C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD I have it... Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 03:02 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I hate plastic crimp on cheap connectors. I go get high quality solder on and heat shrink all of my electrical connections. On the spade lugs, you can shink the tubing onto and over the entire spade, so you help prevent rust or corrosion. Squeezing electrical connectors onto wires is pretty half *** way of making all of your connections!
Old 11-04-2017, 03:48 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I hate plastic crimp on cheap connectors. I go get high quality solder on and heat shrink all of my electrical connections. On the spade lugs, you can shink the tubing onto and over the entire spade, so you help prevent rust or corrosion. Squeezing electrical connectors onto wires is pretty half *** way of making all of your connections!

I crimp on AND solder/shrink wrap my spade connections. I solder/shrink wrap any and all connection regardless of the connection type even pins that push into connectors.
The little bit of time it takes is worth the effort in the long run.

Last edited by theandies; 11-04-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:45 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I put my 6AL box under my dash where the glove box should of been on a 68. I also ran a cut off switch from one wire. I think it was the white one that is not used? So unless that switch is flipped, the car wont start. It wont stop a tow truck from stealing it, and should slow down the hot wire guys. Food for thought.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:15 AM
pthor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably a dumb Question but, since I'm using an 8572 Tach drive distributer ~ The Grey tach-wire from the 6AL box remains unused, correct?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:58 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by pthor
Probably a dumb Question but, since I'm using an 8572 Tach drive distributer ~ The Grey tach-wire from the 6AL box remains unused, correct?
Not a dumb question at all. And that is correct, the grey wire is unused. BUT- if you run a pigtail off of that wire to someplace it's out of the way, but still handy, it makes a great connection for a hand held tach under the hood. Useful for adjusting curb idle and mixture.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:23 PM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimAT
Not a dumb question at all. And that is correct, the grey wire is unused. BUT- if you run a pigtail off of that wire to someplace it's out of the way, but still handy, it makes a great connection for a hand held tach under the hood. Useful for adjusting curb idle and mixture.
Thank You, that's a great idea!
Old 12-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Mine tucked up in there with the capacitor.

Been a very reliable system for 8 years.
What's the reason for the capacitor?
Old 12-31-2017, 05:44 AM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 12-31-2017, 01:48 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,698 Likes on 2,938 Posts

I've been soldering connections for years. Anything subject to hot, cold, or vibration should be soldered and not crimped.
Soldering is an art of sorts, because if not done correctly can leave a "cold joint" which will not conduct and could give you and open circuit.
By a good soldering iron that you can adjust the heat, make sure there are no gaps between your leads, make sure your wire leads are clean, if not clean them with alcohol, hold the iron under the leads and apply solder from the top so the solder can flow into the wire strands, check your joints, check continuity, then shrink tube.
Proper heat is the key, too little and you get cold joints, to hot and you get splatter and melted wire insulation.
Good solder is important. Buy silver solder which contains flux. Flux is a cleaning agent, but is acidic which means you need to clean it off with alcohol before shrinking your tubing.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 12-31-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: MSD I have it... Now what?