C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horsepower Estimates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:04 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
I know guys like to get HP numbers, but I prefer 1/4 mile MPH This shows how everything is working. Its also more fun for the driver.

I use Max MPH instead of 1/4mile time because time requires perfect launch as MPH is not as dependent to perfect launch. (no wheel spin to get similar MPH)

Did you every get your car to the track ?
No I have not since I cannot seem to find time when I am not traveling for my work to really do much these days. I barely have time to just drive my cars

Based on Joe's numbers and build, I think I am fairly certain that the 425+ Gross HP number is very realistic but agree that track numbers are the only way to be confident in the numbers. Considering that Joe has less cam lift, with the Dart heads (which are great heads), and 9.7 compression with 1 5/8 inch headers and made 394 Gross HP and 413 gross torque and 326 RWHP/363 Gross TQ, I feel my 355 with CNC AFR's, 10.2 compression, .525 lift roller cam and 1 7/8 inch LTH headers should comfortable be @ 425+ Gross HP/ 440 Gross TQ and I have always guessed about 350-360 RWHP on a dyno, which is also spot on from my builder's guess based on his in shop dyno and his vast experience building motors and dynoing others as well.

My engine like Joe's was built for max mid range torque between 2,000-4,500 RPM (and it does BIG time) and pulls hard all the way to 6,000 RPM. The Howards roller cam operating range is 1,500-5,600 RPM and like joe's, I don't need to rev past 5,800 RPM...it's really perfectly sweet for a street engine with a 4 speed and 3.70 gears.

BTW Joe with the AFR's and 10.2 compression running 32 degrees total timing, my engine shows zero detonation on 89 octane which is what I use.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 05-20-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:15 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Interesting. I’ve been running 91non-ethanol and figured I can safely run 89 if I’m out and get in a pinch. Maybe it would even like 89.

The AFRs and Blueprint heads will be nice. I am running SHPs from Dart but never again. They perform fine, and I had a great past experience with iron Sportsman’s. With these I had pushrod clearance issues out of the box and spent hours cutting guideplates into individuals to align each rocker and lifter.. it was total BS. I had a connection to save several hundred on my heads and several hundred on my cam kit, so went Dart. If I did it over I’d go AFR or Blueprint or even a catalog aluminum head. Porting would have been nice, but a guy had to draw the line somewhere... I still had the entire back half to go thru after the motor was done.

Quick Reply: Horsepower Estimates?