C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel cell for c3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:37 PM
Bigeddie
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default fuel cell for c3?

well as i can't afford to pay 3 grand for a fuel cell(only one i found to be a direct fit)
Has anyone used a fuel cell that fit in stock location more or less. i dont have a spare tire there so going a little bigger is definitely is an option.? old threads are ruined by photo bucket and links not working so i figured i would make a thread.Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:59 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigeddie
well as i can't afford to pay 3 grand for a fuel cell(only one i found to be a direct fit)
Has anyone used a fuel cell that fit in stock location more or less. i dont have a spare tire there so going a little bigger is definitely is an option.? old threads are ruined by photo bucket and links not working so i figured i would make a thread.Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

do you really want all that fuel at 7# a gallon up so high? you can buy one of these 34x17x? for $1000-$2000 depending on size, the ? refers to the height, the taller the cell the more fuel it holds, this one is a nascar road race 18gal
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
TCracingCA (12-03-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 03:06 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

why cannt use use one of these?
https://fuelsafe.com/pro-cell-fuel-cell/
Old 11-30-2017, 04:33 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I put a 22 gal Fuel Safe Saver cell in my 70 road race car. Had to fab my own mounts and cut approx 2 1/2 " into the rear compartment. It just barely will clear the rear sway bar. This saved me from having a custom cell made as it was a standard size and only about $500. I will have to use a funnel to fill it cause I dropped it closer to the ground. The cell is also approved by almost everyone, FIA,SCCA, etc.

Last edited by Pop Chevy; 11-30-2017 at 04:34 PM.
TCracingCA (12-03-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 11:36 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

This could be very interesting area to address!

I took out a 32 gallon ATL!!!!

#1- I am not planning to run LeMans, but would like to get out and back from LA to San Diego or Los Angeles to Buttonwillow/Willow Springs on a single tank, carrying some with me in a spare container to make the round trip because of the MPG! Running race level cars on street, is expensive!!!
#2- the weight of the car is already biased to the rear, so adding fuel back there will cause inferior chassis handling!

So where do I put the fuel?

I am looking at the jack compartments in the C2 for my newest cell to get a low in the chassis/mid chassis location and for one of the C3s if iever go that far toward race (technical of the blue car, it is essentially as fast as anyone's race car in the Country now) but in the battery box and luggage area. Naturally the rules require it to be isolated from the cockpit, so need to wall it off! Plus should protect from throwing a driveshaft, so integrate a loop! The 36 gallons were put essentially in the cockpit with a removable panel! My idea would be to mold it over the center hump and still have carpeted panel in the C2 and cutting a lot of glass for the C3!

Just because I would like to kick all of your butts!
Old 11-30-2017, 11:38 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redvetracr
do you really want all that fuel at 7# a gallon up so high? you can buy one of these 34x17x? for $1000-$2000 depending on size, the ? refers to the height, the taller the cell the more fuel it holds, this one is a nascar road race 18gal
I don't get the dry sump tank on the drivers side! Usually always on the passengers side for balancing out the chassis side to side?

Last edited by TCracingCA; 12-01-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:06 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I don't get the dry sump tank on the drivers side! Usually always on the passengers side for balancing out the chassis side to side?
the placement of the diagonal in the main hoop and the main hoop itself being moved forward (notice it`s not on the kickup) made mounting the oil tank on the right side impossible, trust me we tried and I don`t like them in the drivers compartment
TCracingCA (12-03-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 10:00 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redvetracr
the placement of the diagonal in the main hoop and the main hoop itself being moved forward (notice it`s not on the kickup) made mounting the oil tank on the right side impossible, trust me we tried and I don`t like them in the drivers compartment
I know you will build an awesome car again! 👍

The engineering differently can be tricky! All of these race cars gravitated toward the same general things, tank locations, bar configurations, etc. Maybe why my projects are taking so long, trying to put stuff where it hasn't been put before! I don't have a dry sump setup, as I was trying to keep it toward the true vintage using Avaiad F-5000 pan, Milodon Louvered screen windage tray is a little more modern and scraper, etc. and I have my Traco block adapter and the Traco remote and stuff like that! But I have a 3 quart Accusump set up! I am trying to not let the trick technology show!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 12-02-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To fuel cell for c3?

Quick Reply: fuel cell for c3?