C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 1975 Blackout

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 01:01 PM
jkrch
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 1975 Blackout

Hi Everyone,

Not a registered member yet but I would need a little help. About a month ago, I have become a new lower to my Corvette C3 1975 small block with an automatic gear. After making about 200 miles with the car without any problem, we have experienced sudden death = I have parked the car in the garage and when back, I have found the car in a complete blackout. Sure I have checked the battery first but it seems to be OK, contacts clean, well fixed, shows 12V and no voltage decline when the key turned on. We have also tried on starting cables from my friend's car as well as changing the battery, still the same. It had happened only once that when on cables, the car suddenly got alive, we started it up, after that again on the car battery only, but after switching off dead again. Actually, the problem is that really nothing happens when the key is turned on, no juice, everything is completely black dead. Might be any kind of relay or any secret switch/ fuse I do not know about? Currently located in Abu Dhabi where it is difficult to find a qualified mechanic so I will have to help myself by my own.

Thanks a lot for any advise.

Best regards,
Jiri
Old 12-30-2017, 02:11 PM
js1977
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Might try a new battery, the connections may be worn out and not allowing for a good connection
Then check your battery cables, making sure you have a good solid ground.Check your alternator as well.

Last edited by js1977; 12-30-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:57 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,633 Posts

90% of these kind of issues are "ground" related. Or I should say poor ground related.
If you can get under the car, check the ground cable off of the battery to the frame. You could remove that, clean, reinstall. Also, a second ground strap should be in place near the starter and goes to the frame. A lot of those grd straps / cables are missing on C3s for some reason.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-02-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:06 AM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I had the same thing happen when I first bought my 74 coupe. it was the ground cable from battery to frame. although the cable looked fine, it was corroded on the inside. replacing the battery ground-to-frame cable fixed my issue.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:39 AM
jkrch
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resolved

Thanks you all. I had checked on various grounds and contacts and the starter solenoid contacts was the problem. I did a little fireworks when tightening the screw but it works normal now and starts up at the first turn of the engine. Now, I have breaking checking ahead as I am loosing the fluid somewhere and the dash break light shines...

Get notified of new replies

To C3 1975 Blackout

Quick Reply: C3 1975 Blackout