C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling issues on uneven roads

Old 05-29-2018, 10:55 PM
jwc1955
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handling issues on uneven roads

Hello All
I have been experiencing some handling issues on some of the local roads that are less than smooth. The roads in question are tar and chip and i find my 79 darts and bolts let or right depending on the road. The car handles fine on regular highways. It has the 25560R15 tires and I wondered if the wide tire tends to follow imperfections in the road surface.I'm thinking, and hoping, that a wheel alignment will correct the problem. Is the anything special about aligning the corvette or is it something any decent alignment shop can handle. Any advantage in have a GM dealer do the alignment.
Thanks in advance
Jim
Old 05-30-2018, 12:07 AM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Alignment will probably help. Try to find someone who is familiar with c3 vettes. Front end shims like any car but rear end needs corvette specific shims for the trailing arms. I run the same tire and don't have trouble with wandering. I do run a Borgeson box and my front end has about 4° positive castor.
Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
jwc1955 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 09:09 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

You probably have worn suspension parts. The alignment shop won't do an alignment if parts are worn. Alignments aren't hard to do on C3's but the rear is a bit more labour intensive for doing the toe and a lot more labour intensive if the trailing arm bushings need replacement. If you can do your own work you can save a lot of $$$ on labour. There is no advantage to getting it done at a GM dealer.

Last edited by resdoggie; 05-30-2018 at 09:10 AM.
jwc1955 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 11:49 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

You mention your tire size 255/60s. Did you recently change tire size and has the handling issue arisen since?

Last edited by revitup; 05-30-2018 at 05:11 PM.
jwc1955 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 12:51 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

rear suspension issues especially shot half shafts mushroom ends really screwed with me like that....Also how is the drag link is it worn?
jwc1955 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 03:31 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,111 Likes on 1,622 Posts

You might as well figure all eight bushings on the control arms are shot, as are the ball joints and likely the idler arm are still original. Which means rotted rubber, sloppy tolerances and too much play in the wheel.
jwc1955 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 03:36 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

and if the rear wheels can move around they will introduce rear steer as they find their own path
jwc1955 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 04:19 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

The C3 front end is standard GM design used on other GM cars...just need to make sure you do not any worn components.

The rear is more complicated and unique to GM cars in that the half shafts/ujoints are a part of the 4 link rear suspension and if worn will cause rear steering.In addition, the strut rods control camber and worn bushings will induce rear steer AND the trailing arm bushings if worn will cause havoc, not to mention worn rear wheel bearings. There is much in the rear that can upset the handling if the components are not in tip top shape....

Last edited by jb78L-82; 05-30-2018 at 04:20 PM.
jwc1955 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 04:51 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 448 Likes on 349 Posts

Tire pressure?
jwc1955 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:04 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Can you tell if it is front or back? Or both?

Is it pulling to one side or the other, when it does this?

I actually would recommend getting the base line settings for your current toe, castor and camber, before you adjust anything!

If you are in the good spec range, and it is still ill handling, then alignment to those same general specs aint going to get you anywhere, except more of the same.

If you change all kinds of stuff new, and then are still in the same spec range, you might still have the same problem.

Generally it is wise to stretch out the castor a little more, the wider your tires get. Also matched camber is important. As if one tire is riding more up on edge, vice the other tire, then that could lead to what you describe.
For toe, I personally for street operation, recommend what is best for the way you drive. Some guys like a lot of self straightening toe, coming out of a turn to a straight-away. Sometimes the spin back or recovery can be too quick. My style is to turn it in and then turn it back out of the turns, but that isn't generally recommended or within the street specs by any alignment recommendations. The manufacturers generally set toe, so the steering comes back automatically to straight. If you have too much toe, then the front tires can be crapping somewhat, and that is why the very narrow range of toe recommendations (1/16-3/16 lets say). Once you get out to say 1/4, then you are going to be wearing out your tires, and crabbing some and the steering will self center faster than you really like, unless you love hands off wheel return spinning. Thus excessive too can cause ill handling. If one tire is too toed, then they are trying to go in direct directions. Therefore to check toe, I recommend a turn to the left and then straighten to see how the recovery is in both directions, to know that you have equal setting, without fancy instruments and gauges.

Thus what we are looking for, by getting the current baseline alignment is a judgment on equality side by side, and whether you have an excessive or incorrect alignment on one or more tires. And the alignment could be affected too, as one member said above, by some bad components. Too much deflection, or the ball joints are shot.

I do think you do have some worn components, just because of your describing good handling in general freeway driving, and ill elsewhere. If the castor, camber or toe was totally bad, you would be getting symptoms also on the highway. Worn components are never as apparent on smooth and straight roads.

And the guy ahead of me, mentioned tire pressure, before I could recommend checking that!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-30-2018 at 05:05 PM.
jwc1955 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 07:42 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

get your car up and go to the back...pull on the rear wheel at 3 and 9, and 6 and 12, and in and out....

the goal is no movement....if it comes in and out then that's one of the causes of dartiness

Last edited by bobs77vet; 05-31-2018 at 09:09 AM.
jwc1955 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 08:18 PM
jwc1955
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by resdoggie
You probably have worn suspension parts. The alignment shop won't do an alignment if parts are worn. Alignments aren't hard to do on C3's but the rear is a bit more labour intensive for doing the toe and a lot more labour intensive if the trailing arm bushings need replacement. If you can do your own work you can save a lot of $$$ on labour. There is no advantage to getting it done at a GM dealer.
No doubt there will be some wear, but the car just recently was certified mechanically. \\\\\the mechanic who did the mechanical fitness did mention that a new rear spring and struts and bushings had been recently replaced.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:20 PM
jwc1955
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by revitup
You mention your tire size 255/60s. Did you recently change tire size and has the handling issue arisen since?
No, the tires were on it when purchased, I just thought that maybe the wide tire was following the road surface imperfections.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:22 PM
jwc1955
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
rear suspension issues especially shot half shafts mushroom ends really screwed with me like that....Also how is the drag link is it worn?
I'll check for obvious wear but the car was just recently certified mechanically.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:26 PM
jwc1955
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Sayfoo
Tire pressure?
all 4 tire were at 30 psi
Old 05-30-2018, 08:36 PM
jwc1955
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Can you tell if it is front or back? Or both?

Is it pulling to one side or the other, when it does this?

I actually would recommend getting the base line settings for your current toe, castor and camber, before you adjust anything!

If you are in the good spec range, and it is still ill handling, then alignment to those same general specs aint going to get you anywhere, except more of the same.

If you change all kinds of stuff new, and then are still in the same spec range, you might still have the same problem.

Generally it is wise to stretch out the castor a little more, the wider your tires get. Also matched camber is important. As if one tire is riding more up on edge, vice the other tire, then that could lead to what you describe.
For toe, I personally for street operation, recommend what is best for the way you drive. Some guys like a lot of self straightening toe, coming out of a turn to a straight-away. Sometimes the spin back or recovery can be too quick. My style is to turn it in and then turn it back out of the turns, but that isn't generally recommended or within the street specs by any alignment recommendations. The manufacturers generally set toe, so the steering comes back automatically to straight. If you have too much toe, then the front tires can be crapping somewhat, and that is why the very narrow range of toe recommendations (1/16-3/16 lets say). Once you get out to say 1/4, then you are going to be wearing out your tires, and crabbing some and the steering will self center faster than you really like, unless you love hands off wheel return spinning. Thus excessive too can cause ill handling. If one tire is too toed, then they are trying to go in direct directions. Therefore to check toe, I recommend a turn to the left and then straighten to see how the recovery is in both directions, to know that you have equal setting, without fancy instruments and gauges.

Thus what we are looking for, by getting the current baseline alignment is a judgment on equality side by side, and whether you have an excessive or incorrect alignment on one or more tires. And the alignment could be affected too, as one member said above, by some bad components. Too much deflection, or the ball joints are shot.

I do think you do have some worn components, just because of your describing good handling in general freeway driving, and ill elsewhere. If the castor, camber or toe was totally bad, you would be getting symptoms also on the highway. Worn components are never as apparent on smooth and straight roads.

And the guy ahead of me, mentioned tire pressure, before I could recommend checking that!
Great advice...I will do thorough road test
Old 05-30-2018, 08:37 PM
jwc1955
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
get your car up and go the back...pull at 3 and 9, and 6 and 12, and in and out....

the goal is no movement....if it comes in and out then that's one of the causes of dartiness
I will try that and see if there is any movement.

Get notified of new replies

To Handling issues on uneven roads

Old 05-30-2018, 10:57 PM
jwc1955
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all the input guys. I will check all the obvious and not so obvious. Being a first time vette owner I didn't know what to expect in he handling department but I knew that it should be better than it is.The car is an original 89,000 kilometre garage queen that I bought from the original owner. He did maintain the vehicle pretty well over the last 39 years and had just replaced the rear spring when i bought it. I will follow everyones suggestions and see what I find. If I don't find anything obvious, I will go for a good 4 wheel alignment. I will keep you posted on my findings.
jim
Old 05-31-2018, 12:12 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 839 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by jwc1955
Hello All
I have been experiencing some handling issues on some of the local roads that are less than smooth. The roads in question are tar and chip and i find my 79 darts and bolts let or right depending on the road. The car handles fine on regular highways. It has the 25560R15 tires and I wondered if the wide tire tends to follow imperfections in the road surface.I'm thinking, and hoping, that a wheel alignment will correct the problem. Is the anything special about aligning the corvette or is it something any decent alignment shop can handle. Any advantage in have a GM dealer do the alignment.
Thanks in advance
Jim
Keep this for reference.

https://tech.corvettecentral.com/201...ignment-specs/
jwc1955 (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 08:26 AM
jwc1955
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by caskiguy
Thanks for the info. A great reference sheet to keep.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Handling issues on uneven roads