C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/T Pan Gasket Material

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 06:16 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts
Default A/T Pan Gasket Material

Tell me if I'm wrong.
I'm developing an opinion on Composite vs. Cork gasket material for the TH400 Pan.
Had a shop R&R the tranny filter 5 years ago, and they used a blue non-cork gasket. In the last year, a transmission fluid leak developed, dripping from the Converter Cover and FWD LH Pan corner. I thought the leak was coming from the front tranny seal, as I R&R'd the engine a while back and lacked confidence in maybe not damaging it while mating the new engine to it. I took the car to the same shop to "Pull the Transmission and install a new front seal".
They had the car for a few months and it looked like they weren't going to get to it in the near future either, so I brought it home, determined to drop the tranny myself, not trusting any local shops.
When I pulled the TQ Cover off, I found no wetness on the Transmission's front face or T/Q. Front seal must be alright, no? After wiping down the wet joint of Pan to Transmission, the leak appears to be a simple Pan Gasket. Shop was slow, but at least, honest.
I believe in cork more than in the rubbery type gasket.
Do you?

Forgive me for this long dissertation on a short question, but thanks for your opinion.

Steve
Old 09-22-2017, 06:40 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Cork gaskets are crap in my opinion.... any modern gasket is better than cork.
Take a look at your pan cover, and make sure the sealing flange is flat, and not dimpled from tightening the bolts too much
The following users liked this post:
Cavu2u (09-29-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 06:58 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Cork is junk...I just passed 205,000 miles on the 4t65E auto in my 01 Grand Prix and probably have changed the tranny fluid/filter 8-9 times since the car was brand new. Still using the rubber/composite GM gasket that came on the car-it's reuseable obviously. Just noticed at the last change that the gasket which is thick rubber with a steel core is beginning to show some dry rubber rot..amazing. Forget cork...1970's material.
The following users liked this post:
Cavu2u (09-29-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sstocker31
Cork gaskets are crap in my opinion.... any modern gasket is better than cork.
Take a look at your pan cover, and make sure the sealing flange is flat, and not dimpled from tightening the bolts too much
Thanks ss.

Good point about the pan's bolt holes caved in a bit. I've never had this pan off to see. Yet. It's the original pan, stamped HYDRO-MATIC, DIV of GMC, so I think anyway it's original. And if so, aren't these pans a bit heavier than the knock-offs?
Appreciate the comeback.

Steve
Old 09-22-2017, 08:27 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Cork is junk...I just passed 205,000 miles on the 4t65E auto in my 01 Grand Prix and probably have changed the tranny fluid/filter 8-9 times since the car was brand new. Still using the rubber/composite GM gasket that came on the car-it's reuseable obviously. Just noticed at the last change that the gasket which is thick rubber with a steel core is beginning to show some dry rubber rot..amazing. Forget cork...1970's material.
Thanks JB,

That's a helluva testimonial!

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To A/T Pan Gasket Material

Quick Reply: A/T Pan Gasket Material