C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beeping sound when driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 05:23 AM
Lucas Van de Voorde
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beeping sound when driving

Hi all,

I have a 1977 Corvette C3, but i have noticed that there is a beeping sound after a few miles of driving. Usually my car starts up just fine, but after there is a beeping sound (2 beeps) when I drive 1 or 2 miles. When the patrol tank was almost empty this the car also makes this sound, but than more frequently. But when I filled it up again, the sound sometimes appears again. Does anyone know where that sound is for or does anyone have a manual of this Corvette where such safety sounds are explained?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-03-2017, 10:01 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucas Van de Voorde
Hi all,

I have a 1977 Corvette C3, but i have noticed that there is a beeping sound after a few miles of driving. Usually my car starts up just fine, but after there is a beeping sound (2 beeps) when I drive 1 or 2 miles. When the patrol tank was almost empty this the car also makes this sound, but than more frequently. But when I filled it up again, the sound sometimes appears again. Does anyone know where that sound is for or does anyone have a manual of this Corvette where such safety sounds are explained?

Thanks in advance

Pull the wires off your horns and see if that stops the "beeping". If it does you may have an intermittent short under your horn button.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Lucas Van de Voorde
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 71VetteLover
Pull the wires off your horns and see if that stops the "beeping". If it does you may have an intermittent short under your horn button.
Thanks for your reply,

Does that mean it is not a warning sound?

I will try that, if someone has an other explanation, please tell me.

Last edited by Lucas Van de Voorde; 10-03-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:41 PM
See Three
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I think your smoke detector batteries need to be replaced.

Ok seriously, your car has a low fuel warning light but not an audible alarm as far as I can tell. Does the light work? Does the fuel gauge work?
Old 10-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Lucas Van de Voorde
6th Gear

Originally Posted by See Three
I think your smoke detector batteries need to be replaced.

Ok seriously, your car has a low fuel warning light but not an audible alarm as far as I can tell. Does the light work? Does the fuel gauge work?
The light does work and the gauge also. Any other ideas where the sound can come from?
Old 10-03-2017, 05:02 PM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,294 Likes on 1,013 Posts

There is a buzzer plugged into your fuse panel. It should sound when you put the key in the ignition until you turn the key to the run position. It will also sound if you remove the key from the ignition with the headlight switch on and you open the driver's door. There are a little set of contacts inside the unit, sometimes they can get a little corroded. If you open the unit be very careful as the wiring is very fragile.
Here is what it looks like:

Old 10-05-2017, 01:22 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

bmotojoe might have you headed in the right direction. Check your door switches. They are what triggers this this buzzer. If they, or your doors are out of adjustment that could cause the audible beep.
Any connection with your fuel level I cannot explain. May just be coincidence.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:08 AM
Lucas Van de Voorde
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Greg
bmotojoe might have you headed in the right direction. Check your door switches. They are what triggers this this buzzer. If they, or your doors are out of adjustment that could cause the audible beep.
Any connection with your fuel level I cannot explain. May just be coincidence.
so this means that the car is sensing that the doors are open while driving or something?

Get notified of new replies

To Beeping sound when driving

Quick Reply: Beeping sound when driving