C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worn cam lobe... what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 07:46 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Received 354 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Worn cam lobe... what would you do?

Hey All,

I have a relatively nondescript 350 with 882 heads. The idle seems smooth enough, oil pressure is very good and so is compression at 160-165 PSI. Yet while I was setting the lash running, I noticed that #8 intake was not rocking as high as the rest. It also had the lowest compression reading at 155 PSI. At higher RPM there seems to be a vibration, but it is hard to tell...

What would you guys do with this while waiting to drop in another motivator?

Drive it as is? (It might take 10 months to 2 years before I replace it with a fresh engine)

Swap in a new cam + oil change? (EDIT + new lifters of course...)

Going through the short block seems like investing too much into something I will eventually replace...

Last edited by DorianC3; 01-18-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:05 AM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

First verify it is a worn cam and not a bent pushrod. If cam is wiped, do not operate further. Pull cam and lifters and drain oil. Thoroughly flush engine. You may save engine. Get a new cam and lifters and get rid of those 882 heads. When finished you may like it well enough that you'll forget about changing engine.
The following users liked this post:
DorianC3 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dochorsepower
First verify it is a worn cam and not a bent pushrod. If cam is wiped, do not operate further. Pull cam and lifters and drain oil. Thoroughly flush engine. You may save engine. Get a new cam and lifters and get rid of those 882 heads. When finished you may like it well enough that you'll forget about changing engine.
Thanks ! Just a quick follow up... a bent pushrod could result is a rocker not lifting fully? I had no idea ! I'll pull the valve cover this evening and check... hopefully, that is all it is !!!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:37 AM
steveweimer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any backfiring through the carb upon acceleration? Also another sign of a worn lobe.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:39 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by steveweimer
Any backfiring through the carb upon acceleration? Also another sign of a worn lobe.
No, none at all. It is quite smooth. Overall it runs quite well. Just the higher rpm feels uncomfortable. I do hear what sounds like a ticking sound with a stethoscope. I can't seem to locate it precisely.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:32 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

If you do in fact have a lobe going away, the damage has already been done. All that metal has gone through the entire engine and is embedded in the bearings. It may last a little while but it depends on how many miles and how hard it's driven. I saw your other post about performance launches.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:57 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bashcraft
If you do in fact have a lobe going away, the damage has already been done. All that metal has gone through the entire engine and is embedded in the bearings. It may last a little while but it depends on how many miles and how hard it's driven. I saw your other post about performance launches.

Yes. That was rather more theoretical. Mostly exploring how the hell one gets off the line gingerly with such a short box. ;p

Under my watch, this car has never seen 4000 rpm and rarely even sees 3000. Not until I know more about its health. That and 95% of the time I drive like a grandma.

When bringing it up in rpm at 60 mph is when I became suspicious. At 2500-3000 rpm it didn’t feel as smooth as I was expecting.

I’d agree with you on the trashed innards if a lobe went... but now I’m suspecting a bent rod. If this was a cam lobe, it should have been completely deteriorated by the time I took ownership. I doubt the seller could have gotten away with that. Tho not perfect, the operation feels too smooth

Last edited by DorianC3; 01-18-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If it is the lobe and it sounds like it is, you can roll the dice with a new cam and lifters but as stated before, that worn metal went somewhere. Hopefully in the oil filter.
DorianC3 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:15 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

stay tuned !!!!
Old 01-18-2018, 12:42 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by DorianC3

stay tuned !!!!
My experience - I lost the fuel pump lobe, completely rounded off. That is a lot of metal. Put in a new cam and ran it for years hard. I would think that metal gets into the sump where it first goes through the oil filter. Not knowing what was going on, I never opened up the oil filter, but I did change my oil quite regularly. If it's not a bent pushrod, I would suggest you drain your oil to have a look and have it analyzed. Look at the filter too. I wouldn't be afraid to change out the cam at that point and keep running, especially as how you've described your driving habits.

One last thing about a wiped lobe, I blame Mobil 1 with not enough ZDDP. This was however ten years ago.

Last edited by ignatz; 01-18-2018 at 12:47 PM.
DorianC3 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 02:06 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Interesting. These heads look like they have been rebuilt very recently. They look very clean. No wear pattern on the valve tips. The rocker studs are the screw-in type; that’s not what is supposed to be on 882 heads.
I put a vacuum gauge on the running engine and got a very stable 17 inches. With the engine running, I could see the pushrods spinning. Though #8 exhaust was spinning slightly slower.
Pushrod #8 exhaust is bent, but slightly. Spinning it in a drill one can see a slight wobble that the pushrod right next to it does not have. Nonetheless (and bear with me) I do not think this is enough to explain the lack of lift. Hmmm. I’ll have to see if I can find a dial gauge somewhere this weekend. That or I may pull the intake and eyeball the bottom of the lifter directly.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:08 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ignatz
My experience - I lost the fuel pump lobe, completely rounded off. That is a lot of metal. Put in a new cam and ran it for years hard. I would think that metal gets into the sump where it first goes through the oil filter. Not knowing what was going on, I never opened up the oil filter, but I did change my oil quite regularly. If it's not a bent pushrod, I would suggest you drain your oil to have a look and have it analyzed. Look at the filter too. I wouldn't be afraid to change out the cam at that point and keep running, especially as how you've described your driving habits.

One last thing about a wiped lobe, I blame Mobil 1 with not enough ZDDP. This was however ten years ago.
Ignatz, I may well go that direction. Hmmm
Old 01-18-2018, 02:14 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

I’d say there is 1/32 to 1/16 deflection
Old 01-18-2018, 03:37 PM
zmanabba
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know if this will help but keep in mind that if the pushrod is bent that it will flex when the engine is running and the lift will be affected. I would follow the excellent advice given here and investigate further. My advice is if the cam is going flat: replace the cam and drive the car. Even if you are going to replace the engine in the future having a car that you can't/don't want to drive will eventually turn it into a piece of garage art that you resent having to work around. I would also just put a stock cam back into it if you really intend to replace the engine. If you start to upgrade the cam you will have to upgrade other components and that is a slippery slope that we have all been down. P.S. I am a hardcore hot rodder so you should take that into consideration when I say to stay stock in this instance. LOL
DorianC3 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 03:39 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

A bent pushrod would be clacking up a storm.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:52 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zmanabba
I don't know if this will help but keep in mind that if the pushrod is bent that it will flex when the engine is running and the lift will be affected. I would follow the excellent advice given here and investigate further. My advice is if the cam is going flat: replace the cam and drive the car. Even if you are going to replace the engine in the future having a car that you can't/don't want to drive will eventually turn it into a piece of garage art that you resent having to work around. I would also just put a stock cam back into it if you really intend to replace the engine. If you start to upgrade the cam you will have to upgrade other components and that is a slippery slope that we have all been down. P.S. I am a hardcore hot rodder so you should take that into consideration when I say to stay stock in this instance. LOL
Thanks. It does help. And I agree. I’d MUUUUICH rather this be a running project. This weekend I’ll investigate further. (It’s nearly 10 pm here). If it is a wiped cam lobe, I’ll replace the cam and lifters and be done with it. This only needs to last 12-24 months... and be comfortable during that time. In the meantime I need to save up for a good crate or similar

On a 1969 ‘vette, can the cam be replaced in the car or should one pull the engine ?

How does one flush the engine as mentioned above?

Last edited by DorianC3; 01-18-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:53 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by derekderek
A bent pushrod would be clacking up a storm.
It certainly wasn’t doing that

Get notified of new replies

To Worn cam lobe... what would you do?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:59 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 797 Likes on 544 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would bet on a bad cam-get it out of there asap. However, many years ago right after I got married all I could afford was beater cars. I would pay $75 to $150 for a car with an inspection sticker and run it till it died. I bought a big 72 Pontiac 4 door , V-8 car. Cam went bad on one cylinder. Pulled the push rods and drove it for 2 more years, then off to the junkyard. It ran rough but it ran !
Old 01-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 797 Likes on 544 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Can be done in car , and just change the oil and filter.
DorianC3 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 04:11 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pop chevy
i would bet on a bad cam-get it out of there asap. However, many years ago right after i got married all i could afford was beater cars. I would pay $75 to $150 for a car with an inspection sticker and run it till it died. I bought a big 72 pontiac 4 door , v-8 car. Cam went bad on one cylinder. Pulled the push rods and drove it for 2 more years, then off to the junkyard. It ran rough but it ran !
lolololol.

Quick Reply: Worn cam lobe... what would you do?