C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers/motor issue on 72

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 09:58 AM
72ragtop
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Wipers/motor issue on 72

I had the wiper motor restored about 2 yrs ago. Everything worked fine til I went to start one day. When the car started after sitting a few months. The wiper door opened and wipers started working til i shut the car off. Checked the switch. Was in off position. Both speeds worked. But motor continues to run as car runs. Checked switch, wiring. All good. In looking this issue up I've seen that the motor may not be going back into park position. Just wanted to see if anyone had ideas before i start pulling w/m out again. Thanks in advance
Old 11-18-2017, 11:03 AM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 72ragtop
I had the wiper motor restored about 2 yrs ago. Everything worked fine til I went to start one day. When the car started after sitting a few months. The wiper door opened and wipers started working til i shut the car off. Checked the switch. Was in off position. Both speeds worked. But motor continues to run as car runs. Checked switch, wiring. All good. In looking this issue up I've seen that the motor may not be going back into park position. Just wanted to see if anyone had ideas before i start pulling w/m out again. Thanks in advance

The problem is your switch isn't breaking contact. The switch provides the ground for the motor to operate and when you turn the switch OFF it's supposed to break contact. But it isn't breaking contact.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:58 AM
D_Williams
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

There could also be a short in the wiring somewhere.

In the off position, the switch should only ground the black/white wire which would then only ground the green wire at the wiper motor.
In low speed, the switch grounds both the black/white and the dark blue wires, which then ground both the green and dark blue wires at the motor.
In high speed, the switch only grounds the dark blue wire which then only grounds the dark blue wire at the motor.

Somehow, the dark blue wire at the switch always has ground. Whether it is the switch itself or a short can be determined by testing the wiper switch with the process in this video.

Good luck
Old 11-18-2017, 01:45 PM
72ragtop
Pro

Actually was the switch. when i took it off something was rattling inside. Put one on i had lying around and all works as intended. When i have time ill pry back the prongs on the old one and see whats rattling. Thanks to all.

Last edited by 72ragtop; 11-18-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:10 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 72ragtop
Actually was the switch. when i took it off something was rattling inside. Put one on i had lying around and all works as intended. When i have time ill pry back the prongs on the old one and see whats rattling.

My latest Chinese made switch will shut my wipers off about 50% of the time. If the slide handle would move about 1/32" more to the left it would shut them off all the time. One of these days I'll take it apart and see if there's something I can do to it so it'll break the motor's ground 100% of the time.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:56 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by NeverTooOld
My latest Chinese made switch will shut my wipers off about 50% of the time. If the slide handle would move about 1/32" more to the left it would shut them off all the time. One of these days I'll take it apart and see if there's something I can do to it so it'll break the motor's ground 100% of the time.
The china made switchers are junk.. we actually pulled them from the site. We carry a new switch that is LL brand. I don't know where it's made, don't care either... it works!!! The China switches have too many variables that are not correct.

CA actually contacted me because for a while I was fixing them and they wanted to know how.. But my success rate was about 25 percent and it's no fun taking the new switches apart and then only have a 25 percent fix ratio... It just wasn't worth the time.... So we switched vendors to one that works just fine.

Willcox
Old 11-18-2017, 02:57 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by D_Williams
There could also be a short in the wiring somewhere.

In the off position, the switch should only ground the black/white wire which would then only ground the green wire at the wiper motor.
In low speed, the switch grounds both the black/white and the dark blue wires, which then ground both the green and dark blue wires at the motor.
In high speed, the switch only grounds the dark blue wire which then only grounds the dark blue wire at the motor.

Somehow, the dark blue wire at the switch always has ground. Whether it is the switch itself or a short can be determined by testing the wiper switch with the process in this video.

Good luck
LOL.. You beat me to my own stuff...
Old 11-18-2017, 06:53 PM
72ragtop
Pro

Thanks Never too Old. I was fortunate to have a few original lying around. Like those easy fixes.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:13 AM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Is it possible to repair the original switch? What causes their failure? I have an issue where the wiper functions seem coordinated, but the switch does not turn the wipers off. I have to turn the car off to stop the wipers. If it’s the switch, I’m hoping I can repair the contacts instead of buying a potentially more unreliable switch.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:26 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by maj75
Is it possible to repair the original switch? What causes their failure? I have an issue where the wiper functions seem coordinated, but the switch does not turn the wipers off. I have to turn the car off to stop the wipers. If it’s the switch, I’m hoping I can repair the contacts instead of buying a potentially more unreliable switch.
Yes, original switches can be repaired. You just have to be careful not to break the housing.

There are three tangs that have to be pried open, then remove the parts clean them insert a bit if dielectric grease and re-install. When you re-crimp the switch is the tricky part.

Willcox
Old 11-21-2017, 09:28 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

I don't think the switch is the issue though...

Here are the main articles and videos on the web site to help you.

Upload and save this PDF first...

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...-with-test.pdf

Video on testing the motor:
1969-1972

Video on testing the switch

Wiper Motor Bench Test 69-72

1969-1976 Corvette Wiper Motor Bench Testing and Some Relay Repair Help

Ohhhhhh sooooo Free Simple schematic.

Willcox-

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-21-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:59 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
The china made switchers are junk.. we actually pulled them from the site. We carry a new switch that is LL brand. I don't know where it's made, don't care either... it works!!! The China switches have too many variables that are not correct.

CA actually contacted me because for a while I was fixing them and they wanted to know how.. But my success rate was about 25 percent and it's no fun taking the new switches apart and then only have a 25 percent fix ratio... It just wasn't worth the time.... So we switched vendors to one that works just fine.

Willcox

I just installed one of your LL switches yesterday and.....it only works about half of the time. It does not detent well from OFF to LOW...goes straight to HIGH...and then sometimes when going back to OFF, the wipers keep running.

I put my original DR switch back in and it doesn't do any of this stuff.

FYI....

Get notified of new replies

To Wipers/motor issue on 72

Quick Reply: Wipers/motor issue on 72