C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter Horsepower Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:22 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
:agree:

TBTR?
Gee, ya think???
Old 11-27-2017, 10:28 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Great looking Mopar!

JIM
Thanks Jim. Thats my other car. lol Its a lot of fun to drive as well. It started out as a 20,000 original mile granny car. took four years to complete.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:19 AM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Heck with good air filtration, I want HORSEPOWER:
Old 12-01-2017, 02:09 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I'll stick with what I got. A tall K&N, 4", but with a drop base.

Nice air filter lid...Where did you get it from?
The following users liked this post:
resdoggie (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 06:00 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

If I recall correctly Engine Masters found the common 14" X 3" open pleated paper filters supported around 350 horsepower before they began choking the engine. If you operate an engine anywhere near a lot of dust it's imperative you use the most efficient air filter and the AC Delco's have always proven to be the best in the testing I have seen.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:25 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverTooOld
If I recall correctly Engine Masters found the common 14" X 3" open pleated paper filters supported around 350 horsepower before they began choking the engine. If you operate an engine anywhere near a lot of dust it's imperative you use the most efficient air filter and the AC Delco's have always proven to be the best in the testing I have seen.
From K&N's web site:

Most people believe that all air filters function on a go/no go basis where dirt particles that are larger than the openings in the filter media are trapped while particles that are smaller than the openings can pass right through. A dry paper air filter does function in this manner. That's why paper filters are so restrictive to air flow. The openings in this type of filter have to be very small to filter efficiently.

The oiled cotton filter media used in the K&N air filter functions in an entirely different manner. There are scientific principles that determine how an air filter removes dirt particles from the air stream. The first of these principles is known as interception, which applies to dirt particles traveling with the air stream. Air flow will always take the shortest path and as the air is forced to flow around the filter's fibers some of the particles will contact the sides of the fibers and be captured. These particles are then held in place by the oil or tacking agent in the fiber.

Another principle is known as impaction, which mostly affects larger or heavier dirt particles. Impaction occurs when the inertia or momentum of the particle causes it to deviate from the flow path. In other words the heavy particles do not follow the air stream around the filter's fibers but instead they run straight into the fibers and are captured.

The most important principle for our use is diffusion, which deals with the laws of physics that govern the motion of very small dirt particles. Small particles are highly affected by the forces in the air stream. Forces such as velocity changes, pressure changes, turbulence caused by other particles and interaction with the air molecules cause these very small particles to become random and chaotic. As a result, these particles do not follow the air stream and their erratic motion causes them to collide with the filter's fibers. This phenomenon enables an air filter to capture dirt particles that are much smaller than the openings in the media. In addition, the way that dirt collects or loads on the K&N filter is very different. A paper filter exhibits "surface loading" which means dust collects only on the surface of the media. In contrast, K&N filters exhibit "depth loading". The multiple layers of cotton fibers provide many levels of dust retention. This characteristic allows the K&N filter to hold significantly more dirt per square inch of media than the average paper filter. Utilizing these scientific principles, K&N has been able to design an air filter that is very free flowing while also being highly efficient at removing dirt from the air.
There is more if you care to read.

https://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm

Last edited by REELAV8R; 12-01-2017 at 06:28 PM.
jb78L-82 (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 06:40 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by zrc3john
Nice air filter lid...Where did you get it from?
Allstar Performance. Summit has them.

Last edited by resdoggie; 12-01-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:59 PM
george2066
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default agree

Originally Posted by Priya
The trouble with these efficiency tests is that they don't take into account how well the filter removes dirt from the air. Sure, you can have a low restriction filter, but if its letting all the dirt through do you really want it?

The K&N filters in particular are crap at filtering out dirt from the air. Plus if you're running a mass air flow fuel injection the oil in the filter (assuming you've actually oiled it as recommended) contaminates the mass air flow sensor and makes your car not run right.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:57 PM
Captain bob
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wonder how the real 1967 thru 69 vintage L-88 open wire mesh air cleaner inside a foam ring would have rated with forced air from windshield into opening in back of hood.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:57 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

The K&N filters in particular are crap at filtering out dirt from the air. Plus if you're running a mass air flow fuel injection the oil in the filter (assuming you've actually oiled it as recommended) contaminates the mass air flow sensor and makes your car not run right.
I'm not sure where this kind of statement comes from. Lack of actual experience with a product, lack of understanding how it works or just plain ignorance.

I have used K&N filters for over a decade now and have never experienced any issues that this statement claims to have with these filters.
I had a car with over 230,000 miles on a K&N filter. did not use oil, had no lack of compression and never contaminated the MAF sensor. I live on a gravel road so there is no lack of dirt exposure.
So where do people come up with this stuff?

If you want to see if dirt is getting by a filter put a piece of double sided tape, or a glob of white lithium grease, just down wind of the air filter. Check it at regular intervals and see if there is dirt/dust stuck to it.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
I'm not sure where this kind of statement comes from. Lack of actual experience with a product, lack of understanding how it works or just plain ignorance.

I have used K&N filters for over a decade now and have never experienced any issues that this statement claims to have with these filters.
I had a car with over 230,000 miles on a K&N filter. did not use oil, had no lack of compression and never contaminated the MAF sensor. I live on a gravel road so there is no lack of dirt exposure.

If you want to see if dirt is getting by a filter put a piece of double sided tape, or a glob of white lithium grease, just down wind of the air filter. Check it at regular intervals and see if there is dirt/dust stuck to it.
I can see the big $ Baja Trophy Trucks are in a lot of trouble! lol
Old 12-02-2017, 02:39 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R

Either they don't understand the science/just don't understand the data being presented to refute the nonsense that they are spewing OR are just plain, as you said, ignorant...no other explanation.

Best solution is the paper filter folks continue to use them and the rest can use whatever else they want......

Last edited by jb78L-82; 12-02-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The suggestion that K&N filters are not effective reminds me of the same argument that Dewitts Radiators are not worth it. Some people are so cynical that when everyone else on the planet is using a particular product, they can't help themselves and suggest the product is junk and us poor sheep are just slaves to slick marketing!!! I have used K&N filters on trucks, motorcycles and cars, and never have looked back. The measurement of success is based on reality. They have proven themselves over and over again. Denying it is silly.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 12-02-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:33 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82

Either they don't understand the science/just don't understand the data being presented to refute the nonsense that they are spewing OR are just plain, as you said, ignorant...no other explanation.

Best solution is the paper filter folks continue to use them and the rest can use whatever else they want......
Oxymoron... you have counterdicting statements... you agree K&N is best the tell everyone to get paper????

K&N here
Old 12-02-2017, 04:48 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Stop ruining my beliefs with facts!
Bongson (06-06-2023)
Old 12-02-2017, 05:23 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
Oxymoron... you have counterdicting statements... you agree K&N is best the tell everyone to get paper????

K&N here
Paul,

Let's try this again:

If you like paper filters, use them, and if you don't like paper filters, use something else....I'm done trying to convince others that the K&N is better....everyone should do what they think is best...very simple
Old 12-02-2017, 07:35 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Paul,

Let's try this again:

If you like paper filters, use them, and if you don't like paper filters, use something else....I'm done trying to convince others that the K&N is better....everyone should do what they think is best...very simple
Gotch'a!!

Get notified of new replies

To Air Filter Horsepower Shootout

Old 12-02-2017, 08:09 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

You can always find a downfall in a product but it is significant enough to cause any real damage? In a product like K&N, having used them for 20 years or so, I think not. That's why they are still in business making gazillions of dollars because they just work, plain and simple. Haters will hate.
Torqued Off (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 09:38 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Anyone remember the air hog filter? Years back I had a 95 mustang 5.0 ( I don't know why everyone raves about the 5.0 engine) the thing was a dog, I mean it had some power I would say...

I remember throwing in an air hog air filter...I have to say I actually felt a little seat of the pants increase...I have used K & N filters because I just believe the data I am reading about them....

Thing is when you start getting into 400-500 horsepower builds I think whatever filter you use won't make or break it....Use whatever your comfortable with...

Last edited by zrc3john; 12-02-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:47 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

I think it is ridiculous that anybody would put a double pumper on a street car under a K&N filter. Lmao! He has got us again!

Quick Reply: Air Filter Horsepower Shootout