C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trickle Charging a Completely Dead Battery?

Old 03-04-2018, 11:11 AM
glroland
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trickle Charging a Completely Dead Battery?

Is that possible? My battery was completely dead yesterday and plugged in the trickle charger. Started getting some basic life back via engine light coming on and very weak door light bulbs. However, after sitting overnight, its basically in the exact same state (dim lights, engine won't turn over, etc). Should I just wait longer or should I get a new battery?

I was working around the disty yesterday so its possible I was too rough around the wiring there as well.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2018, 11:16 AM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Do you have a regular battery charger? If so use that. It will start out putting high amps in and settle down as it gets close to full charge. Trickle is to replenish overnight a good battery. How old is battery. A shop that sells can load test although it will need somewhat of a charge. It just went dead after working on distributor? You could have a short but would need a meter to determine that
The following users liked this post:
glroland (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 11:25 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,111 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I have had trickle chargers take three days, non-stop. Have patience. But every time you open a door, turn on the key, turn on the lights, etc, you are not helping the situation. If all else, you could disconnect the ground if you have to work on something and still charge it.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:41 AM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

What kind of battery....regular, or AGM? What was the voltage?......low, or completely dead (zero)?........dead cell?..

Low AGMs can be revived (slowly).....dead cell batteries, no.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:21 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by glroland
Is that possible? My battery was completely dead yesterday and plugged in the trickle charger. Started getting some basic life back via engine light coming on and very weak door light bulbs. However, after sitting overnight, its basically in the exact same state (dim lights, engine won't turn over, etc). Should I just wait longer or should I get a new battery?

I was working around the disty yesterday so its possible I was too rough around the wiring there as well.

Thanks!
I use a PulseTech Xtreme charger. It is not only trickle (2-battery, 2.5 amps per battery or 5amps combined for one battery). It is great for desulfating a dead battery. I gave my larger batteries 1-2 weeks (8D - bus batteries) on the pulsetech.

As long as your battery is not shorted out, it will recover a charge but it may not recover fully with a static voltage charger. Static voltage trickle charger will not refresh a battery as much as a pulse charger/desulfator.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:44 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

I have a few Schumacher trickle chargers. They work great as long as there is enough water in each cell. If I am low water on one cell I get error code on the charger and it shuts down. Worth a check.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

Put a volt meter on it. a dead but otherwise good battery will read 10.5 volts (lead acid). If it reads less than 10.5 volts then a cell has shorted and it will not come back.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 03-04-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:16 PM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 270 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C3 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

I had a dead flat battery that wouldn't charge so got on to google and the best way was hook it up to another charged battery with jumper leads positive to positive negative to negative and if the battery is ok it will take some of the charge .I gave it a hour and then you should be able to finish charging it properly .The chargers need some voltage to tell it to charge .Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Trickle Charging a Completely Dead Battery?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trickle Charging a Completely Dead Battery?