C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Air Filter-I Bought One

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 12:21 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Re: K&N Air Filter-I Bought One

I wouldn't go so far as to say they live up to the ricer hype of 15% gains. :rolleyes: BUT they are very high quality filters, and it's the last one you'll ever buy for that car. Can't beat that. :cheers: When I put a K&N in my Stealth I immediately noticed that the idle was a little smoother and the throttle response was better. (no idea about hp or mpg)
Old 10-14-2002, 12:41 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: K&N Air Filter-I Bought One (Fevre)

That was the point I was trying to make: one cannot control all the variables. And my opinion is subjective as noted. But I do know my car very well.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:42 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: K&N Air Filter-I Bought One (wcsinx)

Better "throttle response." Those are the words I was searching for earlier.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:01 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: K&N Air Filter-I Bought One (Fevre)

I replaced my fairly new standard air filter with what looks to be the same K&N air filter that Paul has fitted (we even have the same quality control engineers :) ). I didn't notice any dramatic improvement in power but I didn't expect to. As Paul found, the throttle response feels slightly better & overall it feels "cleaner" & a bit more responsive. This is exactly the effect I was expecting as it's what happens on bikes that I fit K&N's to. If you've got a tired engine or one in need of a service then you probably wouldn't notice any difference.
As for dirt/dust getting through the filter: I've pulled the top ends off of bike engines that have been run without air filters for 2 or 3 thousand miles & found bad scoring on the piston skirts, particularly on the intake side & also damage to the carb slides. I don't find this scoring (due to dirt) on bikes that have been run with K&N's fitted. I've currently got the piston out of an engine next to me that has done over 30 000 miles with K&N filters fitted & the skirt has not the slightest hint of scoring & the bore + carb & throttle slide is in good condition as well. If K&N filters do pass dirt/dust then I'd expect to see at least some evidence of damage after 30 000miles . :yesnod:
I mainly fit K&N filters for the "fit & forget" aspect ie. with a 20 or 30 year old vehicle there's enough stuff that needs checking/doing as it is, so anything to reduce maintainance chores is fine by me :)
:cheers:
Old 10-14-2002, 01:19 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: K&N Air Filter-I Bought One (UKPaul)

Ive got both the factory size KN filter for my stock 73 cowl induction cleaner + the KN extreem lid. I would not say that they "add" power. But they do allow your engine to breath what it needs to make the best power it can.

[Modified by Jvette73, 11:19 AM 10/14/2002]
Old 10-14-2002, 01:34 PM
DCShark
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: K&N Air Filter-I Bought One (paul79)

Paul
I put one in two years ago and I had the same feelings about the filter. Better throttle response and smother idle. I think it freed up a few extra ponies.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter-I Bought One