C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Electric Fan Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,004 Likes on 688 Posts

Default 82 Electric Fan Replacement

Does anyone know of a vendor that sells a radiator factory replacement electric fan for an 82? Mine decided to give up the ghost yesterday. OR is there a suitable sub that can be used to replace the factory fan dimension wise. Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 12-08-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:15 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

Rockauto has the fan motor. $26. Listed under cooling system tab.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...

Originally Posted by speedreed8
Rockauto has the fan motor. $26. Listed under cooling system tab.
Awesome, I'll check that out. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:27 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Does anyone know of a vendor that sells a radiator factory replacement electric fan for an 82? Mine decided to give up the ghost yesterday. OR is there a suitable sub that can be used to replace the factory fan dimension wise. Thanks in advance for any info.

The auxiliary fan only turns on when the coolant temperature hits 228 degrees. Are you absolutely certain it has power to it? As that fan very rarely turns on I can't imagine it ever wearing out. In the 30 years I have owned my '82 my fan has only turned on one time that I know of and that was on a 110 degree day after I shut my engine off. After sitting for a couple of minutes I heard it kick on and I wondered what that unusual noise was. I popped my hood open and saw it was actually running but it only ran for a couple of minutes then shut off. The fan gets its power from the switch in the right cylinder head and it's very possible the wires came unplugged from the switch OR the switch lost its power (And I don't know where the power for the switch comes from because the wiring diagram in my shop manual is now unreadable).

Last edited by NeverTooOld; 12-08-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NeverTooOld
The auxiliary fan only turns on when the coolant temperature hits 228 degrees. Are you absolutely certain it has power to it? As that fan very rarely turns on I can't imagine it ever wearing out. In the 30 years I have owned my '82 my fan has only turned on one time that I know of and that was on a 110 degree day after I shut my engine off. After sitting for a couple of minutes I heard it kick on and I wondered what that unusual noise was. I popped my hood open and saw it was actually running but it only ran for a couple of minutes then shut off. The fan gets its power from the switch in the right cylinder head and it's very possible the wires came unplugged from the switch OR the switch lost its power (And I don't know where the power for the switch comes from because the wiring diagram in my shop manual is now unreadable).
Yeah, I know that it doesn't come on much and my switch is different than stock and comes on earlier, but living in AZ and driving it in the summer does take its toll on things. Last Saturday coming back from the car show I decided to get on it with the new motor and when it shifted back into 3rd at 6,300 I smelled coolant and the temp started to go up a little. I got off the freeway and shut it off at about 210*. I blew a water pump gasket and was pissing fluid everywhere. Towed it home. I replaced the gaskets and thermostat with the same type which is a flowkooler high flow just for good measure since its a dozen years old or so.

Anyway, I bypassed the switch to check the fan to see if it was working OK, it isn't, it's dead. No big deal I guess other than I thought who sells the fan? With the new aluminum radiator in it should be OK to drive now that its winter here in AZ and the temps are now in the 70's. I bought the fan motor off of Rockauto today as suggested above and hopefully swap it out with no issues. I was thinking about installing a complete new electric fan system a while ago, maybe I will do that now or at least think about it more.

Upside, the new motor is running awesome even with the old tune in it right now. Going back up to Lake Havasu, AZ to finish the tune at EFI University in January. I swaped out the DartPro1 heads with my AFR 195 heads and removed the new roller cam and installed another larger roller from Bullet Racing. It runs nice so far, more on that later in 2018.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 12-08-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 Electric Fan Replacement

Quick Reply: 82 Electric Fan Replacement