C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaving a loose speedo driven gear in the tail shaft housing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:17 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts
Default leaving a loose speedo driven gear in the tail shaft housing

Why I'm asking should be obvious. Why I don't just pull the tail shaft housing is explained in this this post - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-a-th350.html

Suffice it to say Chevy didn't do us any favors when they changed the the cross member design in 1980.

I am looking for actual experience with leaving a loose driven gear in there. Has anyone done it or known directly someone who did and, if so, what was the result? Thanks,
Old 04-05-2018, 08:44 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

You did that too? I left mine in for a few days until I fished it out with a dowel, piece of wire, chewing gum, you know, the MacGyver tools. They say it won't hurt anything but I still wanted to fix it correctly.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 04-06-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:04 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
You did that too? I left mine in for a few days until I fished it out with a dowel, piece of wire, chewing gum, you know, the McGuyver tools. They say it won't hurt anything but I still wanted to fix it correctly.
I'd prefer it out also, but I've fished for a couple hours without luck. I considered the something sticky route but figured with my luck I'd end up with a piece of gum in there too. I have lined up a scope to look inside. I think if I can at least see it I might have a good chance to fish it. But once the rear end comes back and the composite spring is delivered It's going back together regardless of where the gear is .

Last edited by vince vette 2; 04-05-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:26 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

As I recall, I had the rear tires up on ramps. The speedo gear kept sliding into the deepest part of the tailshaft housing, making it impossible to recover. Then I put the front end on ramps. Seemed to help confine the little turd to the rear where I got a hold of it with those $3 claw tools. Had a hell of a time and eased the gear, ever so carefully, out of the hole, whew! (Took multiple attempts)

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 04-05-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:15 PM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
As I recall, I had the rear tires up on ramps. The speedo gear kept sliding into the deepest part of the tailshaft housing, making it impossible to recover. Then I put the front end on ramps. Seemed to help confine the little turd to the rear where I got a hold of it with those $3 claw tools. Had a hell of a time and eased the gear, ever so carefully, out of the hole, whew! (Took multiple attempts)
What really irks me is that when it first slid out the shaft was right there at the edges of the hole but dropped in the instant I touched it. So a grabbed a paper clip and straightened most of it out thinking this will never work. But on the first try it hooked it and pulled it so the shaft was was 1/8" out. I should have then thought it through, but it was so easy to get I figured I'd have lot's of chances as it seemed like it must be contained. So I reached up to get it and same thing, in it went. And that was that. I suspect it was originally hung up by the shaft but on the second drop got by it and and slid to the front like you suspect happened on yours. So I guess once all the rear suspension is back in if I still dont have it I can jack the front up and tap around a little. I might know more Sunday after i hopefully get to scope it.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Not gonna hurt a thing to leave it, but it's your choice.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:23 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
Not gonna hurt a thing to leave it, but it's your choice.
I'm leaning that way unless someone knows of an instance where one caused a problem. I'll be borrowing a fiber optic scope late on Sunday. So sometime next week I'll see if I can figure out exactly where it is and find out if that helps me get it. But if not, then I'll let the chips fall where they may since I plan to swap our the tranny next winter.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:07 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It can't hurt much except possibly the speedometer gear on the shaft and the new driven gear if it happens to get back there into them.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:45 PM
flyguy767
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you not want to just drop the pan to get it out? I know you will need to replace the fluid, but at least you'll know the gear wont be in there to screw anything up.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:19 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by flyguy767
Do you not want to just drop the pan to get it out? I know you will need to replace the fluid, but at least you'll know the gear wont be in there to screw anything up.
It doesn't come out that way. Two different chambers / casings.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 04-06-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:22 PM
flyguy767
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh! Crap
Old 04-06-2018, 10:12 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

I'm glad I'm not the only guy who's done that. It was over twenty years ago, and as I recall it took me a full day to fish it out, but I did get it. I still break out in a cold sweat thinking about it. If I knew it wouldn't do any harm, I probably would have given up.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:11 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
It can't hurt much except possibly the speedometer gear on the shaft and the new driven gear if it happens to get back there into them.
That's my primary concern. Right now I think it is likely sitting up on the shaft next to the drive gear given the angle it was at when I last saw shaft sticking out. I could rotate the shaft but if it is there it may be best to leave it as it is close. If it drops it will likely go all the way forward as the housing slopes that way and the rear of the car is jacked up for the suspension rebuild.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:13 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Originally Posted by vince vette 2
That's my primary concern. Right now I think it is likely sitting up on the shaft next to the drive gear given the angle it was at when I last saw shaft sticking out. I could rotate the shaft but if it is there it may be best to leave it as it is close. If it drops it will likely go all the way forward as the housing slopes that way and the rear of the car is jacked up for the suspension rebuild.
Just do an online search and you'll find we are not alone. I have found one entry stating they left it in there and ran several tens of thousands of miles without incident and had forgotten about it until coming across a post like mine asking about options.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:18 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by vince vette 2
Why I'm asking should be obvious. Why I don't just pull the tail shaft housing is explained in this this post - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-a-th350.html

Suffice it to say Chevy didn't do us any favors when they changed the the cross member design in 1980.

I am looking for actual experience with leaving a loose driven gear in there. Has anyone done it or known directly someone who did and, if so, what was the result? Thanks,
I feel your pain. I droppe4d one in the tranny about three years ago and it has been in there since. Have put about 12,000 miles on it since then with no problems.
The following users liked this post:
vince vette 2 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 11:59 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Originally Posted by red topless gator
I feel your pain. I droppe4d one in the tranny about three years ago and it has been in there since. Have put about 12,000 miles on it since then with no problems.
Good to hear. I now have fiber optic scope to hunt for it. The little SOB either comes out in a couple days or stays in until winter when I plan to put a 200-4R in. I already have a replacement gear on the way just in case. I was at $97.30 on a Summit Racing order and needed $1.70 for free shipping. The gear was $6.97. I don't know what shipping was going to be. But given that Summit wanted $12 shipping just for the gear when I first was looking, I'm sure it saved me more than that for all the suspension bushings I ordered. Maybe dropping the first one in was karma.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:10 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

I look at it this way " Ill always have a spare if I need it".

Get notified of new replies

To leaving a loose speedo driven gear in the tail shaft housing

Old 04-10-2018, 09:51 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Originally Posted by red topless gator
I look at it this way " Ill always have a spare if I need it".
That's a fact.

I did see the little bugger last night through an endoscope hooked to a cell phone. He looked happy in there. I have some idea where it is now though that helped none at all getting it out last night.

My rebuilt rear end arrived yesterday. I pretty much have everything to start reassembly. So while I'm under there I'll just keep the fishing tools close and try my luck now and then. If I get it, great, but once all the parts are in, if it's in there I hope he likes it when the fluid rolls back in.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:50 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Plastic sinks in water, so it won't float in tranny fluid. The only other plastic in there is the 2 speedo gears. And I doubt the loose gear is gonna foul them. And if it does, you still get home, just have to guess your speed by the tach.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:00 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

There is not enough fluid in the tailshaft housing worth mentioning. Hence, when you pulled the speedo bullet out, you got maybe three drops?

Quick Reply: leaving a loose speedo driven gear in the tail shaft housing