C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 power steering testing

Old 10-09-2017, 08:12 AM
lestro
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 power steering testing

Car acts like it has no power steering at all, but with the wheels off the ground and the engine off it steers easily through the whole turning range. How do I tell if it's the pump, switch, or something else? thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:46 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Did it ever work?
What is the oil level in the ps tank?
Is the ps belt turning th Epson pump?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:48 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by lestro
Car acts like it has no power steering at all, but with the wheels off the ground and the engine off it steers easily through the whole turning range. How do I tell if it's the pump, switch, or something else? thanks in advance.

Does the pump have the correct amount of oil in it?
Old 10-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

1. Where did the information surface on a EPSON pump? Quite frankly, I have never heard of a pump with the EPSON name. Saginaw Steering Gear Div produced 100% of the C2 and C3 power steering pumps. I have been retired for 16 years now, so I am just not familiar with what is available today in the marketplace.

2. Did the PS system ever work correctly? How long have you owned your 1976?

3. Does your pump make noise when you steer the car, engine running, while stopped on dry pavement.

4. Do you have power assist in one direction but not the other? If you have assist in one direction and not the other, your problem cannot be the pump. The power steering pump does not know which direction you are turning. The problem would have to be in the assist cylinder or in the control valve.
Jim Shea

Last edited by Jim Shea; 10-09-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:17 PM
lestro
Cruising

The pump tank has the correct level of fluid, there's no assist in either direction, pump makes no noise when turning, belt is turning the pump, had the car about a month and power steering has never worked for me.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The pump tank has the correct level of fluid, there's no assist in either direction, pump makes no noise when turning, belt is turning the pump, had the car about a month and power steering has never worked for me.
It is possible to actually break the driveshaft where in engages the pump rotor inside the pump. However, the belt and pulley will keep the driveshaft in place. If you remove the power steering belt you will be able to pull the pulley and broken driveshaft right out of the pump. If you are able to determine that a broken driveshaft is actually the problem, you should just replace the entire pump rather than trying to replace the driveshaft, rotor, plates, and vanes that have most likely seized and are badly scored.
Jim
Old 10-10-2017, 07:28 AM
lestro
Cruising

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
It is possible to actually break the driveshaft where in engages the pump rotor inside the pump. However, the belt and pulley will keep the driveshaft in place. If you remove the power steering belt you will be able to pull the pulley and broken driveshaft right out of the pump. If you are able to determine that a broken driveshaft is actually the problem, you should just replace the entire pump rather than trying to replace the driveshaft, rotor, plates, and vanes that have most likely seized and are badly scored.
Jim
I'll check that, thanks
Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll check that, thanks
Here is another possible cause for your pump not creating pressure.

There is a discharge fitting on the rear of your pump. Remove the PS pressure hose from the fitting by holding it and turning the nut with a tubing wrench. With the hose removed, now unscrew the fitting from the pump. Reach into the pump with a probe such as a screwdriver blade. You should feel the face of a plunger (actually a flow control valve). Depress the plunger and determine if it moves smoothly in the pump bore. If the plunger sticks, that could be the reason that the pump is not creating pressure.

Jim Shea
The following users liked this post:
lestro (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 09:39 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Default My spell checker got the best of me!

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
1. Where did the information surface on a EPSON pump? Quite frankly, I have never heard of a pump with the EPSON name. Saginaw Steering Gear Div produced 100% of the C2 and C3 power steering pumps. I have been retired for 16 years now, so I am just not familiar with what is available today in the marketplace.

2. Did the PS system ever work correctly? How long have you owned your 1976?

3. Does your pump make noise when you steer the car, engine running, while stopped on dry pavement.

4. Do you have power assist in one direction but not the other? If you have assist in one direction and not the other, your problem cannot be the pump. The power steering pump does not know which direction you are turning. The problem would have to be in the assist cylinder or in the control valve.
Jim Shea
Should have double checked it, but was typing "the ps pump"

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 power steering testing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1976 power steering testing