C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about putting a Holley sniper EFI on my 74 BB

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 11:52 AM
mfgaffney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default thinking about putting a Holley sniper EFI on my 74 BB

Anyone switched from the carb to the sniper with the stock intake? Seems like with the gas tank now available it should be a fairly straightforward swap.. Any comments welcome
Old 11-07-2017, 01:16 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Originally Posted by mfgaffney
Anyone switched from the carb to the sniper with the stock intake? Seems like with the gas tank now available it should be a fairly straightforward swap.. Any comments welcome
there is a whole forum devoted to the holley sniper. they would probably have a few thoughts...
Old 11-07-2017, 07:33 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I think its a great idea but,,, before you buy the sniper I would ;look at what summit has.you may save $150 for the same thing.
The following users liked this post:
mfgaffney (11-09-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 03:58 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I installed a Sniper on my street rod. I would highly recommend the unit. Lots of tech advice and only took me a bit of work to get it working like a champ. The only problem I have it that it is very sensitive to small throttle openings and likes to "jump off the line" if I am not careful.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Kris_K
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by silver74vette
I installed a Sniper on my street rod. I would highly recommend the unit. Lots of tech advice and only took me a bit of work to get it working like a champ. The only problem I have it that it is very sensitive to small throttle openings and likes to "jump off the line" if I am not careful.
Have you tried a stiffer throttle return spring?
Old 11-09-2017, 01:50 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

On a manual or automatic?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:20 AM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

It is on a 700R4 auto with a 1800 rpm converter, pretty vanilla setup.

The reason it is sensitive is that unlike a typical 4 barrel carb that opens the primaries first then the secondaries, the Sniper opens all 4 at the same time, this coupled with the fact that it's an 800 CFM throttle body gives you a lot of air for a little pedal movement. No issues with the return spring I just have a shorter throw pedal and it is touchy.

Hope this helps.

I installed a new tank, in tank walbro pump, all new lines (braided teflon) and the appropriate filters and it works great for about $1800 total (including the sniper).
The following users liked this post:
Bangkok Dean (11-19-2017)
Old 01-03-2019, 03:44 PM
ivanh3
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 20 Posts

The reason it is sensitive is that unlike a typical 4 barrel carb that opens the primaries first then the secondaries, the Sniper opens all 4 at the same time, this coupled with the fact that it's an 800 CFM throttle body gives you a lot of air for a little pedal movement. No issues with the return spring I just have a shorter throw pedal and it is touchy.

Hope this helps.

I installed a new tank, in tank walbro pump, all new lines (braided teflon) and the appropriate filters and it works great for about $1800 total (including the sniper).
Did you have to do anything special in regards to your 700R4? I am looking at this system and also have a 700R4.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:29 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Since you posted, they have come out with a "Progressive" setup. Have you considered that? I am curious if it resolves what appear to be your only issues with the Sniper.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:14 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 372 Likes on 191 Posts

I installed the Sniper, Hyperspark ignition and Holley fuel tank in my 68. I have a 496 built by BluePrint. Performer manifold on it. Because my cam is pretty beefy, to finally get it to run perfectly I had to take it to a pro to get it dyno tuned. It now runs like a bat out of hell, throttle response is unreal, starts are super easy and I won't have to worry about vapor lock in the summer. It also looks like I picked up ~25 or so horses to just under 600hp.
What Silver says is correct that if you're not careful it will come on like a hammer off the line until either you 1) adjust how you get into it with your foot, or 2) remap that with the software to make it a smoother transition. As I drove mine I either got better with it or it learned that I didn't want it to come on that hard and it adjusted.

Here is a post I did after converting mine. Read it before you start and hopefully it is helpful. What I learned
And my overall build thread to date which has a dyno test at the end after getting the Sniper on there: Build Thread

Overall I am now very happy with it.
Oh one more thing. Mine used to surge at low RPM. Especially when coasting down the big hill by my house, letting the engine RPM slow me down. That is all gone now. Low RPM cruise is super smooth.

Last edited by scottjamison; 01-04-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To thinking about putting a Holley sniper EFI on my 74 BB

Quick Reply: thinking about putting a Holley sniper EFI on my 74 BB