C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric radiator fan question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 01:19 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

This reminds me of the customers with C4's that would bring me in the smaller pulleys that were offered/sold to put on their engine. And when the engine was running at idle...it was not charging well at all...but when you increased the RPM's...it did fine.

DUB
When I was pouring $$$$ into my RX-7 some of my fellow RX-7 owners installed those underdrive pulleys and then wondered why their engines kept overheating. It did not dawn on them their water pumps were turning slower. But- those anodized blue and red pulleys sure were purty! RA
Old 05-16-2018, 02:24 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

LOL, Saying the person telling you the amps balance somehow is a person who has no clue isn't insulting, it's just pointing out the fact that they have no clue about the subject and are giving completely bad advice and should not be listened to. It's doubly sad to now hear that such nonsense is coming for a technician.

I guess technicians don't learn the simple thinks like Kirchhoff current law anymore - the sum of currents flowing into a node is equal to the sum of currents flowing out of that node. Node = gauge in this case.

The alternator charges by making the voltage at the alternator higher than the voltage at the battery. With the voltage at the alternator higher than the battery, the current flows towards the battery. Changing the gauge of wire won't make the alternator voltage lower than the battery voltage or cause the current to reverse directions.

Showing the same as before means nothing when you changed where the fan gets it's power. That change completely changes what the gauge should show. Since the pump and fan are powered from the battery, the ammeter should show the alternator current that is running the fan and pump and plus the current that is charging the battery. It should NOT just show the current that is charging or discharging the battery. But whatever, it's already obvious that you're ignoring the fact that your new pump and fan wiring means that a true 1-2A on the ammeter with the fan running means the battery is being discharged by about 15A. Probably due to more bad advice from the technician on this too....

Last edited by lionelhutz; 05-16-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:43 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Quick Reply: electric radiator fan question