C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springs, retainers, & keepers

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 04:43 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
At full lift on the intake according to the spec sheet you should be .075 from coil bind.
This leaves you .015” left for a shim to adjust the seat and nose pressure higher.
I would check with Jesgs to see what the spring rate is.
Multiply that rate( ie 350#/ inch ) by .015 and see how much pressure may be added.
I would also invest in a valve spring height micrometer. Better check it whether you buy new springs or not.

https://goo.gl/images/eCYA8H

You may be able to use the springs supplied with the head.

So is there a way to calculate the spring rate from the available specs on Jegs.com or should I email jegs and explicitly ask this question?

Adam
Old 01-07-2018, 04:47 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

On the spring height micrometers: it seems like you have to buy them based upon the retainer diameter so I can either choose to buy one that works with beehive springs and their small retainers or the standard / double spring sized retainers.

There's no way I'm buying 2 of these so I guess I need to be able to estimate whether my current springs shimmed 0.015" are going to work or not; I'm guessing not.

Adam
Old 01-07-2018, 04:48 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Spring is removed. Just use your mic, retainer, splitlocks and maybe shims. Its a clever little tool to have. Around $40 on EBay.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:54 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Spring is removed. Just use your mic, retainer, splitlocks and maybe shims. Its a clever little tool to have. Around $40 on EBay.
I'm not sure what you're referring to here; the quote feature is useful.

What's this "mic" you're talking about? To me, "mic" means "microphone".

Same question for "splitlocks" -never heard that term before; are you referring to the valve locks / "keepers"?

[Edit] Ok, i think you're talking about the valve micrometer tool ("mic") and are saying that you remove the spring, then put the micrometer over the valve stem, and start raising it up until it holds up the retainer with the valve locks installed and you can't open it any more- then whatever the reading is on the micrometer says, is your installed height. ---Took me a while; too many new terms too rapidly.

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 01-07-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:00 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
I'm not sure what you're referring to here; the quote feature is useful.

What's this "mic" you're talking about? To me, "mic" means "microphone".

Same question for "splitlocks" -never heard that term before; are you referring to the valve locks / "keepers"?

[Edit] Ok, i think you're talking about the valve micrometer tool ("mic") and are saying that you remove the spring, then put the micrometer over the valve stem, and start raising it up until it holds up the retainer with the valve locks installed and you can't open it any more- then whatever the reading is on the micrometer says, is your installed height. ---Took me a while; too many new terms too rapidly.

Adam
Different terms from different aged people I guess. Keepers have always been splitlocks to me. They Lock & they Split, get it?
Rotators have always been retainers.
"Mics" are short for micrometers.
I don't remember "mics" coming in an assortment of diameters but they are purchased according to spring height anticipated use.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-07-2018 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 05:06 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Different terms from different aged people I guess. Keepers have always been splitlocks to me. They Lock & they Split, get it?
I don't remember "mics" coming in an assortment of diameters but they are purchased according to spring height anticipated use.
Starting at cyl #1, exhaust valve, work your way down the head and record the height of each and every valve. For example #1E, #1 Int, #3 I, #3 E and so on. Write it down. Find the lowest recorded number and match all the rest to that one.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:07 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
I can guarantee you that the installed height as delivered will not be what is advertised on each valve.
The installed height they advertise may be correct on cylinder #1 for one of the valves, but the rest will probably vary. And they may all vary from the claimed 1.8" install height.
this means that your seat and over the nose pressures will also vary. Just try to get them all close to each other within the confines of coil bind and the available shim thicknesses.

Even on my AFR's the installed height varied from advertised. I shimmed all the valves up at least .015 for a 150 ish seat pressure and a 360 ish over the nose pressure. Your over the nose pressure will vary depending on the spring rate and the lobe lift height.
I don't comprehend how this is possible; if the height of the valves are all the same and the keeper grooves are all the same height how can the installed height vary from valve to valve? -Is it just that when the valve pockets were machined they were machined to different depths? -IF so that seems completely unacceptable and I can't believe such a practice is tolerated.

-If that is the problem, what is the fix?

Adam
Old 01-07-2018, 05:09 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Starting at cyl #1, exhaust valve, work your way down the head and record the height of each and every valve. For example #1E, #1 Int, #3 I, #3 E and so on. Write it down. Find the lowest recorded number and match all the rest to that one.
See the previous question; how is it possible for the installed heights to vary?

Find the lowest recorded # - that would be the shortest installed height aka the least deep spring pocket? -How can you match the others to that one? Using shims?
Can anyone refer me to a good book that covers this stuff?

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 01-07-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:14 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Thanks for that; the micrometers seem like they can only be used with certain diameters of retainers; there are different valve spring micrometers sold for standard and beehive springs.

See Proform parts #66902 1.600-2.200" standard retainers; and #67390 1.600-2.200" beehive retainers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Proform-669...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Proform-673...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

Adam
Old 01-07-2018, 05:15 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

See the previous question; how is it possible for the installed heights to vary?

Find the lowest recorded # - that would be the shortest installed height aka the least deep spring pocket? -How can you match the others to that one? Using shims?
Can anyone refer me to a good book that covers this stuff?

Adam
Any varience in height would come from a valve a smidge longer (not likely) or a valve seat grind down a pinch more, who knows. Only talking a few ten thousandths here.
Summit sells shim kits. I believe they come 32 or 48 in a kit maybe? of assorted thicknesses. In some cases you will double up on some.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:18 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Awesome! I think I learned something again today; thanks for dealing with clueless me.

I'm going to buy a regular non-beehive version because I currently have retainers and valve locks for a non-beehive spring and this measurement won't vary depending upon what retainers I have.

Anyone see anything wrong with the Proform 66902?

Adam
Old 01-07-2018, 05:19 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Thanks for that; the micrometers seem like they can only be used with certain diameters of retainers; there are different valve spring micrometers sold for standard and beehive springs.

See Proform parts #66902 1.600-2.200" standard retainers; and #67390 1.600-2.200" beehive retainers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Proform-669...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Proform-673...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

Adam
Just a quick note on Mics. Customers agreed that the black units are much easier to read at an awkward position sometimes, than the shiney aluminum units.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-07-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:36 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

A beehive mic will work on regular spring head but you have to turn it upside down to use it and be able to read upside down.

Vid on how to use one. Not sure she knows what she's talking about but you get the gist.

The valve pockets are milled different depths. At least that is what I found on the heads I have had.

Shims are .015 or .030 or .060. To get in between numbers you combine shims. IE. to get .045 you have one .030 and one .015 shim.
NewbVetteGuy (01-09-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 10:52 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

If you are going for a new engine after some usage!

I would swap swap out the 1.6 rockers for some Steel with roller 1.5s! If you make the switch, then I would see if there is room to shim up the springs, for a hair more pressure! The Chromoly retainers you ain’t going to worry at only a 6500 rpm! Redline! Those would be more than adequate for your needs! I have tool steel and titanium on my engines, but a good stout chromoly for your level is fine!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-08-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:19 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

TCracing. Back in the first posts Adam aquired heads with 130 closed and he was going to use lighter retainers for higher rpm valve control

He wants to use springs that came on the new heads
Old 01-09-2018, 11:20 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkull
TCracing. Back in the first posts Adam aquired heads with 130 closed and he was going to use lighter retainers for higher rpm valve control

He wants to use springs that came on the new heads
Kind of. I want to explore whether the springs that came on the new heads can be made to work or not; half of the reason I want to answer the question is just to learn how to calculate such a thing.

I don't mind buying the PAC springs that Mike Jones recommended for me to buy. I've got a pretty embarrassing amount of money in this build (for me anyway) and to have the whole thing blow up because I failed to install appropriate springs would be really dumb and is really something I'm just not willing to chance. (Murphy stalks me and almost always finds me.)

Now on that front: Jegs got back to me and the spring rate is 328 lbs / inch so 328 * 0.015" = almost 5 extra lbs. So shimming the sprinngs the max that I can shim them gets me to only 135 lbs closed -which would be fine if I were going with lighter weight beehives, but for these heavy double springs isn't going to cut it.

I'd rather go with the 0.650" max lift, higher pressure springs so they last a bit longer, too and even when the springs start to lose pressure I'm still in the safe zone.

This is theoretically my first and only engine build ever so I'd just assume do everything "by-the-book".

Adam
Old 01-09-2018, 12:33 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

So just to fully finish this up and put most of the relevant information in a single post:

My heads came with 1.440" OD dual springs, with a max lift 0.600"; 135# seat pressure; 340# open pressure.

I have an aggressive hydraulic roller cam that with my 1.6 ratio RRs will hit 0.600" of lift on the intake. My springs give me 0.075" of extra room between my max lift and spring bind. The max shim I can use to increase the spring pressure is 0.015" which will increase both the open and closed pressure of my springs to 140# closed; 345# open.

Mike Jones, my cam guy recommended the following spring rates for 6,300 RPM with standard steel retainers:
#1 Traditional Double-Spring: 155 lbs closed; 435 lbs open --The closed rate isn't terribly far off and going with lighter retainers could help at a bit and make this acceptable.

#2 Beehive Springs: 145# open; 358# open

15 lbs short on closed pressure; 100 on open pressures; I'm going to have to pull out my wallet to solve this one.

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To Springs, retainers, & keepers

Old 01-09-2018, 12:33 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Now on that front: Jegs got back to me and the spring rate is 328 lbs / inch so 328 * 0.015" = almost 5 extra lbs. So shimming the sprinngs the max that I can shim them gets me to only 135 lbs closed -which would be fine if I were going with lighter weight beehives, but for these heavy double springs isn't going to cut it.
I would tend to agree 135 on the seat is a bit low, especially considering the weight and lift intensity of the intake valve.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:30 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

#2 Beehive Springs: 145# open; 358# open

15 lbs short on closed pressure; 100 on open pressures; I'm going to have to pull out my wallet to solve this one.

Adam
What is your installed height presently? I could figure out some dual spring options and where to order along with prices for 10 degree and retainers

#2 beehive........ Beehive springs have design advantages that don't require as much spring# to control the valves compared to normal dual springs.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:35 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

I believe my installed height is 1.800"; but I don't have a spring micrometer yet to measure actual. Estimated is definitely 1.800".

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 01-09-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Springs, retainers, & keepers