C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early C3 Alignment & Wandering

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 02:02 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Early C3 Alignment & Wandering

I have approx. 300 miles on a fresh engine rebuild and while it was out I went through the entire front end - CA bushings and hardware, springs, new tie rods, swaybar links. Original 1970 PS system just cleaned up.

I had a 4-wheel alignment done and it appears to run straight with a hand on the wheel. At speed, however, it wants to dive RIGHT if I take my hand off the wheel. If I turn the wheel left, it WILL dive/turn just as quick to the left.

I know now these cars are old and the PS is sensitive. Is it the PS that is "pulling" me to the right or should it track straight with no hands? Do I need to have it re-checked? Thanks
Old 10-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Hi, I have a '70 with stock PS also, have you jacked up the car (front wheels off the ground) and run the engine to see whether the wheels stay pointing straight? Another way to do it is to disconnect the PS ram from the chassis and see if it moves when the engine is running and the wheels are pointing straight. There is an adjustment nut under the cap on the end of the PS valve for setting the valve so that it is not reacting at the straight ahead position and "telling" the ram to move one way or the other.
Car should track straight with no hands on a flat level surface,bear in mind if you have stock steering settings, they were intended for bias ply tires, newer radial tires require less effort to turn, I have added more caster to compensate for this which helped diminish the "go Kart" feeling the steering has at speed. The power steering being non speed sensitive is very primitive by todays standards.
The following users liked this post:
JoeMinnesota (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 02:55 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeMinnesota
I have approx. 300 miles on a fresh engine rebuild and while it was out I went through the entire front end - CA bushings and hardware, springs, new tie rods, sway bar links. Original 1970 PS system just cleaned up.

I had a 4-wheel alignment done and it appears to run straight with a hand on the wheel. At speed, however, it wants to dive RIGHT if I take my hand off the wheel. If I turn the wheel left, it WILL dive/turn just as quick to the left.

I know now these cars are old and the PS is sensitive. Is it the PS that is "pulling" me to the right or should it track straight with no hands? Do I need to have it re-checked? Thanks

It sound like your power steering cylinder's rod is loose where it attaches to the frame.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:18 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Originally Posted by 71VetteLover
It sound like your power steering cylinder's rod is loose where it attaches to the frame.
i have checked that - nothing loose. When I work the wheel the front end is nice and tight. I'm going to check that PS adjustment.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:19 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Hi, I have a '70 with stock PS also, have you jacked up the car (front wheels off the ground) and run the engine to see whether the wheels stay pointing straight? Another way to do it is to disconnect the PS ram from the chassis and see if it moves when the engine is running and the wheels are pointing straight. There is an adjustment nut under the cap on the end of the PS valve for setting the valve so that it is not reacting at the straight ahead position and "telling" the ram to move one way or the other.
Car should track straight with no hands on a flat level surface,bear in mind if you have stock steering settings, they were intended for bias ply tires, newer radial tires require less effort to turn, I have added more caster to compensate for this which helped diminish the "go Kart" feeling the steering has at speed. The power steering being non speed sensitive is very primitive by todays standards.
Very good input. Thank You! I'll perform this check tonight and see if that might be it.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:45 PM
VancouverL71
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I went through some of the same issues. If you find it is not your power steering, you may want to consider your back wheels. They may have done the complete 4 wheel alignment but if your back trailing arms are not tracking straight, that may be your problem. My system was original never touched and though I got my car to track straight with front end caster/camber and toe in, my back wheels are not tracking straight. One of my future projects is the trailing arms.
Ask the shop what was aligned in the back end and how the bushings in the back looked.
As someone on here told me, it is one thing to align an old car with old bushings but the question is whether the alignment is repeatable?
That tells the story of if everything is as tight as it should be.
Pete

Last edited by VancouverL71; 10-10-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:14 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Originally Posted by VancouverL71
I went through some of the same issues. If you find it is not your power steering, you may want to consider your back wheels. They may have done the complete 4 wheel alignment but if your back trailing arms are not tracking straight, that may be your problem. My system was original never touched and though I got my car to track straight with front end caster/camber and toe in, my back wheels are not tracking straight. One of my future projects is the trailing arms.
Ask the shop what was aligned in the back end and how the bushings in the back looked.
As someone on here told me, it is one thing to align an old car with old bushings but the question is whether the alignment is repeatable?
That tells the story of if everything is as tight as it should be.
Pete
Will do. Trailing arms are in my near future, anyhow. I need a rear spring and plan to go through the entire back half this winter. It will need another alignment in the spring once those are rebuilt.

...also, when I originally went in for alignment he told me I needed the strut arms rebushed and to repack the front wheel bearings, so it was obvious he was being picky about how tight the car was.

Last edited by JoeMinnesota; 10-10-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:17 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

the entire back end should be suspect......all the trailing arm bushings, the wheel bearings and the axle stubs.....

its called rear steer and its pricey to fix. if the car is wandering look to the back.

jack up rear of car and check bearings at 3 and 9 and 12 and 6 (wheel bearings) , pull on the wheel and see if it moves towards you...( Axle stub).

look at the trailing arms and the bushings and look at the shape of the links off the trailing arm.

good luck. bob
Old 10-10-2017, 04:19 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
the entire back end should be suspect......all the trailing arm bushings, the wheel bearings and the axle stubs.....

its called rear steer and its pricey to fix. if the car is wandering look to the back.

jack up rear of car and check bearings at 3 and 9 and 12 and 6 (wheel bearings) , pull on the wheel and see if it moves towards you...( Axle stub).

look at the trailing arms and the bushings and look at the shape of the links off the trailing arm.

good luck. bob
Thanks very much. Will do. It's definitely a 47 yr old car and bushings & seals have all needed attention as I'm going through it.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:56 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Default The Verdict

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Haggisbash... THANK YOU very much for this sound advice. I jacked up the front, revved the motor a bit, and my steering wheel magically turned to the right. Pulled the front left wheel, got the end cap off the steering valve with a screwdriver. Used a 7/16" (1/4" drive to fit between the lines) socket with extension, re-centered and marked the top of the steering wheel with painters tape so I could see it turn, started the car and let idle, and adjusted the bias. I turned it both directions until I found the two points where the pump would turn the wheels one way or the other (about 5/8 of a turn apart) and turned it back just over a 1/4 turn to the "middle". I never knew about this adjustment - learned something new.

IT IS LIKE A DIFFERENT CAR! Tracks straight down the road and when I turn it no longer "dives" or darts one way or the other. The steering is heavier and the front wheels feel well planted. I absolutely cannot believe how nice it is to drive.

Thanks again. a guy can really find some answers here. And, the best part is not another rebuild or a frame-off to fix the steering!

Last edited by JoeMinnesota; 10-11-2017 at 10:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoeMinnesota:
caskiguy (10-11-2017), mrvette (10-13-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

I love it when its a straight forward fix!

Get notified of new replies

To Early C3 Alignment & Wandering

Quick Reply: Early C3 Alignment & Wandering