C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't We All Just Get Along

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 06:57 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
Steve, I saw you recently did a few dyno pulls. Was everything OK at that time or was there some indication of problems, such as a miss or A/F ratio being off? Is that perhaps why you're poking around or is this more of a random inspection? The white being on the valve only has me mystified. Everything around it and in the next door port looks normal in color to me.
I told the guy, that did the dyno test, that I wanted it tuned for street and freeway cruising only, but he was more of a numbers guy . . . .trying to ring as much power as he could out of this engine. He also told me that I had, (more than likely) a burnt valve "Somewhere on the right bank"

5-7-6-8 exhaust valves are whitish, 1-3-2-4 exhaust valves are blackish. The tops of ALL the pistons are blackish / dark gray, with no deposits. Two compression tests reveal that the # 8 cylinder is a little lower than the rest, 150 versus about 170 for all the rest.
Right now I'm waiting for a leak down tester, so I can determine if there are any leaks anywhere.

The Holley is 100% factory right out of the box, nothing has been messed with other than the idle jets. However . . . . I did talk to a tech guy at Holley, just yesterday and he told me that all holleys are calibrated at sea level and at 70 degrees F
At 2100 feet altitude, he said that I definitely need to go to smaller main jets and "Don't change the power valve"
LOL . . . . Lots of fun on these warm rainy days, (see you next Wednesday)

Last edited by imariver; 01-06-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:36 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Steve...strange how this is showing up on half the motor (front to back), interested to know what's causing this
Old 01-06-2018, 12:00 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by imariver

The Holley is 100% factory right out of the box, nothing has been messed with other than the idle jets. However . . . . I did talk to a tech guy at Holley, just yesterday and he told me that all holleys are calibrated at sea level and at 70 degrees F
At 2100 feet altitude, he said that I definitely need to go to smaller main jets and "Don't change the power valve"
Never bolt on a carb strait from the box and just run it. It will not be tuned to what the car wants. That is a recipe for a bad experience.

Buy the $15 bolt in O2 sensor bung from FiTech and install an O2 gauge. While there are old school methods to tune such as reading plugs, and jetting for best vacuum, etc - IMO, its all a ballpark guess unless you use a O2 gauge. (ie, when I tuned for best vacuum I was waaay rich)

Holley assumes you are not bolting on to a stock engine and you have made some performance improvements such as a cam and headers, as well as they are tuned a 70 degrees at sea level. That means it will run rich for most people.

My 4165 came with a 62 primary jet, an 83 secondary jet, 25 primary squirter, a 37 secondary squirter, and a 6.5 power valve. When I bolted it on the engine ran fine overall but was very rich at idle, very rich at cruise, lean at WOT and there was a slight hesitation at transition from primary to secondary.

After some quality time with an O2 sensor I changed to an 8.5 power valve, 59 primary jet, 89 secondary jet, and a 40 secondary squirter. Also adjusted the idle circuit screws and now all is great with the world.

Friends don't let friends bolt on a Holley with tuning out of the box.
The following users liked this post:
imariver (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:44 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I have been an air cooled guy while always having V-8s and deposits in the gas burning off can give you white valves in an air cooled engine!

But generally you could have a coolant leak, but it would have to be a common source or problem! I personally think that your white valve cylinders are healthier than the others or running more proper! If it isn't a Head Gasket thing, then head has combustion chamber cracks in the white ones or guides in the darker ones are going!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-06-2018 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
imariver (01-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Can't We All Just Get Along