C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood BB System...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 02:24 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Wilwood BB System...

I spoke with tech at Wilwood and I asked about their 14" rotor 6R BB kit...specifically the lack of piston area. The tech was very informative and stated that there are larger bore calipers that will work with the rotors/mounts but won't work on our cars unless heavily modified. Master cylinder issues and unbalanced with stock rear brakes. He stated that this system is the largest and most effective for stock rear brakes and a stock sized MC. Accordingly, they sold a larger bore caliper to another C3 owner at one time and the owner was dissatisfied as the brakes were too touchy and locked up too easily! Anyways, the Wilwood 13"/14" systems are designed around the C3s weight and stock braking system. I was impressed by his knowledge and overall customer service.

Their 14" 6R system seems like the best bang for the buck at $1,700.
Comments?

Thanks!
B-R
Old 02-27-2018, 06:19 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Are you running R compound or full racing tires to take advantage of the 14" rotors? If not, why not just get a set of Wilwood factory replacements aluminum calipers and stock size rotors. Factory configuration is big enough for pure street tires, cost less, and less unsprung mass too. Just a thought.

The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 02:54 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,699 Likes on 2,938 Posts

I talked at length with Willwood service reps who all steered me away from their big rotor kits for street and spirited driving use and recommended their 6 piston D8-6 calipers with 11.75 Promatrix rotors for the front and 4 piston D8-4 calipers and 11.75 Promatrix rotors for the rear.
Once my motor is in the car they will recommend which master cylinder will work best with the vacuum I'm making in the motor.
They said their big rotor kits are great for track use but really a waste of money on the street.
There is plenty of room in my 17" wheels and even though they are tight, would have clearance in the stock ralley wheels.
The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 07:25 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I have the big front wildwood big piston area, stock master cy, and stock rear calipers with carbon metallic pads. Motul RBF 660 Pro Racing Brake Fluid and bleed it till clear often. Very well balanced with my pad choices on the front. You need to look at the pad TQ graphs. You want nearly linear pads in the heat ranges that it will see on the front

Touchy brakes can be two things. Poor pad choice and or lack of tire traction to use high end braking systems.

I've never had lockup problems, but I understand how to late brake in a straight line and lift somewhat on the turn in. You will see light puff of smoke off the front end inside tire if you are over aggressive
Old 02-27-2018, 08:02 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Appears the often mistaken piston quantity for piston are miss understanding. All the Wilwood kits in the basic design mirror oe spec piston area. You can do that with one, two, four, six or more pistons. That's quantity..not area.

Clamping is based on area. As too is displacement and bias. Too much area results in a long soft pedal (however greater force for equal pressure) and bias that goes out of whack quick.

You can run small area front and rear calipes with small are masters...or run larger area front and rear calipers with larger bore masters. It's the same thing. Where this goes wrong is miss matching of the calipers to one end or the other and to the master size in use.

You can sub parts and pieces to a degree and get desired results but you should understand the why's an how's of things before making such changes.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:26 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I just put some D8-4s on the front of my '81. I liked the looks and the fact that they have o-ring seals. I decided to upgrade from the factory lip seal design which were on my car.

I later found out that the runout of both rotors were out of spec. This was almost certainly the cause of my brake problems.

Glad I put the Wilwood calipers on now. I really honed in on the disc runout problem. New rotors and the calipers freed up some weight. These are quality pieces. They bled easily and quickly.

I'm eventually going to add the rear Wilwood kit. But these things are quite pricy as you know.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:18 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Great input on brake balancing with proper pad selection. I think if I am going to spend the $$ I want the largest caliper/rotor clamping force I can fit inside 18" wheels and will deal with the rear as needed. A proportioning valve may be necessary as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood BB System...

Quick Reply: Wilwood BB System...