C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers

Old 11-12-2017, 12:38 AM
eurekax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers

72 vette with stock 200hp motor with AC / Auto
Looking to fit standard/ uncoated long headers,whats a good set to fit this car, with a AC bracket Thanks Alan

Last edited by eurekax; 11-12-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

I have the Hedman's and they fit perfect. Make sure you get the A/C bracket for headers......

Jebby
The following users liked this post:
eurekax (11-13-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 12:38 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,653 Likes on 2,915 Posts

I've heard good things on hedmans, and I've heard hookers quality has gone down over the years, I've been researching Dougs and they seem to be top quality now days.
Headers are sometimes tight to fit in and it's a job that you don't want to have to do over within six months or a year.
If you are going to get them coated yourself that's a smart move, but I would think twice about installing uncoated headers.
Just my opinion.
eurekax (11-13-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 12:52 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I've heard good things on hedmans, and I've heard hookers quality has gone down over the years, I've been researching Dougs and they seem to be top quality now days.
Headers are sometimes tight to fit in and it's a job that you don't want to have to do over within six months or a year.
If you are going to get them coated yourself that's a smart move, but I would think twice about installing uncoated headers.
Just my opinion.
I would second this. Uncoated headers rust out way to soon and give off enormous amounts of heat. Be prepared for hot floors.

I've been using Jet Hot's Sterling ceramic coating for many years. It really cuts down on heat in the engine compartment and under the floors. They last years longer too. The set I had on my 64 Impala SS were 15 years old and still looked like new. They can stain though. The set I had in my 80 Vette got drenched with antifreeze and it baked in. They were just dull and discolored a little is all though. I just painted them with ceramic aluminum color paint to use in my 75 Vert. They look great again.

Mike
eurekax (11-13-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 05:48 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

The Hedman's have fitment issues with the Steeroids rack and a number of other aftermarket items. The Hooker's fit super well, but you pay for the privilege.

Doug's and Thorley's are ever so slightly different since the original owner owns one company and his x wife the other. If you want a tri-y design and you want an extra 500-1000 rpm out of it (obviously with major engine modifications vs where you are now) the Stan's Tri-Ys for our C3s would be my choice.

The cheapest coated headers you can get are the FlowTech's (owned by Holley); they're available for right at $300 from autozone with a sale. They're not equal length nor a "tuned" length, although technically all lengths are tuned, just the RPM changes.

If you're just looking for a GOOD set of headers and you to focus on low-end torque, I'd go with the Stans Tri-Ys. The Thorleys /Dougs also have plenty of fitament issues especially around spark plug boots.

If you're sticking with the stock 200hp engine, get all the torque you can and go with a tri-y design, if it's in the budget ($700-$800...).

I regret buying my FlowTechs as I just really wish I'd gone with Stans because I think my torque monster and good fuel economy goals would be better suited to a tri-y design.

Adam
eurekax (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 08:57 AM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by v2racing
I would second this. Uncoated headers rust out way to soon and give off enormous amounts of heat. Be prepared for hot floors.

I've been using Jet Hot's Sterling ceramic coating for many years. It really cuts down on heat in the engine compartment and under the floors. They last years longer too. The set I had on my 64 Impala SS were 15 years old and still looked like new. They can stain though. The set I had in my 80 Vette got drenched with antifreeze and it baked in. They were just dull and discolored a little is all though. I just painted them with ceramic aluminum color paint to use in my 75 Vert. They look great again.

Mike
Ding ding, I have Doug's headers on my 454. Had them sent to OK City so Jet Hot could coat them with 2300 (couldn't do it in the NC store). The under hood heat was reduced dramatically and zero rust. I only had one fitment issue with my Borgeson PS box, which is slightly larger than a stock box. In retrospect I should have installed a rack vs. the box.
eurekax (11-13-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Headers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers