C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Distributor and Replacing with Electronic Dual Sync/ Single Sync

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:42 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Removing Distributor and Replacing with Electronic Dual Sync/ Single Sync

Help!

I still don't really feel like I have a full understanding of distributors or ignition timing, so I just want to understand what I SHOULD do when removing my current distributor, switching over to my FIRST intake, and installing my new Vortec-style electronic cam sensor "distributor".

Should I mark the current position of my distributor somehow or does it not matter and I just use some sort of reference marks when installing the new distributor/ cam sensor?

Adam
Old 03-12-2018, 02:58 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

If I were going to convert to a fully electronic ignition system, I'd go with a distributorless setup. There are a few choices available. MSD has one, and Electramotive has one. There's also a kit from Holley that uses the LSx engine trigger wheel and sensor.

Vortec dizzies are persnickety and there's no way I'd trade a mechanical dizzy for a Vortec setup, even if there was an easy kit for the electronics. BTW, Vortec engines trigger ignition from the crank position sensor, not the cam position sensor in the dizzy.

It will be far easier for you to learn how your existing system works (first) and debug and fully tune that. There's a whole lot of work involved in switching out to a distributorless system or a crank fire system that uses a distributor like the Vortec system. If you don't understand your current system, there's little chance of learning the newer technology because you really, really need to know how the mechanical system works to understand what your doing when you replace it.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:08 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X

If I were going to convert to a fully electronic ignition system, I'd go with a distributorless setup. There are a few choices available. MSD has one, and Electramotive has one. There's also a kit from Holley that uses the LSx engine trigger wheel and sensor.

Vortec dizzies are persnickety and there's no way I'd trade a mechanical dizzy for a Vortec setup, even if there was an easy kit for the electronics. BTW, Vortec engines trigger ignition from the crank position sensor, not the cam position sensor in the dizzy.

It will be far easier for you to learn how your existing system works (first) and debug and fully tune that. There's a whole lot of work involved in switching out to a distributorless system or a crank fire system that uses a distributor like the Vortec system. If you don't understand your current system, there's little chance of learning the newer technology because you really, really need to know how the mechanical system works to understand what your doing when you replace it.
That's exactly what I'm doing.

I went with the Holley HP TPI / Stealth RAM EFI kit, 60-2 crank trigger, coil near plug harness, LS truck coil packs, and then for the cam sync sensor I'm using the "1x Cam Sync Distributor" from EFIConnection.com, which I'm told is a Vortec -style unit with a blank cap on it.
https://www.eficonnection.com/home/p...nd-bbc-engines

My question is not on "what do buy" as I've already purchased everything. My question is on recommendations on how to actually do the swaps and not have the initial timing totally screwed up.

Have any responses to my question?

Adam
Old 03-12-2018, 03:10 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

turn engine until timing mark is at top dead center and the rotor is pointing to the number 1 spark wire.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:34 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

I think the instructions for that kit are pretty good. You do need to set the engine at TDC for #1 cylinder. Turn the crank clockwise and line up the marks. Then trace the plug wire for the #1 spark plug back to the dizzy. Take the dizzy cap of and make sure the rotor is pointed at the post for the #1 cylinder. If it's pointed at the post for #6 cylinder, you need to turn the engine one full turn clockwise at the crank. That will line it up with #1 TDC and firing at the dizzy.

Other than that, the instructions look pretty straight forward. You will need spacers for anything belt driven on the engine. The kit only includes a spacer for the water pump pulley. Every other pulley also needs to be relocated forward by 1/8 inch for that kit to work.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:53 PM
danc24
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got the identical setup only with a BBC. Holley 60-2 crank trigger and the EFI Connections cam sync.

Since the crank rotates twice for every cam revolution, there needs to be a way to let the computer know when you are on the compression stroke. That's what the cam sync is for.

Setting up the cam sync is simple, especially if your balancer has timing marks every 90-degrees. I move the crank to TDC on #1 on the compression stroke. make sure you are on the compression and not the exhaust stroke. Then just rotate the engine backwards 180 degrees. You can actually go anywhere from 120-210? degrees before TDC, but 180 seems to be a safe number and easy to determine with the balancer timing marks.

Once the engine's set to 180 degrees before TDC on the compression stroke, drop the cam sync in and set the shudder right where digital falling would occur.

Last edited by danc24; 03-12-2018 at 03:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:53 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by calwldlife
turn engine until timing mark is at top dead center and the rotor is pointing to the number 1 spark wire.
I am a newb; I don't understand what "the rotor is pointing" means; is there literally an arrow on the distributor that you just aim at cylinder #1 when it's at top dead center? (reminder: I won't have spark plug wires coming out of the "distributor" because it's just a crank signal pickup.)

Adam
Old 03-12-2018, 03:56 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

You do need to set the engine at TDC for #1 cylinder. Turn the crank clockwise and line up the marks. Then trace the plug wire for the #1 spark plug back to the dizzy.
It's not actually a distributor; just a cam sync signal; there will be no wires coming off of the "distributor" to any spark plugs. There's just a 3 prong plug that goes to the EFI ECU.

Take the dizzy cap of and make sure the rotor is pointed at the post for the #1 cylinder. If it's pointed at the post for #6 cylinder, you need to turn the engine one full turn clockwise at the crank. That will line it up with #1 TDC and firing at the dizzy.

I don't understand what "point it" actually means; it's round...

Other than that, the instructions look pretty straight forward. You will need spacers for anything belt driven on the engine. The kit only includes a spacer for the water pump pulley. Every other pulley also needs to be relocated forward by 1/8 inch for that kit to work.
Thanks for the reminder I have the spacers figured out (1/8" thick washers).

Adam
Old 03-12-2018, 03:58 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '22

google
https://www.google.com/search?q=dist...iw=838&bih=558
Old 03-12-2018, 04:13 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '22

you need to understand that spark timing
needs to happen on what is called compression stroke of 4 cycle engine.
this stroke is done by piston and valves position.

num 1 is where it all starts,
putting engine in that position allows setting the spark timing regardless of whether a distributor or magneto.

before any removal, setting, adjustments the engine needs to be at top dead center compression stroke.

once you have the engine there, work can be done.

you need to read, understand this.

Last edited by calwldlife; 03-12-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:16 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Is the original distributor still on the engine? Or have you removed it already?
Old 03-12-2018, 04:22 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Is the original distributor still on the engine? Or have you removed it already?
Still on the engine, but I think the current base timing is pretty retarded...

Adam
Old 03-12-2018, 04:23 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

I clicked the link; not useful, much like your comment.

Adam
Old 03-12-2018, 04:26 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '22

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
I clicked the link; not useful, much like your comment.

Adam
glad you think so.
you are over your head.
good luck, you will need it.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:57 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Still on the engine, but I think the current base timing is pretty retarded...

Adam
If it runs, it's close enough.

You're needing help with the whole "Turn the engine to position cylinder #1 at TDC at end of compression stroke," I'm guessing.

Here it is in a nutshell.

First, turn the crankshaft (clockwise only) until you line up the timing mark on the harmonic balancer with the "0" mark on the timing chain cover. These are the marks you shoot the timing light at when you're timing the engine. Start with those marks aligned.

Now, follow the wire from the number #1 spark plug back to the dizzy. It's been a while since I had a 1970's chevrolet in my shop, but I think it will go to one of the front posts on the dizzy, slightly to the right (passenger) side. Whichever post it goes to, that's the #1 post on the dizzy. You can put a piece of masking tape or something on top of that wire to mark it for reference.

Lift the distributor cap (loosen all the screws). Under the cap there will be a rotor that looks like this:

The part in the red circle should be directly under the post for the #1 spark plug wire. If it's on the opposite side of the distributor, you're one full turn off on the crankshaft. Turn the crankshaft clockwise another 360 degrees and line up the marks again. That should put the end in the circle under the #1 spark plug wire post.

That's about all there is to it. That positions the engine with cylinder #1 at TDC, and you can go forward from there.

There is a way to align the cam position sensor in it's little dizzy frame that bolts in where the distributor was. The instructions should tell you how to do that properly.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:04 PM
danc24
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

He's running a DIS (distributorless ignition system). There is no distributor or rotor. The cam sync drops in place of the distributor to drive the oil pump.

Adam, see my first post in this thread. It explains what you need to do. This thread on Holley's website does a good job explaining it as well
Old 03-12-2018, 06:02 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by danc24
He's running a DIS (distributorless ignition system). There is no distributor or rotor. The cam sync drops in place of the distributor to drive the oil pump.

Adam, see my first post in this thread. It explains what you need to do. This thread on Holley's website does a good job explaining it as well
Awesome. Thanks for both replies. Exactly what I needed. I won't worry about marking the position of the old distributor when I take it out.

I've got one of the el-cheapo top dead center finders that screws into the spark plug hole so I think I can do it off of your instructions and the Holley Forum thread helps (although obviously the old photobucket photos are all gone).

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Distributor and Replacing with Electronic Dual Sync/ Single Sync

Old 03-12-2018, 06:05 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

glad you think so.
you are over your head.
good luck, you will need it.
I totally am over my head and I probably will need it.

If nothing else I'll end up with a funny YouTube video or three.

Adam
Old 03-12-2018, 06:43 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '22

a piston stop won't tell you if the cam is 180 deg out.
start your change with a proven
engine position.
num 1 firing is what you want.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:46 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Awesome. Thanks for both replies. Exactly what I needed. I won't worry about marking the position of the old distributor when I take it out.

I've got one of the el-cheapo top dead center finders that screws into the spark plug hole so I think I can do it off of your instructions and the Holley Forum thread helps (although obviously the old photobucket photos are all gone).

Adam
You would be wise to read my earlier post. The piston one #1 comes to TDC twice per revolution of the cam shaft (and the distributor). One TDC is the correct position, the other TDC is absolutely the incorrect position.

There's a reason the instructions tell you to position it at TDC on the compression stroke to start this installation. If you put it at TDC on the exhaust stroke, the thing won't start when you finish.

If you pull the distributor out, the other way to determine the correct TDC position is with one of the valve covers removed. The temptation is to remove the left side cover and watch the rockers for cylinder #1, but the easiest way is to remove the right side cover and watch the rockers for cylinder #6.

Oh, and the photobucket photos usually show if you click the broken images and go through to photobucket. The images are still there, they just won't display on other websites.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 03-12-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing Distributor and Replacing with Electronic Dual Sync/ Single Sync