better.. don’t want anything super loud. But more of a good rumble at idle and starting out..Anyone with experience between these two?? Thanks!!
I've run the DYNOMAX in the past on a small block and they sound very nice. Just had a system put on mine with Flowmaster 40's and it sounds excellent. I think you'll like virtually any turbo muffler vs. quieter stock mufflers.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:20 PM
amcnd
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JoeMinnesota
I've run the DYNOMAX in the past on a small block and they sound very nice. Just had a system put on mine with Flowmaster 40's and it sounds excellent. I think you'll like virtually any turbo muffler vs. quieter stock mufflers.
I considered the Flowmaster 40’s but my wife said if its to loud she wont drive it. (Muffler shop guy said the 40’s resinate to much in the cabin).. and my teenage kids drive it also (fun family project for us). Thanks for the insight.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:26 AM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

I considered the Flowmaster 40’s but my wife said if its to loud she wont drive it. (Muffler shop guy said the 40’s resinate to much in the cabin).. and my teenage kids drive it also (fun family project for us). Thanks for the insight.
You may run into some drone with true duals and any turbo muffler. In my case I had an H-pipe added behind the crossmember, and it smoothed out the drone. There is some drone in the car from 1500-2000rpm approx. and then it completely smooths out. You are correct (or your wife is) that the 40's are a bit more raucous.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:33 PM
amcnd
Heel & Toe

Ok. Got the Dynomax on this morning (sound great) the guy that did it said he could take the catalytic converter off and fabricate some nice pipes and make it a true “straight pipe”.?? Good idea? Or bad? What effect would it have on the sound and running of the car? Thanks!!
Old 09-22-2017, 05:40 PM
shaun8484
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

FWIW, I put on the super 44 Flowmasters. Nice tone, nice rumble, not too loud and no drone. The outlets are a little closer together than factory but still look good. Here is a video of my car but hearing it on the computer doesn't do it justice.

Last edited by shaun8484; 09-22-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok. Got the Dynomax on this morning (sound great) the guy that did it said he could take the catalytic converter off and fabricate some nice pipes and make it a true “straight pipe”.?? Good idea? Or bad? What effect would it have on the sound and running of the car? Thanks!!
If you can legally dump the cat and go true duel exhaust go for it. Replacing cat with a Y-pipe is OK too.
-W
Old 09-22-2017, 09:49 PM
ykf7b0
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

For the record I do not like my Magnaflow mufflers.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:41 PM
erufle
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Walker Quiet Flow 3

Walker Quiet flow, I remember that now. Did it allow more flow, at least judging by the increase in what you heard.when you reved the engine quickly. And , was it quiet at idle. I want a little low rumble but I’ve got three layers of sound deadner in back and two behind the seat. I drive carefully but I can’t even afford to get pulled over for “Exhibition of Speed”.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:11 PM
amcnd
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by erufle
Walker Quiet flow, I remember that now. Did it allow more flow, at least judging by the increase in what you heard.when you reved the engine quickly. And , was it quiet at idle. I want a little low rumble but I’ve got three layers of sound deadner in back and two behind the seat. I drive carefully but I can’t even afford to get pulled over for “Exhibition of Speed”.
the walker quiet flow 3 had a idle rumble but dead silent driving.. the dynomax turbo have a better rumble and very soft rumble when you drive. You would never get pulled over for noise with the Dynomax turbo...

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler???

Quick Reply: Muffler???