C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 L82 Cluster Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Lagonia
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 79 L82 Cluster Assembly

Is there a trick to removing the cluster assembly besides removing the 5 screws that secure it to the console? I removed all screws and can wiggle it but does not come forward. I need to replace an instrument panel light bulb and pull the speedo cable for cleaning and lubrication.

Thank you.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:48 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Lagonia
Is there a trick to removing the cluster assembly besides removing the 5 screws that secure it to the console? I removed all screws and can wiggle it but does not come forward. I need to replace an instrument panel light bulb and pull the speedo cable for cleaning and lubrication.

Thank you.
No tricks needed.

Go to the Willcox website. They have an article on removing the cluster.

I always use plastic prying tools to get around the edges of the cluster. Tilt the steering wheel down.
Loosen lower column mounting screws.
Disconnect speedometer cable.
Disconnect wiring harness after pulling out the cluster slightly.
Tilt top of cluster forward and rotate out.

I would suggest doing things like replacing ALL of the cluster bulbs while there. Also consider replacing wiper and headlamp switches at the same time while you are in there.
The following users liked this post:
Lagonia (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 07:04 AM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

If you have cruise control, disconnect the speedometer cable at the cruise control transducer. This will enable pulling out the dash cluster much more easily, so you can reach behind it and disconnect the wiring harness.

If you don't have cruise control, disconnect the speedometer at the transmission.
The following users liked this post:
Lagonia (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 07:07 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Great point.

Last edited by Street Rat; 11-03-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Lagonia
Racer

Once I removed the two bolts that hold the steering column near the dashboard and loosened the two steering column bolts on the firewall, the column dropped far enough for me to access the cluster assembly. The recommendation to remove the speedo cable at the tranny side and feed some of that cable behind the speedo cluster was spot on. I was able to remove the cluster with little fuss. Removing the inner speedo cable was a breeze; unfortunately, I did not have burned out bulbs. The printed circuit board feeding power to the two bulbs on the left hand side of the assembly was buggered - so - that fix will have to wait until I get a replacement circuit board. I see them for $37 at flee bay and $72 at Eckler's. Any difference in the quality that justifies the additional expense??

Pulling the cable from the engine bay and feeding it to the interior of the car. You just need a few inches.
Disconnecting the cable at the cluster assembly was as easy as could be.
Pulling the speedo cable out from its sleeve
Cluster assembly
Rear of the cluster assembly
Buggered

Last edited by Lagonia; 11-03-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Lagonia
Racer

Got the new printed board from flee bay - a hell of a lot better than what was installed - my original thought was to just replace the board. While I was in the middle of removing the old board, I decided to strip the cluster assembly and clean it before putting it back together. I replaced all the illumination bulbs to LED. One thing to be careful is the polarity. I bench tested the assembly and ensured the LEDs were installed in the correct polarity. This job was easy - a 1.5 from 1 to 5 in difficulty.

New printed board
Stripping the old board from the back of the cluster
Custer stripped and cleaned
Cluster stripped and cleaned
Assembled, ready to be installed

Get notified of new replies

To 79 L82 Cluster Assembly

Quick Reply: 79 L82 Cluster Assembly