C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed: Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 02:17 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,699 Likes on 2,938 Posts

I remember having toys and projects when I was young. They always took the back seat to family. That's ok because the toys will get done in time but family is now and much more fun and exciting than a corvette will ever be.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:04 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Yep!!!
Old 11-18-2017, 03:51 PM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Some forum members love to suggest what you should buy because they're not paying for it and it becomes expensive. You don't need some of the parts or quality of what they suggest e.g. Borgenson steering assembly, Bilstein shocks. That's expensive and totally unnecessary. You may need shocks if they are worn out. And if so, you don't need to spend $100/shock. More guys here than not don't have a Borgenson. You don't need it.
If all your wanting to do is cruise around in a cool car, keep it simple and buy only the parts you need at a reasonable price and save the rest for gas. Otoh, if you have a big budget, by all means, spend away whether its needed or not.
Good advice that I should heed
Old 11-18-2017, 11:46 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Some forum members love to suggest what you should buy because they're not paying for it and it becomes expensive. You don't need some of the parts or quality of what they suggest e.g. Borgenson steering assembly, Bilstein shocks. That's expensive and totally unnecessary. You may need shocks if they are worn out. And if so, you don't need to spend $100/shock. More guys here than not don't have a Borgenson. You don't need it.
If all your wanting to do is cruise around in a cool car, keep it simple and buy only the parts you need at a reasonable price and save the rest for gas. Otoh, if you have a big budget, by all means, spend away whether its needed or not.
Well, actually the borgeson box was a very cost effective way to "fix" my power steering. The old system was original. Everything needed to be replaced, rebuilt, and restored. Im a fairly competent mechanic, I bought the parts, did the rebuild and was still left with a powersteering system that wasnt very good. So...I swapped in the borgeson box. What a simple, well engineered swap it was. I wasted money on rebuilding the old system. I did recoup some by selling original parts, but had I just bought that borgeson box in the first place, it would have really been cost efficient.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:16 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,130 Likes on 733 Posts

For me it was cheaper than a steering box rebuild on my 71 + the handling difference was stunning.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 11-19-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:42 AM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Let me give a nod to newbvetteguy and resdoggie; I went "nuclear" with one massive case of "while I'm at it...". For me the process is rewarding, and I get to spend lots of time working with my hands in the mens crisis center (aka the garage.) This method is also expensive, and worse yet, I'm now 2 3/4 years since purchase and still havent driven the damn thing for a road trip. There's not a day that goes by where I dont think the thought: "I cant wait to drive that thing and go to shows and park my *** in a folding, shaded chair and answer questions all morning long and then go for a drive after a burnout or 4"...but I digress.
in the end, I'll have a 74 coupe made to order, upgraded everywhere with tech to about a mid-90s/2000's car. But I knew it would be a long haul. I'd still like to drive it sooner, but will have to wait until spring. Its been at the body shop for about 7 months, and ahould be home in Jan in time to prep for spring season.
Good luck, the hobby is funner-than-hell. Drive it for a while after fixing steering. Then plan your dream car. ;-)
The following users liked this post:
resdoggie (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 11:20 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

My "while your at it" list definitely went nuclear. Handles well now though.
Attached Images       
Old 11-20-2017, 08:56 AM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
Well, actually the borgeson box was a very cost effective way to "fix" my power steering. The old system was original. Everything needed to be replaced, rebuilt, and restored. Im a fairly competent mechanic, I bought the parts, did the rebuild and was still left with a powersteering system that wasnt very good. So...I swapped in the borgeson box. What a simple, well engineered swap it was. I wasted money on rebuilding the old system. I did recoup some by selling original parts, but had I just bought that borgeson box in the first place, it would have really been cost efficient.
Well, I walked out this morning to [what I hope was] more power steering fluid all over the ground, sooooo Borg box it is LOL!

Originally Posted by Cool bean
Let me give a nod to newbvetteguy and resdoggie; I went "nuclear" with one massive case of "while I'm at it...". For me the process is rewarding, and I get to spend lots of time working with my hands in the mens crisis center (aka the garage.) This method is also expensive, and worse yet, I'm now 2 3/4 years since purchase and still havent driven the damn thing for a road trip. There's not a day that goes by where I dont think the thought: "I cant wait to drive that thing and go to shows and park my *** in a folding, shaded chair and answer questions all morning long and then go for a drive after a burnout or 4"...but I digress.
in the end, I'll have a 74 coupe made to order, upgraded everywhere with tech to about a mid-90s/2000's car. But I knew it would be a long haul. I'd still like to drive it sooner, but will have to wait until spring. Its been at the body shop for about 7 months, and ahould be home in Jan in time to prep for spring season.
Good luck, the hobby is funner-than-hell. Drive it for a while after fixing steering. Then plan your dream car. ;-)
I am hoping to get my driving bugs out by doing The Great Race every year. I am fortunate enough to be able to participate with a couple of friends of mine. While we dont drive my Corvette, we do take a '68 Mustang and a '28 Model A Speedster. Although I am quite anxious to get my beauty up and running

Originally Posted by 63mako
My "while your at it" list definitely went nuclear. Handles well now though.
You didnt go nuclear, you went Big Bang. thats absolutely beautiful, well done!

Quick Reply: Advice Needed: Front Suspension