C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CS144 only charges at 12v when running

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 01:34 PM
Dreadknot
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CS144 only charges at 12v when running

Just installed a brand new cs144 from a 96 roadmaster as per instructions from another thread. I purchased the alternator from summit and wired it in yesterday. Only charges to 12 volts. Took it back and got another one with more amps just to see what happens. Same thing. Its a 77 with generator light. I have tried both si to cs harness with and without resistor. I no longer have an original alternator gauge. My gauges are updated to digital. But if I put the old 140 amp alternator in, it charges to 14 but does not keep up with my cooling fans at idle, hence the switch. im now lost at what is going on.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:02 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Charging to 12 volts in itself really isn't an issue-
It's if it can keep the battery charged at 12 volts under load.
What happens when you turn all the accessories on (headlights, blower motor etc)?
Does the voltage remain at 12 volts or do things start to dim and slow down?
Have you tested with a good voltmeter or are you relying on the gauge in the dash?
Old 05-31-2018, 06:27 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

It doesn't seem like the CS144 is self exciting. Did you try revving the engine to about 2500 rpms to see if the volts come up?

Seems like the alternator is not getting the 12v start up signal it needs, either you have the wrong plug adapter or something.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:36 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Go perform the tests in posts #9 of this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595487859

You should be easily reading something like 13.3 to 14.2 vdc. Mine does and I got it at a junkyard just to check if it fit.

You can also get the alternator tested at your local parts store to see if it's ok.

But, really, you oughta do both. Do the checks in the above mentioned posts to make sure AND also go get the alternator checked at your local parts store (they should do it for free).

Originally Posted by Dreadknot
Just installed a brand new cs144 from a 96 roadmaster as per instructions from another thread. I purchased the alternator from summit and wired it in yesterday. Only charges to 12 volts. Took it back and got another one with more amps just to see what happens. Same thing. Its a 77 with generator light. I have tried both si to cs harness with and without resistor. I no longer have an original alternator gauge. My gauges are updated to digital. But if I put the old 140 amp alternator in, it charges to 14 but does not keep up with my cooling fans at idle, hence the switch. im now lost at what is going on.

Last edited by carriljc; 05-31-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To CS144 only charges at 12v when running

Quick Reply: CS144 only charges at 12v when running