C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Copper/brass radiator surprise...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 01:48 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Copper/brass radiator surprise...

Went to have my radiator repaired and found out most shops no longer repair; they replace.

Shop nearest me had drained their tank and had no plans to fill it with 'drano' (his words). He sent me to a shop (20 miles further) that WILL repair. My lower inlet is dented and it deformed the tank. I must have forced it past the a-arm assembly and bent it when I installed in 2014. No wonder it never sealed... it couldn't with the deformity.

He said radiators are now pretty much throw-away. Few shops service the copper/brass units anymore unless they do NOT require re-core. If the core is leaking, they don't stock the replacement cores due to the value/cost of the copper/brass (OSHA has also done away with the manufacture due to the lead/solder dangers).

So, if I have to ever buy another radiator, 'Mike' tells me it will either have to be all-aluminum (better for heat transfer but a pain to repair) OR the throw-away plastic tank/metal core.

World is a-changing'...

Last edited by TedH; 12-01-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:15 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by TedH
Went to have my radiator repaired and found out most shops no longer repair; they replace.

Shop nearest me had drained their tank and had no plans to fill it with 'drano' (his words). He sent me to a shop (20 miles further) that WILL repair. My lower inlet is dented and it deformed the tank. I must have forced it past the a-arm assembly and bent it when I installed in 2014. No wonder it never sealed... it couldn't with the deformity.

He said radiators are now pretty much throw-away. Few shops service the copper/brass units anymore unless they do NOT require re-core. If the core is leaking, they don't stock the replacement cores due to the value/cost of the copper/brass (OSHA has also done away with the manufacture due to the lead/solder dangers).

So, if I have to ever buy another radiator, 'Mike' tells me it will either have to be all-aluminum (better for heat transfer but a pain to repair) OR the throw-away plastic tank/metal core.

World is a-changing'...
You can buy the correct replacement radiator but what you have to worry about is aftermarket radiators. The lower tube on the radiator has a notch in it for clearance of the sway bar, aftermarket radiators won't have this.

Unfortunately, the x2213 radiator that fits correctly is currently on backorder. The Dewitt's version of this radiator in aluminum is available but honestly, I'd just wait for the correct brass repro to come off backorder.

Now.. as to your issue with the radiator shop. We have a local shop here that doesn't seem to have any issues re-coring an old radiator. I'm not sure why but maybe it's a state thing but we can usually get them re-cored if needed.

Willcox
The following users liked this post:
TedH (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 04:55 PM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

It's a fact that there are a lot less shops that repair the old copper/brass radiators. In most cases there's just not enough volume to keep them busy. The new cars have been made with aluminum radiators and plastic tanks that are crimped together. When the fail they just get replaced. We still have a couple of the old time shops around here and I had my 68 BB radiator done last year.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:10 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Repairing copper/lead radiators has long term adverse health effects because of the lead fumes when good ventilation isn't used and I have never seen any radiator repair shop that used any kind of overhead hood with a fan to suck the fumes up and blow them away.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:08 PM
Captain bob
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cap- A- Radiator on route 109 nassau county,long island NY is a old time radiator shop whom can repair any copper/lead radiator including 1908 model T ford . they took my leaking 71 with A/C and made it perfect .keeps 408" 525 hp cool in 95 degree day bumper to bumper traffic. they do beautiful work. old timers 60 plus years old do the actual work!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2017, 10:57 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Captain bob
Cap- A- Radiator on route 109 nassau county,long island NY is a old time radiator shop whom can repair any copper/lead radiator including 1908 model T ford . they took my leaking 71 with A/C and made it perfect .keeps 408" 525 hp cool in 95 degree day bumper to bumper traffic. they do beautiful work. old timers 60 plus years old do the actual work!!!!!!!
I took it to 'Tommy's Auto Service' in South St Pete and they are repairing the bent lower inlet and tank. Should be ready Monday. The shop I went to first said the business had trailed off so much for copper/brass radiator repair that he is just sending that business to Tommy's who apparently still has the business volume.

I did a quick search and DID find copper/brass replacement radiators for good prices still. I guess there are still some businesses building/repairing but more of the search results include the plastic/aluminum and all-aluminum replacements.

Last edited by TedH; 12-02-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:59 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I've seen a lot of rebuild and repair dissapear in my lifetime. I remember when you could get rebuild kits for lots of things that are no longer available. Back in the 60's when I started working on cars, you could get rebuild kits for fuel pumps, water pumps and even solenoids.

There used to be rebuild shops that just did starters, generators and alternators. There were lots of TV repair shops, even vacuum cleaner repair.

It's become a throw away world. Funny thing is young people think we were the throw away generation and they invented recycling.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
70LQ4 (12-04-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

I had a header tube blow out and I took the header to 4-5 muffler shops to get a section cut out and replaced. No way! I got comments like "I don't know if my guy can weld pipe like that" and "we only replace parts". I finally found a old school shop that did it. Funny thing is that the owner of the old school shop is only about 30 yrs old.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:43 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

just put a new aluminum rad in my 72. Gene said an 89 camaro v8 rad would fit, and it did, but had to spend 3-4 hrs on the elbows. well worth the effort since it cost ONLY $89 and is made in Canada (even cheaper from china but i have my limits)
Old 12-03-2017, 01:48 AM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by v2racing
I've seen a lot of rebuild and repair dissapear in my lifetime. I remember when you could get rebuild kits for lots of things that are no longer available. Back in the 60's when I started working on cars, you could get rebuild kits for fuel pumps, water pumps and even solenoids.

There used to be rebuild shops that just did starters, generators and alternators. There were lots of TV repair shops, even vacuum cleaner repair.

It's become a throw away world. Funny thing is young people think we were the throw away generation and they invented recycling.

Mike
So true, I had a buddy tell me there'd be all kinds of new technician jobs created to fix cell phone (I'm in the electronic mfg. industry), he was shocked when I told him they really don't do a lot a fixing anymore, they just build extras cause it's cheaper.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:05 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Picked up the repaired radiator today. $107 and ready the next business day. The shop rounded the lower inlet perfectly and the bump on inlet perimeter is perfect; even squared the inlet and tank surfaces where it was indented. Plus a nice coat of semi-gloss black paint. Pressure tested before and after. 90-day repair warrant.

American Workmanship!

Get notified of new replies

To Copper/brass radiator surprise...

Quick Reply: Copper/brass radiator surprise...