C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BTO 200R4 - Power pedal is too hard

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 07:38 PM
ricks_road54
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BTO 200R4 - Power pedal is too hard

Hi,

I take the time to mount my new motor and transmission on my corvette (i have them since some years...).

I have a problem, in normal time (with spring on carb) i can't accelerate enough to open the secondary. The pedal is really hard inthe final course.

If i delete the TV cable or SPRING, it's easier to rich the maximum pedal course.

Does i have my TV cable too short? Power cable too long? With TV cable, does i need to keep spring?

A video will explain more :

Old 11-04-2017, 07:44 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I just use one return spring because it was too tough with 2, been working fine for years.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Hi, if your cable adjustment was wrong you couldn't move the accelerator to the wide open position with the springs disconnected. You could try different springs?

I use these and I also have the 2004R transmission.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:23 PM
ricks_road54
Heel & Toe

I think already see theses springs. Have you a picture of them mounted? Ideally the specific name to buy them...

if you have a 200r4 you can help me on the fine tuning...

in first could you tell me if when you use one of turn signal you heard the trans relay ? The same sound when you push the brake pedal... I think my turn signal ground is same as stop light...

thanks for all
Old 11-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

My springs are mounted the same as shown in this pic.

Do a web search using this description -

Chrome Throttle Return Spring Bracket Dual Springs SBC BBC Chevy
Old 11-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ricks_road54
I think already see theses springs. Have you a picture of them mounted? Ideally the specific name to buy them...

if you have a 200r4 you can help me on the fine tuning...

in first could you tell me if when you use one of turn signal you heard the trans relay ? The same sound when you push the brake pedal... I think my turn signal ground is same as stop light...

thanks for all
Hi, I assume you are talking about the relay for locking the torque convertor? Does this disengage when you push the brake pedal?
Old 11-05-2017, 02:13 PM
ricks_road54
Heel & Toe

Default ...

I'm running my first road test. And after some km. The car stop because I think she don't go down. I finally restart but use it as a manual gear to go back at home.

the pressure test on the gearbox seems to be correct.

I already contact BTO to have more information, but even if i send some mail, for the moment i haven't any reply...

When converter is disengaged, the gearbox go down?

how I can check it?
Old 11-06-2017, 04:13 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

I'm running my first road test. And after some km. The car stop because I think she don't go down. I finally restart but use it as a manual gear to go back at home.

the pressure test on the gearbox seems to be correct.

I already contact BTO to have more information, but even if i send some mail, for the moment i haven't any reply...

When converter is disengaged, the gearbox go down?

how I can check it?
Hi, are you saying that the torque converter locked up and wont release when you slow down? Tell me more? What happens when you move off from a standing start, does the transmission up-shift normally and when it is in 4th gear does the torque converter lock up? Then you slow down and the engine stalls? Do you have a manual override switch on the torque converter solenoid circuit so you can force it to release?
Old 11-06-2017, 06:18 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

normal time (with spring on carb) i can't accelerate enough to open the secondary
Verify that your gas pedal lever is not bent. It is common for the steel lever to bend over time and not allow the secondaries to open.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:37 PM
ricks_road54
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Hi, are you saying that the torque converter locked up and wont release when you slow down? Tell me more? What happens when you move off from a standing start, does the transmission up-shift normally and when it is in 4th gear does the torque converter lock up? Then you slow down and the engine stalls? Do you have a manual override switch on the torque converter solenoid circuit so you can force it to release?
Car ddownshift very late, when the motor is ready to stall. And on my last road test, it stall.

I think that the lockup won't release.

the car upshift really fast.

I didn't have a manual override switch on lockup.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:07 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
I just use one return spring because it was too tough with 2, been working fine for years.
Its dangerous using only a single return spring. All sanction bodies of automotive events insist on dual springs. You can buy all different lengths and strengths of dual springs.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:02 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Its dangerous using only a single return spring. All sanction bodies of automotive events insist on dual springs. You can buy all different lengths and strengths of dual springs.
No thank you, mine is working just fine and not interested in sanctions either. The TV valve has a stiff spring in the trans and acts against the throttle lever via the tv cable, my set up is not dangerous and no need for me to buy more springs. Run all the springs you want, I'm good!
Old 11-11-2017, 12:49 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Car ddownshift very late, when the motor is ready to stall. And on my last road test, it stall.

I think that the lockup won't release.

the car upshift really fast.

I didn't have a manual override switch on lockup.
Hi, seems you need to make some modifications to your torque convertor lock up wiring circuit, most users of this transmission have included a switch in the circuit so that they can manually engage/disengage the lock up. Often this circuit will include a switch on the brake pedal to disengage lock up immediately when the brake is pressed, does the torque convertor unlock when you tap the brakes?

Note,this circuit also includes a vacuum switch to automatically disengage lock up when the inlet manifold vacuum drops to a certain level when say climbing a hill or accelerating heavily, it is my understanding this is to protect the lock up clutch as this was never designed to take the full power of the engine.
In regards to the transmission upshifting quickly, at what RPM and throttle opening is this happening?

Get notified of new replies

To BTO 200R4 - Power pedal is too hard

Quick Reply: BTO 200R4 - Power pedal is too hard